ADVERTISEMENT

Shocking Fitz comments on QBs

I have a serious question for anyone who wants to answer; if we just picked any player at random off the roster and put him at the quarterback position, how much different would we expect the production to be?

I don’t think it would be significant.

Yes and we all saw how Green tried to run the offensive last season. If you're advocating Green over a few plays vs. Stanford, they mean close to nothing. Doubt very much if Green comes back next season and looks like Fitz is determined to run Johnson off, so that leaves NU with a not very good Smith and an even worse Marty and Whittaker and an unknown freshman. Better buckle up, as it's not going to be pretty.

And have you heard that they only put 7,039 seats in new the basketball arena?

Reactions: Fitz51
It's a moot point, but with Green we might have won a couple of the close ones, notably Purdue and Nebraska. Perhaps Stanford. Now, 5-7 is still not great, but it is better than that steaming pile of dog crap on top of the cake this year.

Green would have been ok, way better than what we've seen (say 90th best instead of 130th best). In fact, when he played last year, he was arguably our best 2nd string QB to play since, well, Trevor Siemian. Good enough for Fitz to continue the narrative of low risk, no mistakes, strip the ball, no penalties etc.

Doesn't excuse that they've not developed a QB recruit since 2016, and they can't seem to make use of the talent of Kyle Prater oops Hunter Johnson.

There’s just no way to know that Green would have been ok and led NU to more wins. Pure hypothetical.

And I wouldn’t say what I saw from him in limited time was any better than Alviti in the Music City Bowl, or Oliver in relief of Thorson against Penn State in 2015.

We are talking about a guy who would be, at best, maybe the 12th or 13th best QB in the Big Ten.

Aidan Smith was the 13th ranked QB in the NATION his class, per Rivals. He is a fourth year guy. Simply unacceptable.

There’s just no way to know that Green would have been ok and led NU to more wins. Pure hypothetical.

And I wouldn’t say what I saw from him in limited time was any better than Alviti in the Music City Bowl, or Oliver in relief of Thorson against Penn State in 2015.

We are talking about a guy who would be, at best, maybe the 12th or 13th best QB in the Big Ten.

Aidan Smith was the 13th ranked QB in the NATION his class, per Rivals. He is a fourth year guy. Simply unacceptable.
we are in violent agreement, but in the SSS (small sample size) world, TJ Green looks like TRENT Green compared to what we've seen since he went down. Even in our putrid past, I cannot recall any stretch of passing this bad/this long. I did some data mining and found a year, 1977 where we averaged 77 ypg passing, but that was a different era, with a lot of huddles, ball control both sides, etc. Essentially, we are averaging about the same amount of passing yards as a team gets in one series.

The worst manager I ever had - a real toad - gave us a pearl of wisdom during a staff meeting once: "if our people aren't meeting their goals it is because we have failed them". (Fitz please note)

People make mistakes, people have down years. There is no escaping it. Meantime, Fitz seems to be making his way through the 'stages of grief', starting with denial earlier, now anger, perhaps bargaining is next?

I have a serious question for anyone who wants to answer; if we just picked any player at random off the roster and put him at the quarterback position, how much different would we expect the production to be?

I don’t think it would be significant.

LOL! You've got jokes!

Reactions: Fitz51

Poor scouting and recruiting, IMO. Our first choice, Deuce Wallace, is stinking it up at Vandy as well. That should show folks how misleading star ratings and Rivals rankings can be.

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT