ADVERTISEMENT

Scumbaugh Strikes Again!

corbi296

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2005
What a joke. This guy is a scumbag. Swenson is a great prospect and kid. He stuck with Michigan when everybody in the world was after him. Harbaugh kissed Swenson's ass after he took the Michigan job and now less than a month before signing day he cancels the kid's official visit and pulls his scholarship. Word is that Michigan is trying to use Swenson's scholarship to poach Josh King from MSU. I hope HS coaches and HS players in the Big Ten region blackball Michigan until they get rid of this scumbag. If my kid was a big time recruit, I would never trust Harbaugh enough to let my son go play for him . His act will wear thin. He will be back in the NFL where he belongs within three years.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind...html#incart_most-commented_wolverines_article

Last edited:
Reactions: FloridAlum
Harbaugh can't even blame it on injuries or grades this time...

What a joke. This guy is a scumbag. Swenson is a great prospect and kid. He stuck with Michigan when everybody in the world was after him. Harbaugh kissed Swenson's ass after he took the Michigan job and now less than a month before signing day he cancels the kid's official visit and pulls his scholarship. Word is that Michigan is trying to use Swenson's scholarship to poach Josh King from MSU. I hope HS coaches and HS players in the Big Ten region blackball Michigan until they get rid of this scumbag. If my kid was a big time recruit, I would never trust Harbaugh enough to let my son go play for him . His act will wear thin. He will be back in the NFL where he belongs within three years.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind...html#incart_most-commented_wolverines_article

I feel bad for the kid. Playing at UoM was his dream. But he's going to get a scholarship somewhere so it isn't like he's not going to play Power 5 college football. Like he says, God has a plan and this may at the end of the day make him stronger.

Reactions: nycat33

One guy in the comments under that article keeps saying he'll end up at Northwestern. Is that based on anything real?

I don't know why Harbaugh made this decision. But I can tell you it doesn't sit well with some of us largely because it doesn't seem to make sense. He's a good player at a position of need and a good kid with good grades. I've heard he's Northwestern bound. So that's good for you guys.

One guy in the comments under that article keeps saying he'll end up at Northwestern. Is that based on anything real?
His family has season tickets, we were supposedly a finalist the first time around, and we have an open spot.

College is for teaching lessons, and among them are sometimes you get screwed

No doubt, but if I were the President of such a prestigious institution of higher learning like Michigan, I would not want my Head Football coach to be the one screwing and teaching this hard lesson to fine young men like Erik Swenson. Institutions of higher learning like Michigan and Northwestern are supposed to be setting the highest ethical example for their students. Harbaugh is falling far short of that and Michigan is sacrificing its reputation for the sake of winning at all costs. Shame on them.

Last edited:

Yes, we have a really good shot but it is not a lock. I think our competition are schools like Vandy, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Last edited:
I don't know why Harbaugh made this decision. But I can tell you it doesn't sit well with some of us largely because it doesn't seem to make sense. He's a good player at a position of need and a good kid with good grades. I've heard he's Northwestern bound. So that's good for you guys.
It shouldn't sit well with you largely because it's highly unethical! Does that mean anything anymore in the big money world of college football?

This kid has known his position with the recruiting class was not guaranteed and was encouraged to find a backup plan months ago. This didn't come as a surprise to him. It's just coming out now.

This kid has known his position with the recruiting class was not guaranteed and was encouraged to find a backup plan months ago. This didn't come as a surprise to him. It's just coming out now.
Find that hard to believe as he tweeted on Jan 3: “One more month until I sign #GoBlue”. Doesn't sound like something he knew about for months.

It shouldn't sit well with you largely because it's highly unethical! Does that mean anything anymore in the big money world of college football?
That's BS. Swenson's HS season was over long ago yet he was still scheduled to take his official visit and still had a Michigan offer as of a few days ago. If Harbaugh truly was disappointed in Swenson's on field performance and did not feel he was good enough to play at Michigan, then he could have pulled the offer and shut down communications with Swenson in November. He did not. Why? Because Harbaugh was hedging his bets and did not pull the rug out from under Swenson until he was certain he could find a better player. Word is locally that Harbaugh will use Swenson's scholarship to poach Josh King from MSU. Harbaugh flat out used the kid and left him high and dry at the last moment. This behavior is reprehensible and should not be tolerated by Michigan or any self respecting university.

Last edited:

I predict there will be at least 2 more decommits in the Michigan class. Those 2 decommits will be lower ranked recruits for Michigan. Must be nice to stick with s school through coaching changes, bad times and act as a recruiter of other prospects only to shown the door when someone perceived to be better comes around. All this while your head coach shows up at a kickers house at 12:01 am to woe him away from PSU, climbs a tree in front of another's home and sits in a class allowing himself to be in selfies for another player they HAVE to have. I have nothing against Michigan fans, but this guy is a world class jackass.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

I spoke with someone close to the family and got some additional details about the situation. Just to further dispel your delusional notion, Harbaugh stopped by the Swenson house for an in home visit just before the Holiday dead period went into effect. Everything was peachy then but it all changed on January 9th when Harbaugh made Drevno call the Swenson's to tell him his official visit was cancelled and his scholarship was pulled. When confronted with the news, Erik asked to speak with Harbaugh directly about the situation but Harbaugh did not have the balls to call Erik and his family back. That's Jim Harbaugh in a nutshell for you ladies and gentlemen. A maniacal/successful football coach and an awful, cowardly human being.

Last edited:
I spoke with someone close to the family and got some additional details about the situation. Just to further dispel your delusional notion, Harbaugh stopped by the Swenson house for an in home visit just before the Holiday dead period went into effect. Everything was peachy then but it all changed on January 9th when Harbaugh made Drevno call the Swenson's to tell him his official visit was cancelled and his scholarship was pulled. When confronted with the news, Erik asked to speak with Harbaugh directly about the situation but Harbaugh did not have the balls to call Erik and his family back. That's Jim Harbaugh in a nutshell for you ladies and gentlemen. A maniacal/successful football coach and an awful, cowardly human being.
Wow, some crazy stuff Corb. I think the whole system needs to change. On one hand I can see it is better to find out before you enroll that the coach doesn't think you are good enough, but on the another hand, this is a highly rated prospect that realistically should be able to compete for playing time but was never given the opportunity. If offers were commitable offers, coaches wouldn't throw them out like candy. This kid got screwed, plain and simple.

I guess it is now acceptable to ask her to the Prom and drop her a few weeks before when a prettier girl comes along. Why not, she is good looking enough to find another date in 2 weeks?

Jim "Scumbaugh" kicked our ass.

If the end result is all you care about, then maybe you should become a Michigan fan. I, on other hand, believe in karma and feel that eventually Harbaugh will reap what he sows. NU and Fitz can be successful without resorting to this disgusting behavior.

Reactions: Fitz51 and nu greek
Tot f'ing douchbag. The guy is insane AND an asshole, not a good combo. I hope this kid commits to Cats, he will be better of on the long run.

The timing is the issue. The season ended over a month ago. If JH was pulling the offer based on performance, the absolute latest point he should have pulled the offer would have been season's end. He had more than enough data to make that call, yet he strung the kid along until 2 weeks before Signing Day.

The fact that the kid has plenty of good options left is irrelevant.

This makes Harbaugh look like a real PoS.

Reactions: Indy Cat93
Find that hard to believe as he tweeted on Jan 3: “One more month until I sign #GoBlue”. Doesn't sound like something he knew about for months.

I agree with nycat33 - scUM coaches may have know where Swenson was on the list (behind transferring players Green, Ross-Douglas and Richardson and cut recruits Enis and Weaver - all announced in the last week or so), but they didn't tell him until the dead period was over and he wanted to come in for his official visit.

Oh, Harbaugh is still at least 5 over (the 85 player maximum) until more cuts come (and that's before the numerous other still-available recruits they are chasing)

I feel bad for the kid. Playing at UoM was his dream. But he's going to get a scholarship somewhere so it isn't like he's not going to play Power 5 college football. Like he says, God has a plan and this may at the end of the day make him stronger.

Can we read into that that God's plan does not include selling one's soul to the devil, much less playing for him?

That said, it is always a gamble for a recruit who is recruited by one coach to have that coach switched on him.

Oh, Harbaugh is still at least 5 over (the 85 player maximum) until more cuts come (and that's before the numerous other still-available recruits they are chasing)

Yes, I have read the same thing. He has to find a kid with a hang nail and force the kid to retire. Then he has to tell a few committed guys that admissions hasn't accepted them yet. Finally he has to conduct some random drug testing to bump off a few guys.

Reactions: hoosboot

Dumb question, but why is this only your second post as a Michigan fan since you seem to have inside knowledge that no one else does including the kid himself who reportedly as recently as January 3rd was still true Blue?

Yes, I have read the same thing. He has to find a kid with a hang nail and force the kid to retire. Then he has to tell a few committed guys that admissions hasn't accepted them yet. Finally he has to conduct some random drug testing to bump off a few guys.
The sad thing is, you're not even joking. For what this pathetic jackass so brazenly does to kids, he should not only be banned from coaching . . . he should be in JAIL.

Reactions: FloridAlum
The sad thing is, you're not even joking. For what this pathetic jackass so brazenly does to kids, he should not only be banned from coaching . . . he should be in JAIL.

No, he should be renditioned out to a black op site in eastern Poland, waterboarded, sleep deprived, and left alone to dwell in a cell too small to stand or lay down and covered with his feces.

After a certain period of time, he then should be shuttled to Evanston, paraded down Orrington, and planted and bound on the 50 yard line of Ryan Field, whereupon a pack of wildcats are released to feast on his sore infested carcass. His head would then be planted on top of the rock for seven days of humiliation and to serve as a warning to others.

And then the state must issue a Damnatio Memoriae decree and let's be done with all these redundant recriminations.

Last edited:
No, he should be renditioned out to a black op site in eastern Poland, waterboarded, sleep deprived, and left alone to dwell in a cell too small to stand or lay down and covered with his feces.

After a certain period of time, he then should be shuttled to Evanston, paraded down Orrington, and planted and bound on the 50 yard line of Ryan Field, whereupon a pack of wildcats are released to feast on his sore infested carcass. His head would then be planted on top of the rock for seven days of humiliation and to serve as a warning to others.

And then the state must issue a Damnatio Memoriae decree and let's be done with all these redundant recriminations.
You're being sarcastic, of course, but for a prick of this magnitude, what you suggest isn't much worse than what he deserves. At the very least, he should be professionally blackballed to no end.

Last edited:
You're being sarcastic, of course, but for a prick of this magnitude, what you suggest isn't much worse than what he deserves. At the very least, he should be professionally blackballed to no end.

I was and I am dumbfounded on how he gets away with it. Even if his conduct doesn't precisely violate the letter of regulations, it violates the spirit of measures that were designed to protect the student athlete.

But money corrupts. It always has and it always will. The NCAA won't crack down on "conditional offers" or the faux medical hardships. The media talking heads simply enable Harbaugh. The Michigan fans, if you read their websites, don't seem to mind, because they'd rather experience the buzz of victory at any any cost. Who is Harbaugh? Who is this creature? He is a child nursing from the teat of the aforementioned.

Is the college football apocalypse nigh? It won't be long if such impunity continues.

If only there was a player's union to protect some of the student athletes from these games that coaches play...;)

Riiiiight. The one that attempted to organize NU sought to exclude recruits, walk-ons, and other non-scholarship status players from the bargaining unit. The corruption of the sport would still flow . . . albeit flowing from two sets of the smarmy, piggish, and puckered mouths of sloth.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvanstonCat
I was and I am dumbfounded on how he gets away with it. Even if his conduct doesn't precisely violate the letter of regulations, it violates the spirit of measures that were designed to protect the student athlete.

But money corrupts. It always has and it always will. The NCAA won't crack down on "conditional offers" or the faux medical hardships. The media talking heads simply enable Harbaugh. The Michigan fans, if you read their websites, don't seem to mind, because they'd rather experience the buzz of victory at any any cost. Who is Harbaugh? Who is this creature? He is a child nursing from the teat of the aforementioned.

Is the college football apocalypse nigh? It won't be long if such impunity continues.
Or the workers/players could unite.

Riiiiight. The one that attempted to organize NU sought to exclude recruits, walk-ons, and other non-scholarship status players from the bargaining unit. The corruption of the sport would still flow . . . albeit flowing from two sets of the smarmy, piggish mouths.
Sorry but you don't seem to understand. Only people employed by the university, (i.e.) receiving a schlorship because one works at football, etc. can be negotiated for by an organization.

That's BS. Swenson's HS season was over long ago yet he was still scheduled to take his official visit and still had a Michigan offer as of a few days ago. If Harbaugh truly was disappointed in Swenson's on field performance and did not feel he was good enough to play at Michigan, then he could have pulled the offer and shut down communications with Swenson in November. He did not. Why? Because Harbaugh was hedging his bets and did not pull the rug out from under Swenson until he was certain he could find a better player. Word is locally that Harbaugh will use Swenson's scholarship to poach Josh King from MSU. Harbaugh flat out used the kid and left him high and dry at the last moment. This behavior is reprehensible and should not be tolerated by Michigan or any self respecting university.

There are always two sides to a story and you are believing the one that is out there. JH cannot comment on this, but enough people behind the scenes have said the kid knew for some time and he was encouraged to take other visits. If he couldn't understand what that meant, then its on him and his family.

ADVERTISEMENT