ADVERTISEMENT

Seriously when can we get a win this is depressing

2-18 is looking more and more like the record I find most likely.

2-18 would make it the 2nd wort season this century.

1-19 would make it the worst.

Indeed, depressing.

Every game we play is not a big deal. We play hard, we have positives, bla bla bla... But reality is that, sooner or later they add up and we are 1-8.

Ugh

Gonna have to roll with it this season. Again.

One more solid recruiting class and NU should be competitive again.

Sure was fun to have an NU team that might win any game.

Indeed, depressing.

Every game we play is not a big deal. We play hard, we have positives, bla bla bla... But reality is that, sooner or later they add up and we are 1-8.

Ugh
Reality is you can’t win in the Big Ten when you are forced to use what really amounted to a six man rotation. Because of an injury Baran got 6 minutes and Jones his usual 8 minutes. They need more people. If they don’t go into next year with at least 12 players and no redshirts or 13 (two fifth years) if they redshirt Nicholson, you will have the same old problems.

Indeed, depressing.

Ugh

even with that record i am still excited to see this group take the floor. every game. i also had zero expectations for this year. like with other bad records we've had cats teams just getting wiped out and dominated in certain aspects. i haven't seen that yet and it excites me. like while 2-18 could be likley, i also think the cats can go out and win 6 games - because they are in games and giving themselves a chance to win. maybe thats crazy but i don't feel desperate or hopeless

Reactions: drewjin and PaCat
even with that record i am still excited to see this group take the floor. every game. i also had zero expectations for this year. like with other bad records we've had cats teams just getting wiped out and dominated in certain aspects. i haven't seen that yet and it excites me. like while 2-18 could be likley, i also think the cats can go out and win 6 games - because they are in games and giving themselves a chance to win. maybe thats crazy but i don't feel desperate or hopeless
They haven’t given up at all. Don’t care about the record this year. Care about the young guys continuing to improve.

Reactions: drewjin
We’ve already had a 1 win in conference season this century, although we won eight total games so being below that is in play.

Before the season started I thought we were bad, but 3 to 5 wins bad. 3 at worst, 5 at best. Even after losing to Merrimack, Radford, Hartford, I thought we were better than I expected. Games like Providence, BC, DePaul made me believe we were probably a 4-6 win team.

I guess we all measure things against our expectations. And, right now, it just feels it will be worse than I expected with this group. Wasn't expecting much.

Maybe it makes no difference, all depends on the kids in question, but I go back to thinking how will we convince kids to come play in Evanston for a team with an abysmal record. Hey, it looks bad, but we have talent and we fought hard in each game. Are they going to buy that? Are they going to buy that we have Thor's hammer and rock to pound? I'm worried even if still feeling we can have a big leap next year.

Reality is you can’t win in the Big Ten when you are forced to use what really amounted to a six man rotation. Because of an injury Baran got 6 minutes and Jones his usual 8 minutes. They need more people. If they don’t go into next year with at least 12 players and no redshirts or 13 (two fifth years) if they redshirt Nicholson, you will have the same old problems.

Injuries are not just a Northwestern thing. And good teams find a way to win. And, over the course of a season, you will play teams that are banged up more than you are.

Friday - went to see Marquette @ Butler. Butler had the starting point guard, Aaron Thompson, and the second guy off the bench, Christian David, injured. Both juniors, combine for 46.5 minutes. Bench played 52 minutes for the game, 31 coming from Henry Baddley, who averages 11 minutes a game. This in an OT game. Butler won.

Saturday - went to see Bradley @ Indiana State. Had to see that Larry Bird statue :) Bradley had 8 available players. No one else even warmed up. They lost in a very close game.

That was a 1-17. Still arguably better than a 1-19 if that were to happen.
I seem to remember an 0-16 Big Ten season in the 90s. Team won five nonconference games, I think, but as I remember it, the talent on that team was terribad compared to this group (and older too)

I just wrote something about how they only need a couple pieces. But you make a good point. You gotta get a few wins somewhere.

Penn State? It's lost every game on the road? Rutgers is winnable (Yes, I don't care about their record. They've beat PSU, Wisconsin, Indiana and Minnesota at home.)

Minnesota at the Welsh?

Nebraska on the road?

Let's see how those games roll.

Indeed, depressing.

Ugh

We’re ranked 114 in KenPom. 10 of our last 11 games are against teams ranked 39 or better.

Miami is ranked 115 in KenPom. 10 of their last 11 games are against teams ranked 48 or worse.

We just don’t have any margin for error, the teams we play are too good. I think we would win 5-6 games in just about any other major league but easily could finish our year with 1 or 2.

KenPom has NW as 113. I understand how a mathematical model arrives at that conclusion based on the data presented to it, but truth is I suspect the team is much better than that. There will be regression to the mean, and I’d expect that this team will not go 1-9 in the second half of the conference slate.

If they can string some wins together and build some momentum headed into the offseason, that will go a long way in recruiting and keeping the current roster intact.

Reactions: DaCat
Could Porter Moser be persuaded to coach Northwestern?

Was he persuaded to coach St. John's?

He's a local, bla bla bla. Northwestern is, historically, a far less attractive place to coach than St. John's.

Answer is, more than likely, no. Mute point anyway, CC is going nowhere.

Moser is a solid coach, but recruiting at the next level is a whole 'nother ballgame. I think he made the decision that he's right where he wants to be. The folks at Illinois State must be feeling a bit chagrined as they watch their team sink lower in the Valley. Fired Moser after he finished 15-16 in his fourth season there.

KenPom has NW as 113. I understand how a mathematical model arrives at that conclusion based on the data presented to it, but truth is I suspect the team is much better than that. There will be regression to the mean, and I’d expect that this team will not go 1-9 in the second half of the conference slate.

If they can string some wins together and build some momentum headed into the offseason, that will go a long way in recruiting and keeping the current roster intact.

Those are my thoughts too. I would like to adopt you as an honorary Cats fan. And pass some of our Negative Nellies over to U of I.

Moser is a solid coach, but recruiting at the next level is a whole 'nother ballgame. I think he made the decision that he's right where he wants to be. The folks at Illinois State must be feeling a bit chagrined as they watch their team sink lower in the Valley. Fired Moser after he finished 15-16 in his fourth season there.
Dan Mueller stinks.

You really think they would have won any more games against the current BIG (12 teams in top 35-40) if they had played two more?

I don't know. And that is why I said "arguably". Because ignoring everything else, and going just by the record, 1-19 would be worse than 1-17.

Without getting too sophisticated, the 1-17 (8-22 overall), in 07/08, was not that bad talent wise, compared to other years. They were youngish, led by a FR Juice averaging 11.6/4.3, a SO Coble, averaging 15.9/5.4 and a JR Craig Moore, averaging 13.4. Kind of suggest the B1G was no easy.

The next year, with the addition of a FR Shurna, they won 8 B1G games. And were 17-14 overall.

Reactions: ricko654321
I don't know. And that is why I said "arguably". Because ignoring everything else, and going just by the record, 1-19 would be worse than 1-17.

Without getting too sophisticated, the 1-17 (8-22 overall), in 07/08, was not that bad talent wise, compared to other years. They were youngish, led by a FR Juice averaging 11.6/4.3, a SO Coble, averaging 15.9/5.4 and a JR Craig Moore, averaging 13.4. Kind of suggest the B1G was no easy.

The next year, with the addition of a FR Shurna, they won 8 B1G games. And were 17-14 overall.

That year seems like a good comparison. We have a pretty good core group of players now, and as they mature along with the infusion of one or two more key guys, we are positioned to be decent-to-good next year and pretty good two years down the road.

The B1G only got 4 tourney teams that year out of 11 and was rated as the 5th-best conference per Kenpom. Don't think it's even a close comparison with this year being rated the best conference by far and anywhere from 9-12 potential tourney teams.

Reactions: hdhntr1
The B1G only got 4 tourney teams that year out of 11 and was rated as the 5th-best conference per Kenpom. Don't think it's even a close comparison with this year being rated the best conference by far and anywhere from 9-12 potential tourney teams.

Sure. Good point. Strengthens the case for defending a 1-19 record if it happens this year.

But still very hard to compare when you just don't know if this year's number of tournament teams is more driven by the quality of the B1G or the lack of quality of the other conferences. In fact, there are advocates/experts, claiming that the overall quality of play is down.

The B1G, in 07/08, featured, among 11 teams, 15 players that would make the NBA. 1.36 per team. That would translate to having 19 players in the league this year that would go on to play in the NBA. The first team to not make the tournament that year was OSU, featuring 3 future pros. 2 were freshmen.

Not trying to be a dick here. Just trying to outline how hard it is to compare. While admitting it is perfectly likely that the 07/08 record was worse than a 1-19 record this year would be. And still think we will win 1 to 2 more games anyway

Reactions: drewjin
Would they have gotten to play Nebraska?
No, however they did get to pay 5-13 IL and MICH as well as 6-12 IA and 7/11 PSU. Presently 9 teams are 500 or better in conference vs only 5 that year. 5 teams finished with less than 500 records with only two presently. There were 3 ranked teams back then. Only 4 NCAA bids vs as many as 8-12 currently projected for this year. Even a 10-8 OSU only went to NIT. We lost the BIG /ACC challenge 8/3. Face it. BIG was no where near as strong then as now so no where near as many opportunities for victories as then. Plus you were much more likely to play bad teams more than once than now as you would play 8 of the other 10 teams twice vs now where you play only 6/13 twice.

No, however they did get to pay 5-13 IL and MICH as well as 6-12 IA and 7/11 PSU. Presently 9 teams are 500 or better in conference vs only 5 that year. 5 teams finished with less than 500 records with only two presently. There were 3 ranked teams back then. Only 4 NCAA bids vs as many as 8-12 currently projected for this year. Even a 10-8 OSU only went to NIT. We lost the BIG /ACC challenge 8/3. Face it. BIG was no where near as strong then as now so no where near as many opportunities for victories as then. Plus you were much more likely to play bad teams more than once than now as you would play 8 of the other 10 teams twice vs now where you play only 6/13 twice.

It was a joke, hunter. You're pretty defensive, dude. Thou dost protest too much.

Indeed, depressing.

Ugh
I would say 3-17 is the most likely outcome at this point. But it is possible it could end up worse. Also could end up better. Tough schedule for a mediocre team.

I would say 3-17 is the most likely outcome at this point. But it is possible it could end up worse. Also could end up better. Tough schedule for a mediocre team.

The way the team is playing, I could see any of those possibilities in addition to a couple of more wins than that. Interestingly, a 3-17 record would put CCC at an NU career winning percentage almost exactly the same as his predecessor both overall and in the B1G. Cracking the nut here is a massive challenge.

I think we will be looking at a 2-27 combined football and basketball record for this year. That would be amazing.

Interestingly, a 3-17 record would put CCC at an NU career winning percentage almost exactly the same as his predecessor both overall and in the B1G.
And more likely CCC will have a worse winning percentage.....hard to see 2 more B1G wins. Better recruiter (although hasn't pulled in a Shurna yet) worse offensive coach. Meh.

Who cares about the wins this year? What needs to happen the rest of the way is Nance showing something. Anything to build on. Right now, he comes off the bench next year. This can’t happen. NU needs him to double double frequently and stop the turnovers.

Who cares about the wins this year? What needs to happen the rest of the way is Nance showing something. Anything to build on. Right now, he comes off the bench next year. This can’t happen. NU needs him to double double frequently and stop the turnovers.

I think very little chance of this happening. Pete Nance is skilled but not very good and I do not think the program should think he is going to turn into some kind of stud.

I actually don’t think it would be a disaster for Nance to come off the bench, as it would mean that Robbie Beran has continued to develop as projected.

Heck, maybe being the go-to guy in the second wave would be a confidence-booster for Pete. Who knows.

Obviously I would like him to reach his full potential but I’m not as convinced as I once was that it will doom the program if he doesn’t.

ADVERTISEMENT