ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts/analysis on new commit Trae Williams

Josh Helmholdt

Sep 23, 2001
I had a chance to see Trae Williams live in his last HS football game - the Division 3 state title game (also saw him last spring at the Rivals Camp in Ohio).

First thing on Trae is he is a true ATH prospect who is a very good running back, but in my opinion an even better cornerback. I say that because at 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds he is big for the cornerback position, but he is also a blazer - one of the fastest recruits I covered all season long. His hips are just okay - not great, not terrible - serviceable enough for playing CB and his speed helps him make up for any clunkiness in his turn. I watched him come from across the field and track guys down who he did not have an angle on. Of course, his size also makes free safety a potential position for him, and I think either position would suit him well. As a running back obviously he has good speed to the edge, but a little light on the "shake" and the strength to run between the tackles. Again, not bad in those areas, but probably less than desirable for the position at the Big Ten level.

All in all, when you are able to add speed to your roster with a late pick up, something you feel good about. I expect Northwestern coaches are very happy tonight, and Williams could end up a really nice addition for this team.

Ohio State finals player report

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News