ADVERTISEMENT

So many passing yards but not many points

gocats8992

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2022
Our passing offense is #3 in the Big Ten in YPG and Total Yards behind Ohio St and Purdue… But we are second to last (next to Iowa) in the Big in points scored.

I’m trying to understand what is going on here?

From my perspective, it seems like whenever we are in the red zone we never try to score but instead do runs and check downs. Also, where are the play action bombs like we did against the corn munchers? I don’t remember seeing any long passes down the field to spread the defense and allow for an explosive play! The opponent’s DBs are just sitting up in coverage knowing we don’t throw the ball long and waiting for our WR to make their 10 yd move..

Our passing offense is #3 in the Big Ten in YPG and Total Yards behind Ohio St and Purdue… But we are second to last (next to Iowa) in the Big in points scored.

From my perspective, it seems like whenever we are in the red zone we never try to score but instead do runs and check downs. Also, where are the play action bombs like we did against the corn munchers? I don’t remember seeing any long passes down the field to spread the defense and allow for an explosive play! The opponent’s DBs are just sitting up in coverage knowing we don’t throw the ball long and waiting for our WR to make their 10 yd move..
I didn't know that our passing offense is #3 in the Big Ten. This suggests to me that we have some very competent receivers, including the tight ends. I have watched every minute of every game on t.v., and all of our receivers have looked good to me, particularly Washington, Kirtz, Navarro, Gill, GHP and both tight ends. So, turning the ball over at critical times, has caused more losses than incompetent receivers in my view.

I didn't know that our passing offense is #3 in the Big Ten. This suggests to me that we have some very competent receivers, including the tight ends. I have watched every minute of every game on t.v., and all of our receivers have looked good to me, particularly Washington, Kirtz, Navarro, Gill, GHP and both tight ends. So, turning the ball over at critical times, has caused more losses than incompetent receivers in my view.
Be careful! Many are adamant that our WR absolutely suck. They also voice how great Robinson was last year, while ignoring the fact that Malik has more receiving yards than Robinson had through their respective first four games, even though passes to RBs and TEs has increased many folds.

Be careful! Many are adamant that our WR absolutely suck. They also voice how great Robinson was last year, while ignoring the fact that Malik has more receiving yards than Robinson had through their respective first four games, even though passes to RBs and TEs has increased many folds.
I don't recall Robinson fumbling once a quarter tho 😀😀

The passing stats are a little misleading because other teams are adjusting and Hilinski's QBR has dropped precipitously since the first 2 games. I still think he's a decent QB but he needs time and open receivers. He doesn't "create" well.

You know I totally agree!

We are also -5 in turnovers after being something like plus two after first game. And there is no faith in FG kicker. That sure does not help

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT