ADVERTISEMENT

Slater

Great article. Great decision. Tough break for the Cats.
Eh I doubt it. I think it's maybe a 20-25% chance that we play spring football. And even if we do, it's a good decision for Slater and it's a good decision for the Cats long-term - would be great for the Cats and for Fitz and for Kurt Anderson to get a first-round pick under their belts for recruiting purposes. Not to mention, even if there is spring football, sure I want to win games, but they aren't going to "matter" in anywhere near the same way as a normal season. When we have guys that have first-round talent, we can't be asking for them to stick around too long - we want them to take advantage of that, doing so will help us more over time than keeping them around for an extra season.

I doubt OSU or Bama are shedding tears when their top guys leave early to go get drafted in the first round.

Eh I doubt it. I think it's maybe a 20-25% chance that we play spring football. And even if we do, it's a good decision for Slater and it's a good decision for the Cats long-term - would be great for the Cats and for Fitz and for Kurt Anderson to get a first-round pick under their belts for recruiting purposes. Not to mention, even if there is spring football, sure I want to win games, but they aren't going to "matter" in anywhere near the same way as a normal season. When we have guys that have first-round talent, we can't be asking for them to stick around too long - we want them to take advantage of that, doing so will help us more over time than keeping them around for an extra season.

I doubt OSU or Bama are shedding tears when their top guys leave early to go get drafted in the first round.
Btw if anyone is getting a tough break with all this, I think it's Paddy Fisher. I feel like he really had a good chance to improve his draft stock this season - think he's better than he played last year. I hope for his sake that he is able to find some sort of football to showcase his talents - exhibition games or spring football or Senior Bowl or who knows what. I guess with the guaranteed eligibility he could always stick around for another year and play next fall - which would be nice for the Cats in 2021 I guess.

Huge loss. But I don't blame him at all.

Hope he's a first-round pick!
Even if he’s a first round pick, I hope he finishes his degree - assuming he doesn’t graduate by the time he has to report. He’s so damn close and it will serve him well for life.

Wish him all the best - hope the Bears draft him. If I were in his shoes I’d make the same decision.

Even if he’s a first round pick, I hope he finishes his degree - assuming he doesn’t graduate by the time he has to report. He’s so damn close and it will serve him well for life.

Wish him all the best - hope the Bears draft him. If I were in his shoes I’d make the same decision.
He’s going to graduate early, in December. It’s a really cool program we support.

At the risk of getting a one-word answer of "No," I have to ask...is there any chance that Slater will play now that there are games starting in October? Given that when he made his decision last month it looked like there would be no Big 10 football before he graduated this December, I didn't know if he could change his mind (if he even wants to) at this point.

At the risk of getting a one-word answer of "No," I have to ask...is there any chance that Slater will play now that there are games starting in October? Given that when he made his decision last month it looked like there would be no Big 10 football before he graduated this December, I didn't know if he could change his mind (if he even wants to) at this point.

I wonder if he will be a sort of player-coach? Our current offensive line sure could use the help, and the younger players seem to have a lot of potential.

I heard the interview did with Dave Revsine posted elsewhere. Fitz seemed to leave the door open for a change of mind by RS

Slater
I saw that too. Still seems highly unlikely Rashawn would reverse course now, but I guess anything is possible.
reportedly has signed with an agent, so unless the NCAA does something exceptional for this exceptional season he is done with college football.

Slater

reportedly has signed with an agent, so unless the NCAA does something exceptional for this exceptional season he is done with college football.
Yeah I see this confirmed elsewhere too that he signed an agent.

It sounds like a couple other B1G players may try to revisit this (potentially the OSU guys). Apparently an AZ St punter Michael Turk who declared for the draft early after last season and hired an agent, went undrafted, appealed to NCAA and blamed it in part on lack of workouts due to Covid. They accepted the appeal and he is eligible to play this year. So there is potential precedent for them waiving the rule this year.

Of course, if Rashawn prefers to continue his draft prep and not to play this year then I am 110% on board with him (and Fitz's comments in his presser today) and pumped for him to be the first NU 1st round draft pick in a while.

If he does change his mind though, I can imagine the NU athletics folks getting a pretty good viral moment out of Fitz announcing to the team that Rashawn is back protecting our QB's left side this year....

Yeah I see this confirmed elsewhere too that he signed an agent.

It sounds like a couple other B1G players may try to revisit this (potentially the OSU guys).
OSU's Wyatt Davis, who signed with an agent, tweeted today that he wants to return. From The Athletic:

What's next?
Landis: This isn't a done deal. Davis told The Athletic that he signed with the Athletes First agency after opting out earlier this week. At the time, sources indicated that he wasn't so far down the road that he wouldn't be able to opt back in if the Big Ten announced a fall season this week. We've reached that point. There are still details to iron out. But sources are confident that Davis shouldn't have an issue rejoining the team this year.

Given Warren’s public statement that the previous decision “will not be revisited” I would guess that the NCAA will be pretty lenient on these issues.

OSU's Wyatt Davis, who signed with an agent, tweeted today that he wants to return. From The Athletic:

What's next?
Landis: This isn't a done deal. Davis told The Athletic that he signed with the Athletes First agency after opting out earlier this week. At the time, sources indicated that he wasn't so far down the road that he wouldn't be able to opt back in if the Big Ten announced a fall season this week. We've reached that point. There are still details to iron out. But sources are confident that Davis shouldn't have an issue rejoining the team this year.

Yeah. Same with Shaun Wade I think. Although it's not clear if those two actually signed, while Slater did. But I think the point is - if Slater wants to play, there is a decent chance he would have a potential avenue to get back in this year. Not saying he should or he will, just saying he would have a good argument with some precedent given the ASU P.

Guys like Parsons (PSU LB), Bateman (Minn WR), Rondale Moore (Pur WR) opted out even before the season was postponed, so I would assume they are out regardless. Which in each of those cases may be a smart move for them. And Franklin today was asked about Parsons - he basically said that while TE Freiermuth was in (Pat jumped into the VC to confirm this), Parsons is "in a different situation".

Tangent, but related- of course, by contrast to Fitz when asked about Slater and even Franklin when asked about Parsons (who was hugely complimentary, said he supports 100% the decision either way), in classic douche PJ fashion when asked about Bateman by Revsine, his response is: "one of the first text messages I sent was to him, and it was 'are you sure??' I'm always a recruiter and so that was the first thing I did when I heard the news." No thought as to what is best for the player and his situation, or comment that he is excited about his NFL potential, or thanks to him for excellent contributions to the team. Me first. Fitz's comments about Rashawn were all about how great of a player and teammate he is, and that any NFL team who gets him is getting a great player and great guy (said he would personally take him #1 overall!). I know who I would rather have as my coach.

Yeah. Same with Shaun Wade I think. Although it's not clear if those two actually signed, while Slater did. But I think the point is - if Slater wants to play, there is a decent chance he would have a potential avenue to get back in this year. Not saying he should or he will, just saying he would have a good argument with some precedent given the ASU P.

Guys like Parsons (PSU LB), Bateman (Minn WR), Rondale Moore (Pur WR) opted out even before the season was postponed, so I would assume they are out regardless. Which in each of those cases may be a smart move for them. And Franklin today was asked about Parsons - he basically said that while TE Freiermuth was in (Pat jumped into the VC to confirm this), Parsons is "in a different situation".

Tangent, but related- of course, by contrast to Fitz when asked about Slater and even Franklin when asked about Parsons (who was hugely complimentary, said he supports 100% the decision either way), in classic douche PJ fashion when asked about Bateman by Revsine, his response is: "one of the first text messages I sent was to him, and it was 'are you sure??' I'm always a recruiter and so that was the first thing I did when I heard the news." No thought as to what is best for the player and his situation, or comment that he is excited about his NFL potential, or thanks to him for excellent contributions to the team. Me first. Fitz's comments about Rashawn were all about how great of a player and teammate he is, and that any NFL team who gets him is getting a great player and great guy (said he would personally take him #1 overall!). I know who I would rather have as my coach.

In a sea of uncertainty like we've all faced this year, it's nice to see one thing in the world will never change: PJ being a tool.

Sounds like the "signed with an agent, you're not playing" thesis will soon be put to the test.

I hate to say, but in Slater’s situation I would remain... opt out. Does his stock need to go higher?

another look at the Turk story. All in all, regardless of this story, the NCAA is a joke whatever the sport.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I hate to say, but in Slater’s situation I would remain... opt out. Does his stock need to go higher?

Right, I greedily want him to return, but it makes no sense in his case with all that is up in the air at the moment.

Reactions: runawayCat
There’s an upset, PJ thinking about himself instead of the best interest of the kid.

That was my thought, PJ is in his ear telling him to come back to row the boat for the team. Doesn’t make much sense if he is 1st round projected. to go through an abbreviated season where his workouts and games could get interrupted by COVID shutdown. Wasn’t he the one who said his asthma was a big reason to sit out the season? And I believe he declared before the B1G season was cancelled so he can’t really use that as a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT