ADVERTISEMENT

Sino Substitues: Including Warriors, a Rally Panda, and a Feng Shui positioned defensive Wall

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
From Tim Chapman's (Chappy's) postgame story:

"Another three-and-out forced by the NU defense gave the ball back to the Cats with 12:26 to go in the game. Following a key first-down run on third-and-9 by fan-favorite Chad Hanaoka, Thorson - whom Fitzgerald called “a warrior” after the game - threw a deep fly pattern to Skowronek. As it arched over his head and down toward his outstretched hands, Skowronek cradled it, palms up, slammed into the nearly-frozen turf and held on for a 32-yard highlight-reel TD catch that is sure to go down in Northwestern lore."

Every game highlight compilation I have seen from the NU-Iowa game has included that amazing catch by Skowronek and as Coach Fitz timely reminds, the other half of the play has to be credited to CT as well.

Then there is that intangible which arguably also plays a role - karma - to hopefully placate the football gods. Where better to search for some positive Cat karma than in China where life decisions are made on every turn based upon the blessings of good fortune and where incidentally I found myself the week before yesterday's game?

While the tried and tested mojo moose was not be be found, that didn't prevent me from looking for some Sino substitutes, beginning with a Panda sighting. After all, good luck wise an argument is to be made that the Panda is to China what the Moose is to Alaska.

Secondly, following in Far East Wildcat's previously proven effective taking of "The Purple" to the Great Wall of China, I climbed (with purple in tow) to the top of "The Great Wall" hoping that effort would offer some feng shui positioning that could translate to our defense putting up a wall to limit the Hawkeyes' intrusion into the end zone.

In view of the above referenced "warrior" description, was it mere coincidence that my efforts also included, just hours after our loss to Notre Dame, an encounter with the Purple in the presence of the Terracotta Warriors?

Last, but not least, there was the Tiananmen Square "incident" (as contemporaneously recounted below) and foray into The Forbidden City.

IMG_6003_zpsytk1hti6.jpg
IMG_5986_zpsjgahkqjo.jpg
IMG_5806_zpsv4d5sepd.jpg

IMG_6087_zpss6gqueig.jpg
IMG_5914_zpssqqg37cy.jpg
IMG_6033_zpsen5txtgn.jpg

IMG_5213_zps8fcb5dm5.jpg
IMG_5225_zpsby1kz4zd.jpg
IMG_5226_zpsstelctyq.jpg
IMG_6538_zpsrphtw3qq.jpg

IMG_6152_zpsq4jrykjh.jpg
IMG_6142_zps3z1haqpm.jpg

"The Tiananmen Incident" (as previously posted in a contemporaneous message):

In the final photo you can see a policeman approaching me as my cap is propped on the post of the security barrier at Tiananmen Square.

The photo above it shows one of the trees of security cameras that catch every movement. (These were pointed out to me after the fact.)

Fortunately a gust of wind blew my cap back toward me just as I took the photo and I was able to retrieve it and move back into the crowd. Had it blown the other direction and I had gone after it, there could have been more than simply some questions to answer.

Last edited:
Here is another image that I was previously precluded from posting. This was prior to the Notre Dame game with reference to a reddish purple tinted sky over a gorge of the Yangtze River as a hopefully positive omen for a Wildcat win.

In commenting on same in a posted message I questioned whether the subject scene's appearance on China's 10 Yuan bill was also an omen of a ten point win ahead? As it turned out even though it was Notre Dame beating us us by ten points, in retrospect it appears that omen carried over to the following week. Ten certainly proved to be a magic number for the Wildcats this Saturday as GoUPurple summarized on his Northwestern Fan website, HailtoPurple.com:

For NU to have won the West today, the following three things had to happen:
checklist2018.gif
Apparently, scoring ten just won't cut it in the West.

IMG_4510_zpswkcul1qj.jpg

IMG_4515_zps2avupuuy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GoUPurple
Here is another image that I was previously precluded from posting. This was prior to the Notre Dame game with reference to a reddish purple tinted sky over a gorge of the Yangtze River as a hopefully positive omen for a Wildcat win.

In commenting on same in a posted message I questioned whether the subject scene's appearance on China's 10 Wan bill was also an omen of a ten point win ahead? As it turned out even though it was Notre Dame beating us us by ten points, in retrospect it appears that omen carried over to the following week. Ten certainly proved to be a magic number for the Wildcats this Saturday as GoUPurple summarized on his Northwestern Fan website, HailtoPurple.com:

checklist2018.gif

IMG_4510_zpswkcul1qj.jpg

IMG_4515_zps2avupuuy.jpg

Nice pictures. 10 Yuan, not Wan. Won is the Korean currency. The Vietnamese Dong is the best though.

Nice pictures. 10 Yuan, not Wan. Won is the Korean currency. The Vietnamese Dong is the best though.

Thanks, and thanks for adding accuracy to the phonetic (at least to my ears) terminology.

And speaking of "lucky" numbers, here is an excerpted comment from a thread I just posted:

"In the Iowa post game presser Clayton is asked about his having extended his arm to reach for the first down. After acknowledging that is typically something the players are trained not to do, he qualified the in game decision by referencing that this having been his 49th game allowed him some latitude.
That means next week playing against Minnesota will be his 50th game! (Anyone know how many of those were as the starting quarterback?)

All that said, from a personal perspective I found it pretty cool that the game that won the West matched the number of the furthest West United States State on the North American Continent - Alaska, the 49th State."

IMG_6852_zpsyjc6yhay.jpg
IMG_6784_zps5iskaxdg.jpg

(Maybe the mojo from flying over thousands of Alaska moose in the hours before game time as I returned from Asia did factor into the karma picture as well for our winning the West Saturday.)

Last edited:

In commenting on same in a posted message I questioned whether the subject scene's appearance on China's 10 Yuan bill was also an omen of a ten point win ahead? As it turned out even though it was Notre Dame beating us us by ten points, in retrospect it appears that omen carried over to the following week. Ten certainly proved to be a magic number for the Wildcats this Saturday as GoUPurple summarized on his Northwestern Fan website, HailtoPurple.com:

checklist2018.gif

IMG_4510_zpswkcul1qj.jpg

IMG_4515_zps2avupuuy.jpg

IMG_4515_zpshjvpc6be.jpg

Looks like the Cat’s Lucky Number is again 10 as Minny’s rowboat is swamped by 10 in today’s 24 to 14 Wildcat victory.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT