ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Hilinski

Funny all the ties to Croatia. I lived there from 1997 to 2000. It is still my favorite place to visit. I was working as a consultant to privatize some of the government owned businesses as the country was coming out of war with the Serbians. Landed in 1997 to soldiers lining both sides of the runway and left with the airport in normal use. Wonderful sites along the Adriatic coast and fantastic food and service. Never made it to Dubrovnik unfortunately but visited Split often. It was strange to have to teach how capitalism worked as they were deeply entrenched into communistic thinking.

Just Gary - interesting overlap. I bounced between Podgorica, Sarajevo and Prishtina with stints of time in Bar (a fair amount in Budva. So long as you steer clear of the Russian mafia, Ibiza eat your heart out!). I survived a frolic into a minefield just north of Mostar. I can only talk about some of the stuff I did, might I presume that you have similar constraints?

Only visited briefly, but yes, a small, well preserved ancient city. Scenes from Game of Thrones filmed there. Also, purportedly, Croatia is the birth place of both Zinfandel grapes and the neck tie.

Dubrovnik is well preserved but there is still evidence of the shelling during the war, which is best seen by taking the tram up the hill, I believe , to a former Napoleonic tower . It's food is definitely influenced by Italy

My wife and I took a boat tour to see the walled city from the sea but the tour concluded with a tour around the small island of Lokrum to the south , supposedly previously occupied by Richard the Lionhearted during his return from the Crusades . The boat rounded the southern tip of the island and my wife commented on the men exercising on the rocky shore. We then recognized that the men were naked and they were not exercising

Last edited:
I studied abroad in Croatia while at NU. A fascinating, beautiful place. Plitvice Lakes remains my favorite place in the world I’ve ever visited. Worth a look even on Google.
Holy Schmoly, scroll down to the slide show.

Reactions: rwhitney014
Hilinski to Helsinki to a tour of the former Eastern bloc. Interesting.
We drove Athens - Vienna - Istanbul - Athens in 1972. Wonderful trip and I agree completely with the praise of Plitvice and Dubrovnik. But I will add for out of the way sites Macedonia, Budapest, Romania and NE Greece as great areas to visit.
A lot of travel to catch up on when this virus is no longer an issue.
And Go Cats, to keep it football related.

From a Gamecock fan, congrats on picking up Hilinski. It'll be our loss that he chose to depart. He'll be a good one for you guys. Curses on Mike Bobo for screwing him over this past season.
Just curious, do you drive a dark red BMW?

Hilinkski's .9695 rating on TOS out of high school is second only to Ifeadi according to their rankings going back to 2001. This does not take into account HJ and Prater.

ADVERTISEMENT