ADVERTISEMENT

Second-half thread for NU vs PSU

New AD should get the chance to restart the MBB program. No point in keeping Collins. Just burning money with MBB.
We can’t be this bad 8 or however many years into his tenure. I’m sick of the excuses thrown out. Basketball is the easiest sport to turn around and our inability to do so is maddening. We’ve done it in football and that’s far more challenging to do.

Reactions: drewjin and pnt16
We can’t be this bad 8 or however many years into his tenure. I’m sick of the excuses thrown out. Basketball is the easiest sport to turn around and our inability to do so is maddening. We’ve done it in football and that’s far more challenging to do.
Worse than Vandy Football and they don't even invest in their programs.

Really good players don't want to come to a small private school with no fan base and no tradition. It would take a miracle worker. CCC has his strengths but he ain't a miracle worker.

Really good players don't want to come to a small private school with no fan base and no tradition. It would take a miracle worker. CCC has his strengths but he ain't a miracle worker.
I agree. He’s changing our image, which is huge. Better things will come because of it. Pound the rock!

I don’t get why Audige is allowed to do that. He doesn’t consistently hit outside shots.

We had 4 guys shooting well and for some reason Audige who was like 2-10 decides he wants to try and be the man down the stretch. This team could be better if they quit shooting themselves in the foot. Audige took 3 of our last 6-7 shots in the final about 3 minutes.

Too many turnovers and Penn state steals. As I’ve said before the way the bb team plays is the direct opposite of the normal intelligent play of the football team. Hard to watch the self inflicted stupidity at times.

Reactions: drewjin and MC_Cat
Why put out a MBB team? Cut the program.

We had 4 guys shooting well and for some reason Audige who was like 2-10 decides he wants to try and be the man down the stretch. This team could be better if they quit shooting themselves in the foot. Audige took 3 of our last 6-7 shots in the final about 3 minutes.

Too many turnovers and Penn state steals. As I’ve said before the way the bb team plays is the direct opposite of the normal intelligent play of the football team. Hard to watch the self inflicted stupidity at times.
Prior to this game, we were second best in the BigTen in turnovers.

This is a really not the right analysis in my view. When we have been good we’ve had great crowds. They will come (when they can. Every gym is empty right now for those that didn’t notice). And this team is a lot closer than you give it credit for being. When you play a bunch of ranked teams in a row you can get down and quit, or you can stay resilient and let it make you better. That’s not to say I was not frustrated with how the game went down the stretch. We didn’t take the right shots or do what we needed to do on defense even though they tried to hand us the game a couple times. Still this team can win some games and be quite good. We were closer to that tonight and I think because the shot selection and perhaps minutes played with the right rotations were much better. Don’t give up.

Reactions: pnt16
... to the worst team in the conference during a 7 game losing streak. Chris Collins is now 16-52 (.235 winning%) in the B1G over the last 4 seasons.
Pathetic, nothing will change. But hey, he has a great class that is coming in......maybe next year. This whole operation is not very good and has not been for a while.

Reactions: drewjin
To a team that was 1-5 in the B1g playing under an interim head coach not paid $3 Million+.........
And he’s fortunate to have talented players who got the better of us tonight, with some help from the refs.

This is a really not the right analysis in my view. When we have been good we’ve had great crowds. They will come (when they can. Every gym is empty right now for those that didn’t notice). And this team is a lot closer than you give it credit for being. When you play a bunch of ranked teams in a row you can get down and quit, or you can stay resilient and let it make you better. That’s not to say I was not frustrated with how the game went down the stretch. We didn’t take the right shots or do what we needed to do on defense even though they tried to hand us the game a couple times. Still this team can win some games and be quite good. We were closer to that tonight and I think because the shot selection and perhaps minutes played with the right rotations were much better. Don’t give up.
I think we all see potential with these players. But when you have a guy take sho6s he has little chance of making night after night....

I’m rarely like this, but it seems like we’ve been saying this talent has potential for a long time. I loved the tourney team - that team seemed like they could be special for a while before they broke through. But, something just feels off here. And it feels like coaching. I want them to win. I hope they figure it out.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
I think we all see potential with these players. But when you have a guy take sho6s he has little chance of making night after night....

I’m rarely like this, but it seems like we’ve been saying this talent has potential for a long time. I loved the tourney team - that team seemed like they could be special for a while before they broke through. But, something just feels off here. And it feels like coaching. I want them to win. I hope they figure it out.
I agree there is some bad shot selection and not playing within the offensive flow in “some instances”

I love this lineup. We need our stats guy to rate our performance when Boo, Kopp, Nance, Gaines, and Berry (or Audige) are on the court. Not saying I don’t love what Young is doing tonight.
Tonight, Boo-Berry-Gaines-Kopp-Nance outscored PSU 11-4 in 3:10 of playing time. Boo-Audige-Gaines-Kopp-Nance, on the other hand...was the lineup that cost us the game, getting outscored 7-0 in 3:16 of playing time late in the 2nd half.

Prior to tonight's game, Boo-Berry-Gaines-Kopp-Nance was even on the season at 15-15, though having played 3 more offensive possessions than defensive, in a total of 7:09 on the court. High-octane but poor defensively. Boo-Audige-Gaines-Kopp-Nance had previously been +12 (73-61) in 33:05 on the court.

Someone needs to tell Collins that he cannot play Audige and Gaines together. Tonight, they played together for 9:49 and were outscored 24-11. In the 30:11 they were not together, we outscored PSU 67-57. For the season, the 13 different Audige-Gaines lineups are now -72 on the year in an average of 10:28 of playing time per game. The 37 other non-Nicholson lineups are -26 in an average of 28:47 of playing time per game.

Reactions: NU Houston
Tonight, Boo-Berry-Gaines-Kopp-Nance outscored PSU 11-4 in 3:10 of playing time. Boo-Audige-Gaines-Kopp-Nance, on the other hand...was the lineup that cost us the game, getting outscored 7-0 in 3:16 of playing time late in the 2nd half.

Prior to tonight's game, Boo-Berry-Gaines-Kopp-Nance was even on the season at 15-15, though having played 3 more offensive possessions than defensive, in a total of 7:09 on the court. High-octane but poor defensively. Boo-Audige-Gaines-Kopp-Nance had previously been +12 (73-61) in 33:05 on the court.

Someone needs to tell Collins that he cannot play Audige and Gaines together. Tonight, they played together for 9:49 and were outscored 24-11. In the 30:11 they were not together, we outscored PSU 67-57. For the season, the 13 different Audige-Gaines lineups are now -72 on the year in an average of 10:28 of playing time per game. The 37 other non-Nicholson lineups are -26 in an average of 28:47 of playing time per game.
I'd be curious to know what Audige +/- is for the season? Where can I see all of our players?

I'd be curious to know what Audige +/- is for the season? Where can I see all of our players?
I don't have the stats in front of me at the moment but I want to say he is -101 on the season, by far the worst of all of our players. Like, it's not close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT