ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half game thread UW

How in the world did that happen? Thorson needs to learn to sail the ball. This was just the worst example. There were plenty others.

Whatever you want to say about the O-Line, that safety was 100% on CT...

Thorson is not even close to being the problem. If this was a good OL performance, heaven help us. Whisky is going simple delay stunts and we look like we never saw them before. Many times our guys are pushed completely back into CT.

Thorson didn't play well. Pick 6 and end of the game safety killed us.

OK, I was about to type that it was impressive we made it a 1 score game at the end and then Thorson makes an almost incomprehensible mistake. How in the world do you not just chuck that ball out of bounds. I realize we had very little chance to drive 90 yards with no timeouts, but he had plenty of time to throw it away and absolutely no excuse to take that safety.

This “close” game does not mask the huge problems we have on OL. Our defensive front 7 was under as much scrutiny before today but they definitely stepped it up. The OL, not so much.

Reactions: Fitz51 and kreggk
OK, I was about to type that it was impressive we made it a 1 score game at the end and then Thorson makes an almost incomprehensible mistake. How in the world do you not just chuck that ball out of bounds. I realize we had very little chance to drive 90 yards with no timeouts, but he had plenty of time to throw it away and absolutely no excuse to take that safety.

It should never have been 90 yards... the onside kick was idiotic. Boot it into the end zone, hold them - and we start at the 30ish...

Are you really trying to blame that sack and safety on the OL? You guys really have no clue.

Nope - those were on Thorson, but for the majority of the game, he played scared for a reason. That reason was the O-line's absolute inability to handle anything thrown at them by Wisconsin. You think the rest of the B1G will be any easier? There's something seriously wrong along the o-line and it needs to be fixed. My first thought is that recruiting should not be this hard at that position.

Semantics. Fine = good enough to win.

But it was not good enough to win or even close. It was good enough to score a whopping 10 points in one half - despite awesome field position the entire half!! - and then crater the rest of the game until Wisconsin called off the dogs.

That was actually mediocre to poor performance in the first half given the chance the offense had to put up a lot of points there and squandered it. It only looked good compared to their vomit inducing performance in the second.

Look l, I have been one of the OLs biggest critics and one of Thorson's biggest supporters to date. Today was different. If Thorson had played like a sure fire NFL QB we would have won this game. He did not.

Look l, I have been one of the OLs biggest critics and one of Thorson's biggest supporters to date. Today was different. If Thorson had played like a sure fire NFL QB we would have won this game. He did not.

To that point, I see a bunch of pro scouts who will be happy that at least they'll have Barkley to analyze next week....

I don't see one person agreeing with you that the O Line played "fine"

Thorson sucked too, but that's a different argument

That's the difference between you and I. I don't draw conclusions about what is happening by consensus. I base them by what I am seeing with my own eyes. The OL played much better today and it should have even good enough had our QB played like a soon to be first round pick. He did not.

That's the difference between you and I. I don't draw conclusions about what is happening by consensus. I base them by what I am seeing with my own eyes. The OL played much better today and it should have even good enough had our QB played like a soon to be first round pick. He did not.

Okay and I'm going to defer to GCG's opinion that it didn't play well

But good offensive teams seemed to at least slow down the blitz. And Wisky wasn't blitzing all day. They were rushing four... even on the bltizes, they were dropping linemen and sending LBs.
This. Zone blitzing all day long. OL was incapable of picking up the blitz, communicating, and adjusting for it.

CT shares blame in that i don't see him reading the blitzes well, making hot reads, of knowing where to go with the ball quickly enough once he does read the blitz. I thought he looked to be panicky and shaken from early on in this one. He seems to have a hard time in hear difficult road environments?

Okay and I'm going to defer to GCG's opinion that it didn't play well

Ha. First of all, I didn't say they played well. I said they played better and good enough to win. Secondly, I don't remember reading a post from him saying anything about the level of OL play yesterday.

Ha. First of all, I didn't say they played well. I said they played better and good enough to win. Secondly, I don't remember reading a post from him saying anything about the level of OL play yesterday.

To each their own

I can't tell if it's a good thing or bad thing that we all expect much better out of NU at this point and if it's all just an exercise in futility or not. Is expecting NU to be a program that can compete for a west title every few years too much to ask for? Starting to feel like it is after years of defending them as a program who can and will win on a consistent basis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT