ADVERTISEMENT

ST renewals

The new box seats and outside park to let the Youngsters romp are bound to improve the experience.
They will almost certainly also configure the field a different way and the nearby area is much more restaurant/bar heavy than skeezy dive bars as before.

We have been in South Golf since the second year it opened and the experience there has been much worse the past two years. they are jamming way more cars in there than before with their “professional” parking crew.
My wife used to like to go to the games because she enjoyed the tailgating experience, now not very much anymore.
I don’t know if we will renew this year because of the changes.
Seconded. I’m not renewing. I’ll just buy off the secondary market.

I would eat the ticket before selling to an opposing fan.

I prefer games at Ryan Field. Wrigley Field does nothing for me. I could actually understand a loyal ST opting out of Wrigley game. Bad site lines, tough parking, bunch of yahoos at it for the novelty. I don’t believe the seats are mandatory in the ST package right? If they aren’t I agree with you.
Maybe they could play at arrow down field. Oh wait the sox will be playing in the World Series, so that won't work.

Maybe they could play at arrow down field. Oh wait the sox will be playing in the World Series, so that won't work.

I have been informed many, many times that Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. Thanks for bucking that stereotype.

I have not received any information on renewing my season tickets but got a general email from NU stating that season tickets are on sale for the general public. Did I miss something ?

Seems to me that NU is counting on the "Wrigley effect" again. Other team's fans have been known to buy season tix for a special game then dump the rest. So perhaps they expect 5k Wisconsin fans to do this, like Nebraska's first year, the other Wrigley game etc. In fact, it may be an effective revenue method, but it hardly helps us to develop a core fan base.

Other than the red horde games of Neb and WI, I reckon you will be able to get $10 seats to most other games.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Actually gave up my seats last season, after 25 years.

Maybe it is an age thing, but I am thinking of giving up my season tickets (24 years). There are one or two games a year that I am really interested in, and the others (because of performance or total experience) are just not worth 50% of my weekend. Wish I could say otherwise.

Reactions: willycat
Maybe it is an age thing, but I am thinking of giving up my season tickets (24 years). There are one or two games a year that I am really interested in, and the others (because of performance or total experience) are just not worth 50% of my weekend. Wish I could say otherwise.
Yes, I'm sure age has a lot to do with this but also 3 of the guys I shared my tickets with have died and the final nail in the coffin (no pun intended) was the new parking pass rules.

Actually gave up my seats last season, after 25 years.

I honestly can't blame you. I guess I hold mine out of loyalty more than anything. It's not like I couldn't get tickets for far cheaper on the open market to any game.

I honestly can't blame you. I guess I hold mine out of loyalty more than anything. It's not like I couldn't get tickets for far cheaper on the open market to any game.
Same boat as you, Fitz. And this, despite not even being an alum, probably calls my alleged sanity into question. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Zootcat and drewjin
It was bad.
Yep, it was terrible in all respects - cold, couldn't see very well and both teams went in the same direction. Plus, both teams were on the same side of the field. My wife and I left after Illinois took a commanding lead, walked to our high-priced parking spot, drove to O'Hare, checked into a hotel, and flew to the Dominican Republic the next day. Much more satisfying than the sideshow at Wrigley. I won't be back, especially for $200 per seat.

Yep, it was terrible in all respects - cold, couldn't see very well and both teams went in the same direction. Plus, both teams were on the same side of the field. My wife and I left after Illinois took a commanding lead, walked to our high-priced parking spot, drove to O'Hare, checked into a hotel, and flew to the Dominican Republic the next day. Much more satisfying than the sideshow at Wrigley. I won't be back, especially for $200 per seat.
This will be the first year I haven't renewed since 1994. The landscape has changed. Being locked into a seat isn't as important anymore as Phillips truly did screw NU fans to bring the product to a more commercial level. No perks being a season ticket holder but the competition on secondary market allows one to pick and choose which game to go to. Most games at NU, you can get a free ticket in the lot or pay $6 on secondary market then sit wherever you want.

As far as the Wisconsin game at Wrigley, you have no choice. They decide where your seat is at. My seats sucked last time but I had no control. I'll just go to stubhub and pick and choose where I'll sit. Best to buy a ticket the day of the game. I believe the game will have significance so a ticket may cost about $20 the day of the game.

Season tickets for football are a good value though for those who want to go to all of the games and sit in the same seats. But for those who don't have to sit in the same seats all year, my bet is that you could see all 6 Ryan Field games for a grand total of $40.

Reactions: julescat
This will be the first year I haven't renewed since 1994. The landscape has changed. Being locked into a seat isn't as important anymore as Phillips truly did screw NU fans to bring the product to a more commercial level. No perks being a season ticket holder but the competition on secondary market allows one to pick and choose which game to go to. Most games at NU, you can get a free ticket in the lot or pay $6 on secondary market then sit wherever you want.

As far as the Wisconsin game at Wrigley, you have no choice. They decide where your seat is at. My seats sucked last time but I had no control. I'll just go to stubhub and pick and choose where I'll sit. Best to buy a ticket the day of the game. I believe the game will have significance so a ticket may cost about $20 the day of the game.

Season tickets for football are a good value though for those who want to go to all of the games and sit in the same seats. But for those who don't have to sit in the same seats all year, my bet is that you could see all 6 Ryan Field games for a grand total of $40.

Don’t let the door knock you on your ass on the way out.

Don’t let the door knock you on your ass on the way out.
Geez, I don't know what is wrong with you. You have to get a grip on whatever anger it is that keeps you being a dick.
I have a great relationship with NU, love my rep and pretty much everyone associated with the program. Who said I was going anywhere? To me, there isn't a difference between being a STH or just picking up a ticket on stubhub. If someone wants to drop a few bucks on season tickets to be in line for wrigley tickets then that's fine. I just know that such fans lose control on where they truly want to sit. Happend to me last time at wrigley and even at the BTC. Although I sat on the 50 in club with coral and doccatsfan (just random), I could have got better seats and cheaper on Tickpick. Myself, you, and most of us here have no attachment to the program other than we are fans.

Sheesh

Edit: another reason I'm not renewing is because they anticipate changes at Ryan Field. When they redid W/R, they stripped any idea of grandfather rights to any particular seating. Someone could have been in a seat for 30 years but they got the boot unless they gave the big bucks. So I lose NOTHING if I want the good seats after a Ryan Face job that ask for a bit bigger bucks. I've been blessed in that category at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanger110
Geez, I don't know what is wrong with you. You have to get a grip on whatever anger it is that keeps you being a dick.
I have a great relationship with NU, love my rep and pretty much everyone associated with the program. Who said I was going anywhere? To me, there isn't a difference between being a STH or just picking up a ticket on stubhub. If someone wants to drop a few bucks on season tickets to be in line for wrigley tickets then that's fine. I just know that such fans lose control on where they truly want to sit. Happend to me last time at wrigley and even at the BTC. Although I sat on the 50 in club with coral and doccatsfan (just random), I could have got better seats and cheaper on Tickpick. Myself, you, and most of us here have no attachment to the program other than we are fans.

Sheesh

Edit: another reason I'm not renewing is because they anticipate changes at Ryan Field. When they redid W/R, they stripped any idea of grandfather rights to any particular seating. Someone could have been in a seat for 30 years but they got the boot unless they gave the big bucks. So I lose NOTHING if I want the good seats after a Ryan Face job that ask for a bit bigger bucks. I've been blessed in that category at least.

You've been wearing your decision to not renew like a goddamn badge of honor for months now. It's almost as if you want other posters on these boards to beg you to come back

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I am willing to renew my season tickets. I called my rep but he now works for Pitt. Again, has NU sent info/requests for ST renewals

Sheesh

You lose nothing, but none of the money goes to the program. Hilarious to me when people want us to be a “big boy” program then throw a hissyfit when the program takes even a half step toward operating like an actual “big boy” program.

You lose nothing, but none of the money goes to the program. Hilarious to me when people want us to be a “big boy” program then throw a hissyfit when the program takes even a half step toward operating like an actual “big boy” program.

If NU truly was a "big boy" program, then I would have no problem paying "big boy" prices or having them operate like a "big boy" program.

If NU truly was a "big boy" program, then I would have no problem paying "big boy" prices or having them operate like a "big boy" program.

NU isn’t asking anywhere near “big boy” prices, just more than the zero dollars they asked for for years.

Reactions: Sec.112
Absolutely money goes to the program. NU has an integrated partnership with stubhub and maybe gold coast tickets. The U actually post tons of tickets on Stubhub which helps selling, tracks selling and gives NU a portion of the fees as well if NU is like the other schools.
Half of the parking passes are sold by the university on Stubhub is my guess.

Absolutely money goes to the program. NU has an integrated partnership with stubhub and maybe gold coast tickets. The U actually post tons of tickets on Stubhub which helps selling, tracks selling and gives NU a portion of the fees as well if NU is like the other schools.

Defending yourself on your other account? Weird.

NU isn’t asking anywhere near “big boy” prices, just more than the zero dollars they asked for for years.

Oh I know......I never said they were.....Just saying if they were, I wouldn't pay it. If they were a better team and the experience was better, then I would!

I agree it was a great value the last few years and I’m not sure why I’m salty. Maybe just wanting more now? Maybe because like I said I’m not an NU fan to the core? I do know that the OOC schedule next year is a huge turn off for me. I at least want some P5 opponents bc it’s just more fun to me.
That said, this years ST will be cheaper because oly 6 games and only 3 confer4ence and only one bigger draw. But having them does allow you to get the experience of Wrigley

We have been in South Golf since the second year it opened and the experience there has been much worse the past two years. they are jamming way more cars in there than before with their “professional” parking crew.
My wife used to like to go to the games because she enjoyed the tailgating experience, now not very much anymore.
I don’t know if we will renew this year because of the changes.
Not sure it is the "professional" parking crew as it is some other factors. The last couple years have been wetter and so some of the standard spaces were cut off as they did not want to destroy the course. But it did have an effect. Second, Legion of VFW or whatever it is cut off the bathrooms which was a benefit particularly for females. Has made the experience less than what it was

Reactions: Bwm57
The bottom line is that NU fans have a choice. OSU, etc are sold out with a waiting list. There is nothing wrong with just buying off of stubhub or the ticket office. Both ways support the program since there are business relationships involved with stubhub. IMO, NU most likely wants less season ticket holders because it can make more money with dynamic pricing. That seems to be the way Mr Phillips is headed and it is consistent with the rest of college/pro ball.

The bottom line is that NU fans have a choice. OSU, etc are sold out with a waiting list. There is nothing wrong with just buying off of stubhub or the ticket office. Both ways support the program since there are business relationships involved with stubhub. IMO, NU most likely wants less season ticket holders because it can make more money with dynamic pricing. That seems to be the way Mr Phillips is headed and it is consistent with the rest of college/pro ball.

Just pick an account and stick with it.

yea, it isn't like it used to be. Not missing a thing. If it's just about putting your butt in a seat to watch the game, then my couch is where I'm sitting. Mr Fitzgerald has reduced fans down to $ and saturday seat fillers. Well, it just doesn't work that way in this world when there are plenty of other entertainment options. If they are building a new fan base that is internalizing the product then I get it but I don't think that is happening. Another thing is that cell phone coverage sucks in Ryan Field.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, OK... I've lurked on this thread long enough and I simply need to respond to one & all on 2020 season tix situation.

First off, allow me to communicate who I am and my love affair w/ NU football over the years. Having been a former player, I've been a steadfast loyal 'Cat supporter since I graduated in '75; and, simply stated, I've seen it all over those 45 years - from experiencing the transition of a football program fielding competitive teams against quality opposition in the early to mid '70s; to/thru watching NU's administration repeatedly boo-foo the program by reneging/ignoring promised infrastructure upgrades which became the foundation of the Dark Ages starting in '76/'77 which lasted approximately 16 seasons (all the while my beloved team having become the laughing stock of the B1G & CFB at large); thru the purchase of my family homestead property on the SE corner of Eastwood & Livingston in '84 (with the larger-than-life view of Dyche Stadium as a Coliseum-like backdrop to my backyard); to/thru the miraculous resurrection of a competitive NU football program by St. Barney in NU's '95 & '96 B1G championship seasons, while I worked-out in Nicholet Hall after hours w/ then-strength coach & teammate L. Lilja; to the program's 1st bowl "W" (the 2012 Gator Bowl against Miss St. where a wet-behind-the-ears R-S Frosh QB named Dak Prescott was replaced by highly regarded Junior QB, who promptly threw 4 INTs to 'Cat DBs which iced the win) since NU's storied Rose Bowl victory in '49; to Randy Walker's revival of the Tommy Bowden/Rich Rodriguez Clemson Spread Offense that led to NU's return to B1G champion in 2000; to the transition of the program to newbie HC Pat Fitz after the sudden death of Randy Walker in 2006, where-upon the former 1st Team All American LB established NU football as a competitive force to be reckoned-with over the last 14 seasons.

What I've observed over Dr. Jim Philips' tenure as AD is his near obsessive desire & focus to mold the NU football program into a perennial national collegiate pigskin power. It's a lofty & daunting goal to say the least, especially for a private institution of higher learning, and one that I fully embrace - although with some reluctance finance-wise. The underlying foundation of that upward mobility effort regarding NU's football program is the need, no the "requirement," to feed that money-hungry beast/cash cow via revenue enhancement tactics - tactics which are an absolute bottom-line necessity within every Big Dog NCAA Division 1A football program to remain an active participant/member of the "Big Dog" fraternity (which is composed of approximately the top 20+ CFB programs nationwide). One cannot get away with "business as usual" revenue tactics because if you aren't pressing the upward mobility revenue envelope among your support infrastructure participants, then you are falling behind into the 2nd Tier group of CFB programs. It's a tough call; but all the same, it's an unwavering 2020 reality, folks... Period... End of Story. And Dr. Philips has made (and keeps making) the tough decisions/choices to keep NU among that Upper Echelon fraternity of CFB programs - choices which include creative revenue tactics like annual "donations" for parking privileges, Wildcat Den seating & soon-to-be enacted preferred home stands seating (between the 40 yard lines - which by any other moniker can be categorized as Personal Seat Licenses or PSL's).

Now, for us long-standing pigskin supporters, these moves might smack of "gouging" and quite honestly, it is, although when compared to cash enhancement moves among the BuckNuts, the Pedophile States & Dazed & Blue Horde programs within the B1G, NU's pricing structure for similar $$$-generation vehicles is comparably MUCH less - but, most certainly, it's more than what most Wildcat Nation members have been used-to in past seasons. Yet when compared to the Abalama's, the Georgia's, the Clemson's, the LSU's, the Texas', the OKie's, the USC's and most of all, the Noted Dames' (UGH!!!), the relative pricing structures are "almost" negligible. (Example: Noted Dames near stadium parking "donations" start at $550 and go up from there - per game, per opponent.) However, NU supporters' general perspective on such "gouging" is based on seasons past - and that's where the recent protests start. True, these latest NU revenue enhancement moves have not been seen or have been reduced (sometimes substantially) in the past... but that's just the point - those seasons are most definitely "In The Past" and that relative "cost savings" genie isn't ever gonna be stuffed back into the lamp folks - so you can just "fuggetaboutit.") And during seasons when the on-field pigskin product is diminished heavily, like last season's debacle, those cash-grab decisions appear downright unwarranted and near punitive.

Now for this fall's 2020 pigskin campaign...

It's nothing less than dog-lay... C'Mon Dr. Jim... The Two-Lane Green Slime; the Central Mich Chipmonks; the MaryJane Twerps; the Morgan State "Beltway Bums" & Ill-Annoy as Dyche's Ditch opposition - Gimme a break!!! Then to resurrect the B.S. nostalgia of the Chicago Bears utterly forgettable 50-year home game venue miss-management at the Wrigley "Gummy Bear" Field Dog House against this upcoming season's premier foe, the Wisky Drunkards... That's near irresponsible. (Hint-Hint, Dr. Jim... Da Bears couldn't vacate Gummy Bear Field venue fast enough when the Chicago Park District offered Pappa Bear Halas Sunday rental of Soldier Field in 1971.) And that craptastic 6-game slate at Dyche's Ditch is gonna run me over $300/STH seat? Besides the Nebby & Ill-Annoy grapples, NU should pay me to attend. If there are 15-17K fans in attendance for any of those 4 other games, it would be a minor miracle.

Still, after all that (and my long-winded diatribe), I'm gonna pay the "Cost to be the Boss" for my disposable income. NU's 2020 football program and its current players deserve it. It's what a loyal football supporter does - he/she takes the bad with the good... even if the only good is in the fact that they are putting their money where their heart is. And my blood is still colored Purple!!!

So you don't like the parking pass "donation" thingie... then drive a half hour sooner & park on the streets of surrounding neighborhood or on a fairway of the Par 3 Central Street Golf Course or pony-up $30 buck-oes to park on somebody's lawn. There are choices for where/when to spend your hard-earned cash rather than fork-over $2500 for a Dyche parking lot spot. Besides, I guarantee there isn't gonna be a run on near Dyche's Ditch street parking for the Green Slime, Chipmonks, Twerps or the "Beltway Bums" games. Hell in virtually all home games in 2019 - against Moo U, da BuckNuts, the HogEyes, the Broiler Chickens & the Golden Rodents - I did the street parking thing & survived without paying an extra single cent. You can too in 2020.

I did the street parking thing & survived without paying an extra single cent. You can too in 2020.

Same. We just find the first spot north of Linden and streetpark. It's a beautiful walk with beautiful homes and not even that long. Haven't spent a single cent on parking. Thank you Wilmette!

So you don't like the parking pass "donation" thingie... then drive a half hour sooner & park on the streets of surrounding neighborhood or on a fairway of the Par 3 Central Street Golf Course or pony-up $30 buck-oes to park on somebody's lawn. There are choices for where/when to spend your hard-earned cash rather than fork-over $2500 for a Dyche parking lot spot. Besides, I guarantee there isn't gonna be a run on near Dyche's Ditch street parking for the Green Slime, Chipmonks, Twerps or the "Beltway Bums" games. Hell in virtually all home games in 2019 - against Moo U, da BuckNuts, the HogEyes, the Broiler Chickens & the Golden Rodents - I did the street parking thing & survived without paying an extra single cent. You can too in 2020.

Amen.

ADVERTISEMENT