ADVERTISEMENT

Sky Team Props

NJCat

Gold Member
Mar 8, 2016
North Carolina
ESPN sees NU's DBs as "best of the best", even without mentioning Keith Watkins:

"The Wildcats aren’t far behind thanks to Godwin Igwebuike ’s decision to return for another season, spurning the NFL draft to try to boost his stock after racking up 108 tackles with a pair of interceptions last year. Northwestern also heads into the offseason with an established unit of defensive backs, with Kyle Queiro returning at safety, Montre Hartagecoming off a five-interception campaign and Trae Williams rounding out the group."

Who would ever have imagined NU having the Big 10's best DBs. Remember how one guy derided the "Jerry-fied" CBs? LOL.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...rning-playmakers-in-way-too-early-db-rankings

ESPN sees NU's DBs as "best of the best", even without mentioning Keith Watkins:

"The Wildcats aren’t far behind thanks to Godwin Igwebuike ’s decision to return for another season, spurning the NFL draft to try to boost his stock after racking up 108 tackles with a pair of interceptions last year. Northwestern also heads into the offseason with an established unit of defensive backs, with Kyle Queiro returning at safety, Montre Hartagecoming off a five-interception campaign and Trae Williams rounding out the group."

Who would ever have imagined NU having the Big 10's best DBs. Remember how one guy derided the "Jerry-fied" CBs? LOL.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...rning-playmakers-in-way-too-early-db-rankings
Jerry Brown has always been a very good coach. Our DBs suffered under Walker because he loved RBs and recruited bushel baskets full of them. Then he tried to turn those who were third and fourth string at that position into DBs. Fitz recruits DBs. Give Jerry some talent and he does great work - nothing new here.

Jerry Brown has always been a very good coach. Our DBs suffered under Walker because he loved RBs and recruited bushel baskets full of them. Then he tried to turn those who were third and fourth string at that position into DBs. Fitz recruits DBs. Give Jerry some talent and he does great work - nothing new here.
So Mitt Romney had "binders full of women", and Randy Walker had bushel baskets of running backs.

So I guess Coach Fitz has a cornucopia of cornerbacks, and a surplus of safeties. Thank God. If RW had lost two starting CBs 2 games into the season as we experienced last year, Tyrell Sutton would have played both ways.

I remember Gary Pinkel commenting several years ago about how he liked to recruit fast athletic types who could play the secondary. If they got big, he's just move them to LB.I think Fitz has a similar idea, though we have not see a lot of position changes in the back 7.

Reactions: Noah121
So Mitt Romney had "binders full of women", and Randy Walker had bushel baskets of running backs.

So I guess Coach Fitz has a cornucopia of cornerbacks, and a surplus of safeties. Thank God. If RW had lost two starting CBs 2 games into the season as we experienced last year, Tyrell Sutton would have played both ways.

I remember Gary Pinkel commenting several years ago about how he liked to recruit fast athletic types who could play the secondary. If they got big, he's just move them to LB.I think Fitz has a similar idea, though we have not see a lot of position changes in the back 7.

With the number of safeties we've taken the last 2-3 cycles, I think we could start seeing them as soon as spring. Have already seen a couple with Reese and McShepard (even if short lived).

Wadda ya mean? A few years ago EvanstonCat, NJCat, and others wanted to hang him, thinking he was the worst coach ever.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Wadda ya mean? A few years ago EvanstonCat, NJCat, and others wanted to hang him, thinking he was the worst coach ever.
Yes, it's amazing how good Brown got, you think. That seemed to coincide with the arrival of Doc, maybe?

With the number of safeties we've taken the last 2-3 cycles, I think we could start seeing them as soon as spring. Have already seen a couple with Reese and McShepard (even if short lived).

And i think several successful nfl teams play with a hybrid safety/lb going with a more athletic 2/5 in the middle and secondary...

Gotta have a strong DL and secondary to defend the spread elements of the game that have sustained in the league

Not true. I was never that negative on Brown. Colby yes. Brown, we knew had coached the 1995 championship secondary and the Minnesota Vikings league leading secondary and divisional champions.

Not true. I was never that negative on Brown. Colby yes. Brown, we knew had coached the 1995 championship secondary and the Minnesota Vikings league leading secondary and divisional champions.
I was negative on Coach Brown. I still believe that changing his position from DC was a good move. In terms of my negative thoughts of his abilities as a position coach, I have been proven wrong. That is a good thing.

I was negative on Coach Brown. I still believe that changing his position from DC was a good move. In terms of my negative thoughts of his abilities as a position coach, I have been proven wrong. That is a good thing.

Oh, I'll admit to having negative thoughts on his ability as a DC. I never questioned his chops as a secondary coach with his NFL experience and the 1995 champs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT