ADVERTISEMENT

SOX trade Quintana to the CUBS

hdhntr1

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2006
For their farm system. Trade right for both teams. Not wuite the whole farm system but... SOX got CUBS top two prospects plus two more and CUBS got solid left hander under control through 2020.

If the Sox were actually looking to build a team it makes little sense to my why they would have traded away Sale. The starting All-Star pitcher seems a good anchor...

If the Sox were actually looking to build a team it makes little sense to my why they would have traded away Sale. The starting All-Star pitcher seems a good anchor...

Because they were one of the worst teams in baseball with both of those guys. Need to trade these prime assets while they have peak value to restock the system. I think the Quintana trade was good for both teams. Jimenez will be a 10-12 all star caliber player for the Sox and Cease has a chance to be a stud TOR pitcher if he stays health. They were going nowhere with Quintana. Like tits on a bull.

Not a bad return for a guy the Sox basically pulled off the minor league waiver wire. One of my favorite players. He's going to be an even more reliable pitcher in the National League, and I hope he can finally enjoy a little more run support.

They were too far away from being good. They had a 70 win team and one of the worst farm systems in MLB and with a combination of trades and draft picks plus Roberts aquisition, likely the best with 9 players in MLB top 100 prospects and several of these in the top 10 including #1 (gotten in the Sale trade) I think I heard #3 and now #5. NOT even sure if that includes Robert (they aquired from CUBA and paid $50 Mill to get) Now they need to get rid of Roberts (closer who Nationals likely need) and possibly Milk Man and Frazier and another set of good high draft picks next year rebuild will likely be pretty interesting pretty fast as guys start moving through their system. White Sox have been pretty good at finding and developing pitchers(Quintana was taken off the Yankee scrap heap for nothing) as well as rescuing pitching careers.

This is pretty close to how Cubs moved up so quickly. Trading assets and getting top talent.

Not a bad return for a guy the Sox basically pulled off the minor league waiver wire. One of my favorite players. He's going to be an even more reliable pitcher in the National League, and I hope he can finally enjoy a little more run support.
I remember about a year and half ago telling someone who did not see his value (because how solid an asset he was. Solid number two started, lefty and consistently puts up 200 innings with pretty good ERA. Just never got run support and he often had one iffy inning that without run support would cost him. He also had a whole lot of no decisions. CUBS got a very solid pitcher in his prime.

They were too far away from being good. They had a 70 win team and one of the worst farm systems in MLB and with a combination of trades and draft picks plus Roberts aquisition, likely the best with 9 players in MLB top 100 prospects and several of these in the top 10 including #1 (gotten in the Sale trade) I think I heard #3 and now #5. NOT even sure if that includes Robert (they aquired from CUBA and paid $50 Mill to get) Now they need to get rid of Roberts (closer who Nationals likely need) and possibly Milk Man and Frazier and another set of good high draft picks next year rebuild will likely be pretty interesting pretty fast as guys start moving through their system. White Sox have been pretty good at finding and developing pitchers(Quintana was taken off the Yankee scrap heap for nothing) as well as rescuing pitching careers.

This is pretty close to how Cubs moved up so quickly. Trading assets and getting top talent.
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Because now they have by far the best farm system in the league with players not yet in their prime. They are setup to be a monster team in 3 - 5 years when the current monster teams start to split-up. It's pretty basic baseball organization strategy.

Reactions: julescat
Yes but now the SOX have a whole lot of birds in that bush. Everyone will not make it but it is likely several will

And that bush is surrounded by maximum security netting, limiting all avenues of escape; the two in the Sox bush are equal in value to the one they handed off to the Cubs. All said, it was a fair trade.

And that bush is surrounded by maximum security netting, limiting all avenues of escape; the two in the Sox bush are equal in value to the one they handed off to the Cubs. All said, it was a fair trade.
It was what both teams needed to do. I sort of wanted Quintana to go to Milwaukee but.

Reactions: Alvious
Why? OH, maybe it's that Cubs hate from a sox fan. Cubs got a TOR guy for 4 Class A minor leaguers.
In order to make the trade with the CUBS, likely had to get a bit more. He has shown to be a good number 2 but not sure he can be a number 1. CUBS did two things with this. Got a solid guy they needed and kept him from Milwaukee. He had a lot of value since two of the guys were the CUBS top two prospects. That said, I thought the CUBS farm was better stocked because with the one trade they reduced their top 100 prospects to 0. Thought they might trade with the Yankees and get the top prospect CUBS gave up to get Chapman last year

In order to make the trade with the CUBS, likely had to get a bit more. He has shown to be a good number 2 but not sure he can be a number 1. CUBS did two things with this. Got a solid guy they needed and kept him from Milwaukee. He had a lot of value since two of the guys were the CUBS top two prospects. That said, I thought the CUBS farm was better stocked because with the one trade they reduced their top 100 prospects to 0. Thought they might trade with the Yankees and get the top prospect CUBS gave up to get Chapman last year

The Cubs have plenty more good prospects coming but they are mostly at the A level or below. The cupboard isn't bare by any stretch of the imagination. Jimenez is a sure fire top player but the Cubs did well with this trade.

This is a great trade by both teams. Eloy is no sure thing, but he has incredible upside (then again, so did Jorge Soler, who hasn't looked too good since his first weekend with the Cubs).

The Sox might already have the best minor league system in baseball, and still have some very decent assets to trade. If the Nationals get desperate to trade Victor Robles for Robertson, you'd be looking at a guy who might be better than Jimenez or Moncada.

The Cubs traded for prospects and youngsters for years, and those trades brought Rizzo, Arrieta, and Russell, among others. Then they drafted well and were able to trade/promote all those great prospects to build a championship team. If they rally in the second half and Quintana gets them to the postseason, they'll have no regrets.

And how does this impact the Cat's upcoming BIG 1o schedule?????

This is a great trade by both teams. Eloy is no sure thing, but he has incredible upside (then again, so did Jorge Soler, who hasn't looked too good since his first weekend with the Cubs).

The Sox might already have the best minor league system in baseball, and still have some very decent assets to trade. If the Nationals get desperate to trade Victor Robles for Robertson, you'd be looking at a guy who might be better than Jimenez or Moncada.

The Cubs traded for prospects and youngsters for years, and those trades brought Rizzo, Arrieta, and Russell, among others. Then they drafted well and were able to trade/promote all those great prospects to build a championship team. If they rally in the second half and Quintana gets them to the postseason, they'll have no regrets.

Yep, following the Cubs blueprint. It nice to see that the sox GM is not a complete dunce like some others in town.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT