ADVERTISEMENT

Should Northwestern revisit joining the Ivy League?

FeralFelidae

Sep 1, 2003
There were overtures during the Dark Ages and the football team even played a game at Princeton. Maybe it's an idea worth reconsidering.

Will the Ivy League also be susceptible to the big changes underway, or will they be able to remain true to their mission of fostering the ideal of the true student-athlete?

There were overtures during the Dark Ages and the football team even played a game at Princeton. Maybe it's an idea worth reconsidering.

Will the Ivy League also be susceptible to the big changes underway, or will they be able to remain true to their mission of fostering the ideal of the true student-athlete?

From an athletic standpoint, I’d rather just see them go D3. I think we would be a yearly power at that level (and from a personal level, I’d much rather cheer for true student amateur athletes). From a financial aspect, hard to leave the cash cow BIG for any reason unless we’re simply left behind. The ONLY thing saving our butts is our location to the Chicago market. Other schools like that because, athletically, most of them have more connections within the city than we do.

Thats a very smart idea for all sports except football. Gives us a chance at march madness as well while football can fund all the other men, women/trans teams.

We're not going anywhere, we're in a league that pays $50 million a year.

Our major donors have put up $420 million for 3 facilities as well as tens of million more for the rest of the AD (probably around a half billion just for athletics over the past decade).

We're here to compete at the highest level; Chicago is more Ivy material than us.

We're not going anywhere, we're in a league that pays $50 million a year.

Our major donors have put up $420 million for 3 facilities as well as tens of million more for the rest of the AD (probably around a half billion just for athletics over the past decade).

We're here to compete at the highest level; Chicago is more Ivy material than us.

I don't disagree with any of that, but there looms a possibility that it might not be our choice if the real powers (the OSUs, etc) start manipulating and screwing with what’s already in place.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I don't disagree with any of that, but there looms a possibility that it might not be our choice if the real powers (the OSUs, etc) start manipulating and screwing with what’s already in place.
Very fair point, but I just don't think Ohio State wants to blow up the Big Ten.

Ohio State is one of the richest schools in the country (AD wise); they have a top 5 AD in terms of revenue; they win virtually every football game they play in the Big Ten (lose like 1 random game every year or two), and such.

Everything is perfect for them here; they aren't in a situation like Texas where there's 6-8 schools in tiny cities/states that offer nothing to their league. Ohio State plays in front of a bunch of big full stadiums every year unlike Texas on the road.

The Big Ten states are much more equally weighted even though OSU/Michigan/Penn State are the biggest dogs.

Reactions: rmndcat
Very fair point, but I just don't think Ohio State wants to blow up the Big Ten.

Ohio State is one of the richest schools in the country (AD wise); they have a top 5 AD in terms of revenue; they win virtually every football game they play in the Big Ten (lose like 1 random game every year or two), and such.

Everything is perfect for them here; they aren't in a situation like Texas where there's 6-8 schools in tiny cities/states that offer nothing.

The Big Ten states are much more equally weighted even though OSU/Michigan/Penn State are the biggest dogs.
Texas is already #1 in terms of athletic revenue, and by #1, I mean the #1 school in all the land ahead of literally everybody including tOSU or anybody in the SEC.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

And yet they're willing to give up their current circumstances (including unequal treatment they receive in the Big 12) that already have them at #1 in pursuit of membership in the SEC.

If the SEC is the place to be for the pro teams, then why would tOSU stay? Texas doesn't want to stay.

Reactions: ThirdCoast

Everything is perfect for them here; they aren't in a situation like Texas where there's 6-8 schools in tiny cities/states that offer nothing to their league. Ohio State plays in front of a bunch of big full stadiums every year unlike Texas on the road.

Again, I totally agree!! They don’t WANT to leave. But if you’re OSU, and this other super conference is getting placed together with all the best schools from the other conferences, and it will clearly be the top tier league of collegiate sports, I can’t see them turning it down.

Texas is already #1 in terms of athletic revenue, and by #1, I mean the #1 school in all the land ahead of literally everybody including tOSU or anybody in the SEC.

And yet they're willing to give up their current circumstances (including unequal treatment they receive in the Big 12) that already have them at #1 in pursuit of membership in the SEC.

If the SEC is the place to be for the pro teams, then why would tOSU stay? Texas doesn't want to stay.
Because the Big Ten isn't the Big 12.

Think about it like this: Ohio State travels around to other big states like Michigan/Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Maryland/Illinois/Wisconsin/Minnesota/etc., that allows them to visit Chicago/Detroit/New York/Philly/DC/etc.

Texas travels around to Kansas/Iowa/Oklahoma/West Virginia.

There's no TV markets in the Big 12 outside of the ones that Texas itself brings in Dallas/San Antonio/Houston/etc.

There's a ton of big markets in the Big Ten that Ohio State wants to dip into by visiting the other teams.

It's just not a comparable scenario. Virtually all of the money from the Big 12 comes from Texas/Oklahoma being in that conference. The Big Ten's money comes from having the top schools as well as a robust middle of sizable schools/states, not just the big brands.

Ohio State has way more to gain from being in the Big Ten than Texas has from being in the Big 12.

Again, I totally agree!! They don’t WANT to leave. But if you’re OSU, and this other super conference is getting placed together with all the best schools from the other conferences, and it will clearly be the top tier league of collegiate sports, I can’t see them turning it down.
Yes, that's a reasonable thing to consider, especially given that football-wise, Ohio State treats football like an SEC school does. We just all know that; but it's never that simple.

Maybe if there's some "Super League" of ND/USC/Michigan/Ohio State/Texas/Alabama/etc. they'd join that. But I can't see them going to the SEC.

Because the Big Ten isn't the Big 12.

Think about it like this: Ohio State travels around to other big states like Michigan/Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Maryland/Illinois/Wisconsin/Minnesota/etc., that allows them to visit Chicago/Detroit/New York/Philly/DC/etc.

Texas travels around to Kansas/Iowa/Oklahoma/West Virginia.

There's no TV markets in the Big 12 outside of the ones that Texas itself brings in Dallas/San Antonio/Houston/etc.

There's a ton of big markets in the Big Ten that Ohio State wants to dip into by visiting the other teams.

It's just not a comparable scenario. Virtually all of the money from the Big 12 comes from Texas/Oklahoma being in that conference. The Big Ten's money comes from having the top schools as well as a robust middle of sizable schools/states, not just the big brands.

Ohio State has way more to gain from being in the Big Ten than Texas has from being in the Big 12.
Then why isn't Ohio State already raking in more money than Texas?

An Ohio State that absolutely dominates the Big Ten and wins the conference every year isn't already making more money than a Texas that can't win the Big 12.

An Ohio State that absolutely dominates the Big Ten and wins the conference every year isn't already making more money than a Texas that can't win the Big 12.
Because that's how big Texas is.

Texas is the single biggest brand in US collegiate sports. It's been that way for years. Doesn't matter how crappy their league TV deal is; they're Texas.

They have a giant alumni base, they have the strongest TV markets, the strongest brand/licensing programs, etc. They have a giant "Walmart" fanbase (i.e. non-alums that wear their shirts across Texas). More people/more wallets/more licensing/biggest TV markets/etc.

Even Alabama winning the championship every year doesn't bring in more money than Texas. That's how big Texas is.

It's also why Texas has the most potential of any school; they're #1 in the largest football crazy state and a clear #1 at that.

They are not in the BIG. But if dOSU, (and maybe Mich, PSU) decided to go to some super conference, BIG would be pretty much done anyway. But it is not likely a good idea for SEC to take them on as then the top teams would no longer have free reign over their conference.

Texas has their own broadcasting system. That like the Yankee YES network is likely a big part of their revenue

Texas has their own broadcasting system. That like the Yankee YES network is likely a big part of their revenue
Okay, so they're giving up their own network to join the SEPC (P is for Professional). To Texas, joining the new SEPC is better than being kings of their own network.

You can't tell me Texas is willing to give that up but that there's "no way" tOSU would consider joining the SEPC.

Reactions: CatManTrue
They are not in the BIG. But if dOSU, (and maybe Mich, PSU) decided to go to some super conference, BIG would be pretty much done anyway. But it is not likely a good idea for SEC to take them on as then the top teams would no longer have free reign over their conference.

And THIS type of scenerio is the most worrisome. I really think we’re ultimately going to see like a 16 to 24 team super conference that will basically function as a league, and everyone else becomes inconsequential in the realm of major college sports. I think this is a VERY possible scenario.

No

Reactions: phatcat
Do you think there will be a super conference? If yes, do you think we’ll be apart of it?
We're going to be in the clear #2 conference to the SEC, and there's a ton of TV times/space that need filling.

There's more than enough room for the Big Ten.

Look at soccer in Europe. Just because the Premier League become a monster of $s doesn't mean that La Liga or Serie A don't exist.

They're doing just fine and clubs from there can win the Euro Club championship and pull in hundreds of millions.

We're going to be in the clear #2 conference to the SEC, and there's a ton of TV times/space that need filling.

Look at soccer in Europe. Just because the Premier League become a monster of $s doesn't mean that La Liga or Serie A don't exist.

They're doing just fine and clubs from there can win the Euro Club championship.

I hope you’re right. I wonder what the competition level gap will be between the super conference and conference number 2.

Being in the Ivy League is something to be proud of.

I'm not sure being in the SEPC or the neutered Big 10 is.
How does this neuter the Big Ten? Because we're earning $10-15 million less per year than SEC schools from TV money?

Our AD is probably going to be approaching $150 million in annual revenue sometime this decade, who cares about that revenue gap.

We're in a good league, and our league will likely grow.

I hope you’re right. I wonder what the competition level gap will be between the super conference and conference number 2.
Yeah that's likely to be something of an issue. I fully expect the SEC will get 3-5 teams regularly into a 12 team national playoff.

It sucks but that's likely reality.

Big Ten will likely get 2 teams in regularly.

I think their athletic programs are all cost centers, aren't they? They certainly don't bring in >$40 mil / year.
Do we have proof that our athletic department actually makes money? Why does anyone donate to the Wildcat Fund if so?

When my daughter and I were visiting universities before her last year of high school, we looked at some of the best schools in the country. May come as a shock to some who read this, but "the best schools" doesnt include Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, LSU or Oklahoma.

When Texas grows up, it will be Michigan.

Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin

They're doing just fine and clubs from there can win the Euro Club championship and pull in hundreds of millions.
and like the various EU leagues, there is a language barrier between us and the SEC. We speak correctly, they speak Southern

and like the various EU leagues, there is a language barrier between us and the SEC. We speak correctly, they speak Southern
It amazes me that any serious person thinks the SEC has anywhere near the prestige of the Big Ten.
Sports is a sideshow compared to the main event - getting an education. The Big Ten dwarfs the SEC academically AND reputationally.

Reactions: rmndcat
It amazes me that any serious person thinks the SEC has anywhere near the prestige of the Big Ten.
Sports is a sideshow compared to the main event - getting an education. The Big Ten dwarfs the SEC academically AND reputationally.

Mark my words…the SEC will win this war.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT