ADVERTISEMENT

Siemian signs with the Bears

Great to have Trevor back in Chicago. I guess the Bears will attempt to trade Foles and his used Nagy Super Bowl champion smell. More likely Foles is cut given his contract.
FIFY.

SIAP, but here’s an article with what that would entail:

“With Siemian’s arrival, the expectation appears to be that the Bears will be looking to deal Foles for any potential trade partner. Foles, who’s entering the final year of his deal, is slated to have a $10.67 million cap hit in 2022.

But it would be difficult for the Bears to release Foles, as it would cost $7.67 million in dead money and free up just $3 million in cap space. It would be cheaper simply to keep him on as a backup to Fields.

But trading Foles would be the best-case scenario. If Chicago could find a partner, trading Foles would free up $8 million in cap space while costing just $2.67 million in dead money by comparison.”

Good for Trevor. Another two years of an above average paycheck!

Above average for us non-professional sports playing plebians, but Trevor has been underpaid in his time in the NFL.

Case Keenum (a comparable QB) has $44 million in career earnings.

Chase Daniel with all of 8 TDS in the NFL has $40 mil in career earnings.

Mike Glennon, who stinks, has $32 mil in career earnings; the Bears having paid him more than 4x what Siemian will earn with them over the next 2 seasons).

Including what Trevor will earn with the Bears, he will have $10.7 in career earnings.

If the Vikings had Siemian instead of Cousins at QB, don't think there would be much, if any drop off in production, and look how much Cousins has made.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Above average for us non-professional sports playing plebians, but Trevor has been underpaid in his time in the NFL.

Mike Glennon, who stinks, has $32 mil in career earnings; the Bears having paid him more than 4x what Siemian will earn with them over the next 2 seasons).

Including what Trevor will earn with the Bears, he will have $10.7 in career earnings.

If the Vikings had Siemian instead of Cousins at QB, don't think there would be much, if any drop off in production, and look how much Cousins has made.
I love Trevor but Keenum’s on a different level. He’s played in 78 games, thrown for 78 TDs, and passed for almost 15K yards. He was also a record setting college QB. The Browns should have finished last season with him instead of Baker.

Trevor is 4 years younger, has played in 33 games, thrown for 7K yards and 41 TDs. Not quite the same level. But their passer ratings are close and he has a few years to catch up.

I agree that Daniel is below average, and Glennon stinks.

Cousins is getting paid $30M guaranteed a season for a reason.

I still think back to the game TS had vs. the Cowboys while still in Denver. Heck of a performance that day; I really thought he had turned the corner and was ready for prolonged success.

I love Trevor but Keenum’s on a different level. He’s played in 78 games, thrown for 78 TDs, and passed for almost 15K yards. He was also a record setting college QB. The Browns should have finished last season with him instead of Baker.

Trevor is 4 years younger, has played in 33 games, thrown for 7K yards and 41 TDs. Not quite the same level. But their passer ratings are close and he has a few years to catch up.

I agree that Daniel is below average, and Glennon stinks.

Cousins is getting paid $30M guaranteed a season for a reason.

What the 2 did in college is irrelevant - played with and against different levels of talent.

Here, however, is a comparison of them QBing the Broncos 2 yrs apart.

Siemian - 14 gms, 59.5%, 3,401 yds, 7.0 yds/avg, 18 TDs, 10 INTs, 31 sacks, 84.6 rating

Keenum - 16 gms, 62.3%, 3,890 yds, 6.6 yds/avg, 18 TDs, 15 INTs, 34 sacks, 81.2 rating

In most categories, Siemian was better despite it being his 1st season of playing compared to it being Keenum 6th year of seeing action.

Also, Trevor played most of that season with a serious shoulder injury (actually played less than 14 gms as he was knocked out early in 2).

Keenum also had a lot more help from the run game - the Broncos avg'ing 4.9 ypc with their lead back, Lindsay avg'ing 5.4 ypc. They also had 12 big run plays.

In Siemian's 1st season as a starter, the Broncos avg'd a pitiful 3.6 ypc with only 4 big run plays, 2 of them coming in the 1st game of the season.

Know that Siemian is a little bit younger; that's why I included his 2 yr contract with the Bears despite not yet suiting up for them and he's still nowhere close to Keenum's earnings.

Given a similar opportunity, think Trevor could do what Cousins is doing now (but making fewer bone-headed throws).

In his 1st 3 yrs of being a part-time QB for Wash, Cousins had 18 TDs vs 19 INTs.

Cousins finally started to put things together in his 4th season (this is where continuity with not only the team, but the system helps the QB, something Siemian never had).

Last edited:
I still think back to the game TS had vs. the Cowboys while still in Denver. Heck of a performance that day; I really thought he had turned the corner and was ready for prolonged success.

Siemian is now hitting his prime as he has gotten adept with pre-snap/post-snap reads.

Unfortunately, he's never played with the talent/play-caller to put him in the position to achieve the next level of success in the NFL and don't think that's going to change with the Bears (if he sees playing time).

Reactions: Inovacat
The biggest thing for TS or any pro for that matter is he put in 4 years and thus is fully vested in pension and benefits post career. That is the ultimate goal for a nfl player. Get all the money possible but get those 4 years of service.

Siemian presser in Bears colors.

Seems like he still came to Chicago (didn't exactly get the best homecoming with his SRT being stolen; speaking of which, the SRT really shows his FL roots) despite being aware that the talent level was slim pickings on O.

Sanchez was on Cowherd about a week or so ago and was really happy for Paxton Lynch (playing in the USFL), but he had a tough time saying Siemian's name.

Siemian presser in Bears colors.

Seems like he still came to Chicago (didn't exactly get the best homecoming with his SRT being stolen; speaking of which, the SRT really shows his FL roots) despite being aware that the talent level was slim pickings on O.

Sanchez was on Cowherd about a week or so ago and was really happy for Paxton Lynch (playing in the USFL), but he had a tough time saying Siemian's name.

He talks a lot about "playing fast". Boy, that's what we need to happen this year at the QB position. Can't wait to see if Hilinski,, in his second year here, and with a hopefully improved OL (we're counting on you being right, CatOLDad) can make that jump. Sullivan too, but I'm really hoping to see Hilinski play up to his considerable potential. I think both guys are going to play a lot this year.

Last edited:
Was btwn Da Bears and the Raiders for Trevor and liking the new scheme and Chicago (hands down a better city than Vegas) seems to have led his (and wife's) decision.

Also (if he did end up playing), probably wasn't too keen on facing all the pass rushers the AFC West has loaded up on (including Mack) behind a mediocre Raiders O-line - as he did when he was playing for the Broncos (the Bears O-line is probably worse, but the NFL North doesn't have the pass rushers the AFC West now has).

Siemian looks better minus the mullet...

"Went to school there. Met my wife there. Now I get to play pro ball there. Sweet home Chicago!"
- Trevor Siemian

"Two out of three ain't bad"
-Meat Loaf

Reactions: rmndcat
He needs to play often enough to have available gear with his name/image on it. I had a Broncos T Shirt with his NIL on front. I would get even a bears shirt if Trev was on it

Siemian might play the second half of this game against the Commanders. Fields is arguably playing better but has taken some big hits. He barely made it off the field after he took a big hit on his touchdown pass.

Siemian might play the second half of this game against the Commanders. Fields is arguably playing better but has taken some big hits. He barely made it off the field after he took a big hit on his touchdown pass.

If the bears had played Siemian in the 2nd half, they'd have won comfortably.

Didn’t realize that Sieman can play without a decent O line protecting him nor receivers that can get separation and catch

Not a big fan of Fields but no clue how to assess him with the lack of protection nor solid receiving core

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Didn’t realize that Sieman can play without a decent O line protecting him nor receivers that can get separation and catch

Not a big fan of Fields but no clue how to assess him with the lack of protection nor solid receiving core
It was criminal to let Pace stick around to mortgage the future and draft Fields with nothing around him, but, hey, that’s what the best ownership in football does.

I saw the two minute drill, and that run was beautiful, and those four plays from inside the ten were grotesque.

Zero points on three red zone trips (though I saw none of the other two)!!

Reactions: Hungry Jack

While it didn't show up on the W-L record due to various reasons (missed PATs, dropped passes, INT reversed on a bad penalty call by officials, etc), Siemian did alright w/ what he had to work w/ last season as a starter for the Saints (11 TDs, 3 INTs).

Had no receivers or TEs to throw to, missing 3 starters on the O-line (including both tackles) w/ the high round interior picks on the Saints O-line looking like busts, and oh, no Kamara.

While it's true one cannot have a fair assessment of Fields (who has talent) until the Bears surround him w/ more talent - like how Eagles and Dolphins have surrounded their young QBs w/ talent, Siemian would be better at quickly finding the open target (tho, he can't make the splash play w/ his legs like Fields).

The Bears could win more games w/ Trevor this season, but they need to see what they have in Fields and to have go thru the growing pains and gain experience.

They also probably wouldn't mind having the higher draft picks (the Jets are in the midst of a turn around due to the quality 6-7 players they have gotten in the past 2 drafts).

The Saints actually have weapons at WR this year (Thomas is hurt again, but Olave is a stud), the Saints FO made the mistake in thinking Winston was the answer and not the QB that was most like Brees.

A Siemian/Hill combo would have been deadly for the Saints.

But really laughing at the Broncos for trading all that draft capital and paying all that $$ to Wilson, who doesn’t fit the WC O they are trying to run (Trevor would have been a much better fit).

Last edited:

Right now it’s a combination of all the above with the Bears. Youth and inexperience at all offensive positions makes it difficult to establish any sort of consistency. I see flashes across the board with Fields, the OL and their skill players but rarely do they all put it together on the same play or sequence of plays. There is talent there and these guys will get better but they are taking their lumps right now.

if you want to hear some really good analysis on Fields and the Bears offense, I highly recommend Kurt Warner’s Youtube offensive breakdown sessions. One of them is linked below.

Last edited:
Tim Cowlishaw had an eye-opening stat on AtH the other day.

The 2 QBs who had receivers open w/ the greatest separation were Fields and Wilson.

Now, don't know the context of that stat - like how many open receivers were there during the game, etc.

But one thing has been sure, both have been missing to many targets, esp over the middle.

I don’t doubt that there’s a metric that states the Bears receivers are getting separation - just how its measured.

Much like the stat that the Bears OL is one of the top pass protection units in the NFL, I question the validity of this metric.

The Bears receivers are seen and known as one of the worst and least talented units in NFL. Bears receivers maybe getting separation as Fields lays on the turf or when defenses send blitz packages.

Fields has missed open targets and holds on to ball longer than every other QB in league - causing some of the numerous sacks - but I haven’t seen receivers get separation as regularly as I’ve seen with other teams.

3094688386_87d2e24886_o.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT