ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for NU vs. Providence

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
NU looks like a different team tonight and leads 40-29 at the half.

The zone defense is working pretty well. NU ran a 2-2-1 and a 1-3-1 and Providence is shooting just 28.6% at the half -- of course, they just flat-out missed some uncontested layups too.

Offensively, Nance is really showing some skills, Beran has two 3s and Kopp leads with 10. NU is shooting very well -- 60%, more than double Providence's percentage. But the Friars are killing them on the boards, a byproduct of running a zone. PC has a 12-3 edge on offensive rebounds and has taken 15 more shots than NU. And get this, the Friars have more offensive rebounds than defensive (8).

If Providence shoots the ball better, they will get back into this game. Diallo, they're leading scorer, is 2-11 from the floor.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
The fact that they have 12 offensive rebounds in one half and we’re up by 11 is almost hard to believe. Seriously, think about that. Having double digit offensive rebounds in one half and losing by double digits at halftime. That has to be a very uncommon occurrence.

The fact that they have 12 offensive rebounds in one half and we’re up by 11 is almost hard to believe. Seriously, think about that. Having double digit offensive rebounds in one half and losing by double digits at halftime. That has to be a very uncommon occurrence.
Our defense is stifling

This is incredible. Love that the Cats have come out and played this way following such an embarrassing loss. Shows a lot of character and you can see confidence building. Let’s finish this off strong. No letdown.

Gaines deserved that 3 with his effort on the rebound/loose ball. He's playing like a senior captain tonight

Reactions: Titanium999
Basketball is fun when you’re playing with confidence. They look improved on the defensive end. Surprised Providence hasn’t gone zone themselves. Northwestern didn’t look like they knew how to beat it vs Merrimack.

We look like we can match the physicality of the Big Ten. Spencer,Beran,Young,Kopp and Nance and even Jones look huge! I think the wildcats will do fine in the Big Ten!

As someone who didn't see a minute of the Merrimack game (and also wants to deny its very existence), I'm surprised at how not terrible the Cats are.

Providence has missed a lot of easy shots tonight, but NU's defense has had a lot to do with the low shooting percentage too. I could see this team being fun to watch this year.

This level of shooting success obviously isn’t sustainable in the long run, but this game is a lot of fun and a big reason to exhale after an embarrassing loss.

This level of shooting success obviously isn’t sustainable in the long run, but this game is a lot of fun and a big reason to exhale after an embarrassing loss.
Another turnover — let’s not exhale just yet :)

As someone who didn't see a minute of the Merrimack game (and also wants to deny its very existence), I'm surprised at how not terrible the Cats are.

Providence has missed a lot of easy shots tonight, but NU's defense has had a lot to do with the low shooting percentage too. I could see this team being fun to watch this year.

Same here. I’m not ready to say they’re ok, but hey, we’re gonna tie the football team for wins here shortly.

Young looks like a beast!

He may be the biggest surprise of all this year. He's more athletic than I thought he would be and is a smart player. When he waited for contact, then used the reverse lay-up before going apeshit in front of the bench -- that was a veteran move. Pretty impressive for a redshirt freshman.

Ty Berry cannot get there fast enough. The ballhandling is pathetic. High dribbling, panic, picking up the dribble. If he doesn't walk into a starting role, something is wrong.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Agree that the weakness on this team is ball handling. Across-the-board guards and forwards.

I have no idea how often this happens, but five Wildcats with seven or more rebounds in the same game.

Reactions: Titanium999
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT