ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Hilinski (2019 qb offer) - sad news

This is so sad.

Depression is an illness that can be so easily disregarded until it is too late as its victims seek a permanent solution to what with treatment and counseling can be a temporary problem. Thoughts and prayers to his family at this most difficult of times.

Friday evening CBS devoted their Hawaii Five-0 episode to the topic with a closing public awareness message. (Pulling it up to watch might be of some help to others either as a preventative measure or to gain understanding.) *

* From a review from The Honolulu Star-Advertiser of the above referenced program:

"The overall message of the episode was a little more serious than most of their other episodes. “Hawaii Five-0” likes to champion a cause each year– last year it was human trafficking. This episode was no different, as directly after the episode actor Chi McBride appears in a PSA for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and available 24/7, it’s free and confidential, and available to everyone in the U.S.

After watching the amazing performances of McBride and Sawa, who played Brad, it was very effective to run the PSA after the episode. With the role the police and military play in “Hawaii Five-0” it was so powerful to have the show support an issue that seems to be one our service members struggle with, as well as our loved ones who also deal with depression and other mental illnesses. While suicide is sadly prevalent in our society, we don’t seem willing to openly talk about it or even deal with it. But after watching two powerful performances by these two actors– it was nice to have a better ending to the story than what typically happens in similar situations. Sometimes facing a truth is far more rewarding than escaping reality."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/01/13/features/five-0-redux/five-0-helps-us-see-important-truth/

Last edited:
This is so sad.

Depression is an illness that can be so easily disregarded until it is too late as its victims seek a permanent solution to what with treatment and counseling can be a temporary problem. Thoughts and prayers to his family at this most difficult of times.

Friday evening CBS devoted their Hawaii Five-0 episode to the topic with a closing public awareness message. (Pulling it up to watch might be of some help to others either as a preventative measure or to gain understanding.) *

* From a review from The Honolulu Star-Advertiser of the above referenced program:

"The overall message of the episode was a little more serious than most of their other episodes. “Hawaii Five-0” likes to champion a cause each year– last year it was human trafficking. This episode was no different, as directly after the episode actor Chi McBride appears in a PSA for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and available 24/7, it’s free and confidential, and available to everyone in the U.S.

After watching the amazing performances of McBride and Sawa, who played Brad, it was very effective to run the PSA after the episode. With the role the police and military play in “Hawaii Five-0” it was so powerful to have the show support an issue that seems to be one our service members struggle with, as well as our loved ones who also deal with depression and other mental illnesses. While suicide is sadly prevalent in our society, we don’t seem willing to openly talk about it or even deal with it. But after watching two powerful performances by these two actors– it was nice to have a better ending to the story than what typically happens in similar situations. Sometimes facing a truth is far more rewarding than escaping reality."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/01/13/features/five-0-redux/five-0-helps-us-see-important-truth/
Well said. This is a difficult disease for most of us to understand. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Well said. This is a difficult disease for most of us to understand. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

Agree. I can’t imagine what a person must be going through to attempt suicide. Depression and other mental health disorders are the least appreciated and most stereotyped we have, and they can be just horrible.

Reactions: GOUNUII
As someone who has experienced suicide of someone close, know they are hurting now. Send positive thoughts their way.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...linski-found-dead-apparent-suicide-police-say

Just awful. I never got a chance to talk to Tyler, but Ryan is a very impressive kid - very smart, engaging and mature; a born leader. He has to be devastated. He really looked up to Tyler and liked to talk about him.

We just experienced a suicide in our extended family recently. It’s a terrible thing. As a parent, I can’t imagine anything worse. Losing a child is horrific under any circumstances. Losing a child to suicide had to be just about the worst thing a human being can go through in life.

My thoughts are with the Hilinskis.

Terrible news. Had a good friend whose brother who committed suicide while we were in med school. It was via GSW. Terribly difficult time for him and his family as it is for Ryan and his.

Just awful. I never got a chance to talk to Tyler, but Ryan is a very impressive kid - very smart, engaging and mature; a born leader. He has to be devastated. He really looked up to Tyler and liked to talk about him.

We just experienced a suicide in our extended family recently. It’s a terrible thing. As a parent, I can’t imagine anything worse. Losing a child is horrific under any circumstances. Losing a child to suicide had to be just about the worst thing a human being can go through in life.

My thoughts are with the Hilinskis.
I had a friend I knew as a kid that jumped off a building as a teenager. I kid from across the street killed himself a couple years ago. Really rough on the families and friends

As a person who has struggled with clinical depression most of my life, I can say that it is impossible to convey what it is like. Depression runs deep in my family. My help came because there was no stigma about it in my family. If anyone who is reading this suffers, please get help.

The thoughts that run through a depressive's mind are a Catch 22. The mood is so black that a person tells himself that help is a waste of time and it will never work. Those close to a suicide are almost never at fault. Depressed people are experts at masking their problems. My sympathy goes out to the families. The "what if I had" syndrome must be brutal. You can tell these people it is not their fault, but they almost never believe it.

As a person who has struggled with clinical depression most of my life, I can say that it is impossible to convey what it is like. Depression runs deep in my family. My help came because there was no stigma about it in my family. If anyone who is reading this suffers, please get help.

The thoughts that run through a depressive's mind are a Catch 22. The mood is so black that a person tells himself that help is a waste of time and it will never work. Those close to a suicide are almost never at fault. Depressed people are experts at masking their problems. My sympathy goes out to the families. The "what if I had" syndrome must be brutal. You can tell these people it is not their fault, but they almost never believe it.

Thanks for sharing Stream and I echo that re: getting help.

May also be mindful to note that with anonymity on message boards comes a lot of people with issues we don't know about. While you are not responsible for them, just an ask to default to kind when you can.

Very tragic. I lost a friend and co-worker due to postpartum depression about two years ago. It hit us at work hard and she left behind a baby and husband.

As someone who has experienced suicide of someone close, know they are hurting now. Send positive thoughts their way.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...linski-found-dead-apparent-suicide-police-say
This is a horrifying tragedy - thoughts with and prayers for his family and friends. Rest in peace, Tyler.

Like others who have replied, this one hurts as it’s so close to home. A close family member of mine attempted it last year, but, thank God, emergency personnel had already been contacted and intervened in time - he’s doing ok now. Another distant family member wasn’t so lucky a few years ago, and is no longer with us - may she rest in peace.

And a classmate and friend at NU, Caleb Jordan from the rugby team,
sadly passed from it his senior year. He was the nicest guy, had lots of friends, and nobody saw it coming - may he rest in peace.

I read recently that suicides are twice as common in the US as homicides, which is a heartbreaking statistic. Please, if you’re depressed and ever need help, tell trusted family members or friends or call a Suicide Hotline. You’re not alone and things are rarely as bad as they seem in life. The sun will orbit back around tomorrow and every dawn represents a fresh start.

This is a horrifying tragedy - thoughts with and prayers for his family and friends. Rest in peace, Tyler.

Like others who have replied, this one hurts as it’s so close to home. A close family member of mine attempted it last year, but, thank God, emergency personnel had already been contacted and intervened in time - he’s doing ok now. Another distant family member wasn’t so lucky a few years ago, and is no longer with us - may she rest in peace.

And a classmate and friend at NU, Caleb Jordan from the rugby team,
sadly passed from it his senior year. He was the nicest guy, had lots of friends, and nobody saw it coming - may he rest in peace.

I read recently that suicides are twice as common in the US as homicides, which is a heartbreaking statistic. Please, if you’re depressed and ever need help, tell trusted family members or friends or call a Suicide Hotline. You’re not alone and things are rarely as bad as they seem in life. The sun will orbit back around tomorrow and every dawn represents a fresh start.
I knew Caleb Jordan well. Great person, a gentle giant, compared to myself, and went out of his way to help you out. His proficiency in Mandarin was a shock the first time I met him but later realized what a man of many talents he was.

A good therapist can he hard to find. Don't be afraid to try a few to find the right fit

Reactions: StreamCat
ADVERTISEMENT