ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting things about the Wisconsin series

WaveJumper

Mar 13, 2002
Since 1985, NU and WI have played 26 games. During that time the teams have each won 13 games.

Barry Alvarez was head coach of WI from 1990 through 2005. During his tenure as HC the teams played 14 times. They each won 7 games while Alvarez was HC.

NU fans like to start the clock at 1995 - the Rose Bowl year with Gary Barnett. But the series record from 1995 on - which totals 16 games, is split evenly at 8 games apiece.

So from 1985, the series has been even, as it was during Alvarez's years, and as it has been since the resurgence at NU.

It may be that some Badger fans don't think of NU as being competitive, yet recent history refutes that thought.

In some ways, I kinda like the Badgers because they're a tough out - just like we are for them. To me, they're much more of a rivalry game than Illinois, even though many Wisconsin fans probably don't think so.

[QUOTE="WaveJumper, post: 447364, member: 272"

It may be that some Badger fans don't think of NU as being competitive, yet recent history refutes that thought.

In some ways, I kinda like the Badgers because they're a tough out - just like we are for them. To me, they're much more of a rivalry game than Illinois, even though many Wisconsin fans probably don't think so.[/QUOTE]

And as I noted on the "Bye Thread" the only undefeated team either of us has played this year was Duke. The real test is ahead.

[/QUOTE]
And as I noted on the "Bye Thread" the only undefeated team either of us has played this year was Duke. The real test is ahead.[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting way to think of it. You mean none of the teams either of us have beaten are undefeated- shocking

I also seem to remember that up until 2015, the home team had won every game between these two teams this century. NU broke that streak by winning at Camp Randall in 2015, and then Wisconsin followed suit by winning in Evanston last year.

Most years it's been a close game, except in 2010 when Wisconsin rolled the Persa-less Cats.

Reactions: Noah121
I also seem to remember that up until 2015, the home team had won every game between these two teams this century. NU broke that streak by winning at Camp Randall in 2015, and then Wisconsin followed suit by winning in Evanston last year.

Most years it's been a close game, except in 2010 when Wisconsin rolled the Persa-less Cats.

...35-6 in 2013 immediately after OSU College Gameday loss...not close

Our record versus whisky is outstanding when compared with other West division teams . How would you like to be Minny with 13 straight losses, the Lovie's with 7 or Nebby losing last 4 after their only win?

And as I noted on the "Bye Thread" the only undefeated team either of us has played this year was Duke. The real test is ahead.[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting way to think of it. You mean none of the teams either of us have beaten are undefeated- shocking[/QUOTE]

OK, you knew what I was referring to, but credit for the clever quip.

Other than Duke all of the other teams both NU and Wisconsin have played have already lost to a team other than NU or Wisconsin.

Another way to view it is that only NU has even played against a winning program as of this point in time.

Last edited:
Don't have a great feeling about this game, That Wisky demolition of #70 Sagarin BYU on the road was scary good. They just seem to be at a higher level than us right now. Though I hope I am wrong!

Since 1985, NU and WI have played 26 games. During that time the teams have each won 13 games.

Barry Alvarez was head coach of WI from 1990 through 2005. During his tenure as HC the teams played 14 times. They each won 7 games while Alvarez was HC.

NU fans like to start the clock at 1995 - the Rose Bowl year with Gary Barnett. But the series record from 1995 on - which totals 16 games, is split evenly at 8 games apiece.

So from 1985, the series has been even, as it was during Alvarez's years, and as it has been since the resurgence at NU.

In some ways, I kinda like the Badgers because they're a tough out - just like we are for them. To me, they're much more of a rivalry game than Illinois, even though many Wisconsin fans probably don't think so.
And, it's about our turn again.

Don't have a great feeling about this game, That Wisky demolition of #70 Sagarin BYU on the road was scary good. They just seem to be at a higher level than us right now. Though I hope I am wrong!
BYU has looked very slow in their first few games. They have played a tougher schedule than most other teams to this point but not looked good.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
BYU barely got by Portland State and that was with their first string quarterback who was hurt vs. Wisconsin. 40-6 is still impressive, but I'm not ready to declare Wisconsin unbeatable. Our offense has to produce though or it could get ugly.

I still don't know what to make of our defense yet either. BGSU was gaining huge chunks of yards both through the air and on the ground, especially in the first half. Our secondary looked vulnerable, though not a huge surprise due to all the injuries.

In which century do you place 2000? 20th or 21st?

I don't think any Badger fan views NW as non-competitive, on the contrary, NW is always viewed as a potentially difficult game.
We put you right there with Iowa & Nebraska as the three teams that can be dangerous in our division.
Who knows, maybe Minn can get in that group but wr
BYU wasn't very good, started a beginner at QB and were not particularly stout on defense, Badgers ran and threw and they did not respond at home.
Our defense doesn't seem to be as aggressive as it was under Aranda and Wilcox, Jim Leonhard more likely to play 3-8 on third and long than 8-3 with the blitzing we became used to.
Some say he's playing vanilla, I'm not so sure, I think our defense may be a bit suspect but we'll find out pretty soon.

Last edited:
Wisconsin is my favorite B1G peer: great academic school, outstanding football program, good fans. I think the are the best benchmark for NU in terms of program success.
You mean given we may not beat OSU and Michigan in the near future.

The 80's weren't great years for Wisconsin either. They were always in the lower half of the conference. When I think of the crap B10 football teams from the 80's, Wiscy, Indiana, and of course, NU, pop into my head. For the Big 8, it was typically Iowa State, K-State, and Kansas. I remember one season, K-State played Kansas to finish the season, and both teams entered the game without a single win. As was fitting, they tied, both finishing winless.

...35-6 in 2013 immediately after OSU College Gameday loss...not close
I was at that game and it was worse than that. And I believe we lost VM and maybe KC in that game setting us up for the rest of the slide that year.

The 80's weren't great years for Wisconsin either. They were always in the lower half of the conference. When I think of the crap B10 football teams from the 80's, Wiscy, Indiana, and of course, NU, pop into my head. For the Big 8, it was typically Iowa State, K-State, and Kansas. I remember one season, K-State played Kansas to finish the season, and both teams entered the game without a single win. As was fitting, they tied, both finishing winless.

That was 1987 when they played to a 17-17 tie. Kansas actually had a 16-15 win over Southern Illinois earlier in the season, so they finished the season 1-9-1. KSU finished 0-10-1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT