ADVERTISEMENT

Shelton: More than a year later, 'shirtgate' won't go away

Here's @mshelton33's column...

Really? The horror of it all. A son supporting his father ( and a bunch of players still on the team) after the University fired him without any due process outlined in his contract.

Are the current players put off by Jack wearing this shirt? How about the staff? I pretty confident I know what they would tell you if it was off the record.

This is only an issue because it is being brought up in the media. No one else cares and I can guarantee you there are several players that would be in the corner of their former Coaches versus good ole Northwestern University. If it is so egregious, the powers to be above Braun should fire Jack. Of course, we have no idea who exactly those powers are, as the direction of this team has been a ruderless ship only saved by the Godsend called David Braun. Make Jack a Martyr, because Braun is not going to force the removal of the shirt and I believe that would be an unpopular thing to do with his team and so far Braun doesn’t make Mis-steps like that.

Ignore it!

I'm actually somewhat surprised that he decided to remain with NU. I seem to remember he had the test scores to go anywhere he wants and I doubt money is an issue, so he must still have some sort of attachment to the university (maybe that attachment is Braun; I don't know).

I don't see an issue with Fitz's son wearing that shirt with his dad's number and that phrase on it since he's still a student assistant with the team and I can't imagine players having an issue with it.

If it was a coach wearing the shirt I guess it'd be something to talk about, but Fitz's son is a different situation. He has the same free speech rights as everybody else and isn't in under a contract where he represents the coaching staff.

Reactions: ricko654321
I’m pleased the athletic department did not comment. Handle it internally, as it should have been done the first time.

If it were up to me, I would let him wear the shirt. It is a stretch to say that people might be intimidated by an expression of team unity and loyalty to a former coach. Whatever nefarious meanings others want to read into the phrase aren’t Northwestern’s problem. It is drastically unfair to curtail certain potentially unpopular speech on campus while permitting other speech already known to be highly unpopular.

Last edited:
On the spectrum of responses from last year, I stood clearly on the side of “no hazing”, “Coach should have known.” “He bears responsibility.”…and of course, “Gragg and Schill screwed the pooch.” In short, I would have preferred an extended Coach Fitz suspension. I was totally OK with the fact of the firing (if not the process).

I love what Wildcat Report represents and so appreciate Lou, Matt and all contributors.

But, respectfully, this is a column that, in my opinion, did not need to be written. Were the individual wearing the shirt a paid permanent assistant coach, totally an appropriate column. A “junior” assistant. A student at the University. The son of the man at the center of the controversy. Simply not needed.

according to Matt Shelton, "The shirt was an open show of support for Fitzgerald, and it set off a tsunami of criticism in the media"

I would characterize that sentence as blatantly false.
If anything it set off a tsunami of criticism of Derrick Gragg for his tone-deaf, gutless public statement, which, in fact, proved the point of the shirt.

I can't think of anybody who thought the players were in the wrong, but if you're out there, feel free to confess and (finally) apologize.

My parody got capped. But the t-shirt lives. Fitz is gone. Jake is gone. Carl is gone. Ggarg is gone (as AD). But the t-shirt lives.
Hard to believe people are still getting capped in 2024.
Oh wait, I thought you meant knee-capping.

Seriously though, is it possible the young Fitzgerald got a full ride to Northwestern and he's staying for that reason?
To gouge a free, world-class education out of the university that treated his dad so shabbily?
"I'm not leaving - you're leaving"

It seems really strange that a walk-on would be made an assistant to the coaching staff.
Did David Braun decide to accommodate the younger Fitzgerald and rub it in Schill's face?
Fans wanna know!

Maybe Matt Shelton should look into that....

Reactions: IGNORE2
excerpts from a recent article on CBS Sports...

It's early, but Braun was asked the most famous Northwestern alum he'd met.

"This [might be bad] to say, but Pat Fitzgerald?" Braun replied.

Cam Porter says he still exchanges texts with the coach (Fitzgerald) that recruited him.

"He's a stand-up guy who has great morals," the tailback said. "I truly feel he's a great football coach and an even better man. You can do with that information what you want."

"He's a stand-up guy who has great morals," the tailback said. "I truly feel he's a great football coach and an even better man. You can do with that information what you want."
My wife and I do not know Pat or his family especially well, but I'm pretty sure she and I agree that Pat is a better person than me. I am truly blessed to be not quite famous enough to have to "opportunity" to read about myself on social media!

Hard to believe people are still getting capped in 2024.
Oh wait, I thought you meant knee-capping.

Seriously though, is it possible the young Fitzgerald got a full ride to Northwestern and he's staying for that reason?
To gouge a free, world-class education out of the university that treated his dad so shabbily?
"I'm not leaving - you're leaving"

It seems really strange that a walk-on would be made an assistant to the coaching staff.
Did David Braun decide to accommodate the younger Fitzgerald and rub it in Schill's face?
Fans wanna know!

Maybe Matt Shelton should look into that....
He probably would not get that role elsewhere. Maybe he really likes the team. He's close to home, which perhaps matters too. An NU degree is still a good thing to have.

He is not the story. He should not be put into the midst of this tempest in a teacup.

Wearing a shirt supporting Pat Fitzgerald immediately after he had been fired by the university for cause for something as serious a sexualized hazing was tone deaf, especially by a member of the coaching staff.

The difference now is a combination of who is wearing the shirt and the timing. For a student to support his family is very different, as is the timing. I still think it’s tone deaf, but I also support his right to express himself.

He probably would not get that role elsewhere. Maybe he really likes the team. He's close to home, which perhaps matters too. An NU degree is still a good thing to have.

He is not the story. He should not be put into the midst of this tempest in a teacup.
I agree with the several here who believe he should not be the focus of this kind of attention. I feel so strongly that I hereby commit to addressing his situation faithfully in response to articles and related comments until there is no more discussion of him and he is left to pursue his educational and recreational interests!

…Until his dad gets a new job at which time it is altogether appropriate to inquire whether he will alter his educational and recreational endeavors.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Wearing a shirt supporting Pat Fitzgerald immediately after he had been fired by the university for cause for something as serious a sexualized hazing was tone deaf, especially by a member of the coaching staff.

The difference now is a combination of who is wearing the shirt and the timing. For a student to support his family is very different, as is the timing. I still think it’s tone deaf, but I also support his right to express himself.

Schill publicly made the whole team out to be dirtbags, which to me is unforgivable, especially given the overall quality of the young men who Fitzgerald recruited to NU.

The t-shirts were justified.

"Fu@k Schill" t-shirts were also justified, but the players were too classy to do that.

So there was “serious sexual hazing” and the only one who was held to account was Fitz? No one seems to care that some of the “perpetrators ”might still be on the team. Just unreal.

So there was “serious sexual hazing” and the only one who was held to account was Fitz? No one seems to care that some of the “perpetrators ”might still be on the team. Just unreal.

That's right, CD - every investigation seems aimed only at oversight of an apparent crime. All this time has passed and there still seems to be no interest in determining exactly who did what to whom. We don't got to show you no stinking justice.

In the meantime, the shirt looks like free speech.

Reactions: curdog
If you feel “serious sexual hazing” did in fact happen and “perpetrators” are still associated with the team, how can you cheer the young men on?

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Schill publicly made the whole team out to be dirtbags, which to me is unforgivable, especially given the overall quality of the young men who Fitzgerald recruited to NU.

The t-shirts were justified.

"Fu@k Schill" t-shirts were also justified, but the players were too classy to do that.
IIRC, it was more Ggarg than Schill who threw the team under the bus (I could easily be mistaken about Schill's public comments at the time). The Zoom call done by GGarg where he reportedly read a canned statement and then cut off the team without taking a single question (from his hotel in Italy) was the moment that I realized Ggarg was going to be terrible.

I 100% agree that the perpetrators on the team should have been held responsible in an appropriate manner.

I 100% agree that the perpetrators on the team should have been held responsible in an appropriate manner.

That was always a problem for me.
Either it was serious or it wasn't.

And if victims were unwilling to supply names of perpetrators to investigators, how can you expect any player to report their perp teammates to the coach?

Release the Richardson video!
Is this it?

For those who don't know the video clip, its from "The 40 Year Old Virgin" starring Steve Carell.
That movie was released in 2005, they year before Pat Fitzgerald took over as NU's head coach.
"The 40 Year Old Virgin" was named one of the year's Top 10 films by the American Film Institute.

20 years later a scene that is still hilarious to some people will cause others to cringe or take offense.

I don’t believe “serious sexual hazing” occurred. Others do. Would be nice if the school cared to find out.
So far, none of the cases have been dismissed in motion practice. This despite all the player cases being BS. So, there will be discovery and I cannot imagine a competent lawyer not seeking the who done it information. In the least, those individuals are witnesses that would be deposed to determine who they knew to be aware of the practices.

Question is, will anyone leak those names…. Really hope so….

I agree with the several here who believe he should not be the focus of this kind of attention. I feel so strongly that I hereby commit to addressing his situation faithfully in response to articles and related comments until there is no more discussion of him and he is left to pursue his educational and recreational interests!

…Until his dad gets a new job at which time it is altogether appropriate to inquire whether he will alter his educational and recreational endeavors.
He could just be a Squawkeye plant stealing signals for his dad.

I’m kidding, kind of, but let’s be honest - I’m not the only one to have that thought cross my mind

I don't care what he does. I support the University decision to fire the former coach, and Bakjakian was wrong to wear the shirt, but the story is a nothing burger

This column reads like Wildcat Report calling for a student assistant to not be able to express his point of view because it and the institution doesn't like what it has to say. I have to say that I disagree.

Yes, a student at a private university technically does not have the free speech right enumerated in the First Amendment. But a university should damn well afford them such.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT