ADVERTISEMENT

Secondary

techtim72

Gold Member
May 10, 2010
What is the story with the secondary? In the first half receivers were open all over the field. Looked like the Purdue game. Second half much tighter. I thought the secondary would be a strength.

NU's secondary and linebackers a step slow? I guess that is obvious by now. The corners take the heat but I suspect speed at safety is just as problematic. Paddy and Blake are no speed demons. All very good in run support although if a step slow may explain some of the poor angles. A guy like Nate Hall would be gold. On balance secondary is OK not great.

NU's secondary and linebackers a step slow? I guess that is obvious by now. The corners take the heat but I suspect speed at safety is just as problematic. Paddy and Blake are no speed demons. All very good in run support although if a step slow may explain some of the poor angles. A guy like Nate Hall would be gold. On balance secondary is OK not great.
Where do we have any speed on this team? I haven't seen it since AWalk left. For some reason, Fitz doesn't seem to value speed. It baffles me because that is where the game has gone for most other major programs. Its a speed game now and we lack it badly.

Where do we have any speed on this team? I haven't seen it since AWalk left. For some reason, Fitz doesn't seem to value speed. It baffles me because that is where the game has gone for most other major programs. Its a speed game now and we lack it badly.
I think it is only part of the story. Look at the fighting Lovie’s, the recruit speed and size. Not necessarily the the most accomplished players out of HS. It has failed until the last month. I think you need football players with speed not track guys that aren’t good in football.

Cam Ruiz has exceptional speed yet he has struggled at times. Jelani Roberts was supposed to be Tarik Cohen but it never worked out. We have LB’s sitting on the pine that would blow away our 3 starters in a foot race. We have 2 Freshman WR’s that can’t see the field that are more athletic than what we throw out there now. Jefferson has legit speed. What we haven’t had in forever, is the elite game changer on O. The Wandale, Rondale, or any OSU WR type that can run by people.

Reactions: techtim72
We don’t have anywhere near the talent that we’ve had in prior years at safety especially. Igwebuike, Queiro, Campbell, et al. I don’t think we have the same top end of talent in the secondary. Gaziano’s diving PBU yesterday may have been one of the better ones we’ve seen in a while!

Reactions: NUCat320

Asking for a friend, did anyone overhear Fitz say that speed is overrated and he wanted to recruit slow, plodding linebackers after A Walk? Makes sense now.

We don’t have anywhere near the talent that we’ve had in prior years at safety especially. Igwebuike, Queiro, Campbell, et al. I don’t think we have the same top end of talent in the secondary. Gaziano’s diving PBU yesterday may have been one of the better ones we’ve seen in a while!

Funny, but Pace and Whillock were being touted as one of the better safety tandems in the B1G last year. Must've been a dream or something.

Funny, but Pace and Whillock were being touted as one of the better safety tandems in the B1G last year. Must've been a dream or something.

Besides some poor tackling early in the season, Pace and Whillock have been pretty good. Corners, on the other hand, have struggled all year long.

maybe someone who understands defensive schemes can add to this or verify...but it seems in past years the safeties have been all over the field and we had more 1 safety deep coverages with the other safety very active and also more one on one coverages with some jamming at the line of scrimmage...this year cover 2 with two deep safeties and dbacks off the ball....Says to me they do not think this group can cover like last couple years...where I though the fact that we were jamming at the line and playing one on one with safeties all over the field was a sign of our improvement,,,seems different this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT