ADVERTISEMENT

stadium--any news

Functionally, this high school stadium is probably fine, but architecturally it is AWFUL. They have managed NOT to integrate function into a design that is focused on football AND also supports one's desire not to feel abandoned in a desolate environment. We have deserts which we can escape to for that.

The thing about these currently popular pedestrian concourses with food and other stuff, like bathrooms, is to allow you to continue pay attention to the game, while getting food, drink or having a pee break, not to indulge your restless inattentive nature, and so they are a good thing. They just need to be done right, like at Huntington Bank Stadium. Otherwise, that stadium is mediocre architecture at best (I'll explain later if asked), and I hope NU will do much better.
You DO realize this stadium is more for Iowa, OSU, IU, Wisconsin, [insert visiting team name here] fans than ours? We should have actually surveyed the visiting teams for what would appeal to them as they pack the stands more consistently than we do. I like digital LEDs that can change to the colors of the visiting team to make them more welcome.

Perhaps smoke and flames to enhance their entrance on the field? How about a huge jumbotron to showcase iconic imagery? A touchdown jesus for ND games? A live shot of the Iowa Children's Hospital to wave at. Lets think about the real home game target audience people.

Whatever we build don't forget that we don't have 'Walmart' Wildcat fans. Build two 1,000 seat alum and student sections and let the rest be for the visitors. NU would make more money.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
This may be old news but it looks like that whatever they call the park that the White Sox play in will be our home during demo/const.
well so far they have played college games at Wrigley and Solider Field but not Comiskey / Sox Park. Gee, wonder why.

• Haha
This may be old news but it looks like that whatever they call the park that the White Sox play in will be our home during demo/const.

Based on what? Inside info? Most recent interview with Gragg mentioned all three locals stadiums as potential host sites. Did not sound as if it would be exclusive to one facility.

Based on what? Inside info? Most recent interview with Gragg mentioned all three locals stadiums as potential host sites. Did not sound as if it would be exclusive to one facility.

Logistically it doesn't make sense. The Sox are going to let multiple September non-conference games rip up the turf? What about potential conflicts with October games and MLB playoffs?

Logistically it doesn't make sense. The Sox are going to let multiple September non-conference games rip up the turf? What about potential conflicts with October games and MLB playoffs?
It is a year away, and I think you could work it out with the B1G scheduling. The team is at Duke next year, there is usually one B1G opponent early in the season (get that to be an away game, and get a bye a few weeks in, and it might just be possible to not interfere too much with baseball. The Sox could also get MLB to make the last couple series away.

That being said, I think the best options would be Soldier Field, or the Seat Geek stadium.

I heard this from an individual from the athletic department. The party talked about other venues but did not mention Soldier Field. Even inside the tent this is all educated speculation that can change in the future.

• Haha
The two venue options that I will refuse to go to our Seat Geek Stadium (Bridgeview) and NIU (DeKalb). I agree that the best venue option is Soldier Field. I like Sox Park but the overlapping of seasons does present a logistical nightmare.

The two venue options that I will refuse to go to our Seat Geek Stadium (Bridgeview) and NIU (DeKalb). I agree that the best venue option is Soldier Field. I like Sox Park but the overlapping of seasons does present a logistical nightmare.
Why not Seat Geek Stadium? Very nice stadium, accessible and easy to get to with plenty of parking. The only downside is small size. I’d be on board with that.

Why not Seat Geek Stadium? Very nice stadium, accessible and easy to get to with plenty of parking. The only downside is small size. I’d be on board with that.
I was wondering the same. As someone who drives in from Michigan, it would be a lot easier for me to get there and home on game day. Also, it would give me an opportunity to try all the Palestinian restaurants down there. LOL

I was wondering the same. As someone who drives in from Michigan, it would be a lot easier for me to get there and home on game day. Also, it would give me an opportunity to try all the Palestinian restaurants down there. LOL
The only downside is 20,000 seat capacity which may make it a non starter but other than that it would provide a way better experience than watching a game at Ryan Field. Modern stadium, comfortable seating, good sight lines, nice playing field, accessible concessions and rest rooms, plenty of parking right next to the stadium and easy access to 294 and 55.

• Haha
The only downside is 20,000 seat capacity which may make it a non starter but other than that it would provide a way better experience than watching a game at Ryan Field. Modern stadium, comfortable seating, good sight lines, nice playing field, accessible concessions and rest rooms, plenty of parking right next to the stadium and easy access to 294 and 55.

Ideally it’s a combination of all three venues. Cover the entire Chicagoland. Might as well spread far thy name.

It is a year away, and I think you could work it out with the B1G scheduling. The team is at Duke next year, there is usually one B1G opponent early in the season (get that to be an away game, and get a bye a few weeks in, and it might just be possible to not interfere too much with baseball. The Sox could also get MLB to make the last couple series away.

That being said, I think the best options would be Soldier Field, or the Seat Geek stadium.

It's not impossible, like you say, but it creates logistical headaches that you wouldn't have to deal with as much at Soldier Field, or especially at SeatGeek. I won't be surprised at all if we see November games at either baseball stadium, in any case.

A 20K stadium is not going to cut it for BIG games. In addition, I don't want to worry if my car will be there after the game. In my opinion, the fact that we are even considering Seat Geek is a disgrace to a BIG 10 team.

• Haha
A 20K stadium is not going to cut it for BIG games. In addition, I don't want to worry if my car will be there after the game. In my opinion, the fact that we are even considering Seat Geek is a disgrace to a BIG 10 team.
I agree regarding size but you obviously don’t know much about the neighborhood. It’s a very safe area that I would best characterize as blue collar residential suburban with some industrial nearby. As mentioned by others, the area is known as a hub for middle eastern immigrants living in the area. Some very good middle eastern restaurants in the neighborhood.

I agree regarding size but you obviously don’t know much about the neighborhood. It’s a very safe area that I would best characterize as blue collar residential suburban with some industrial nearby. As mentioned by others, the area is known as a hub for middle eastern immigrants living in the area. Some very good middle eastern restaurants in the neighborhood.
Also, it would be super convient for anyone flying in for a game as Midway is just down the street.

Can I watch the game from a nearby Middle Eastern Restaurant?

An 11am start against Nebraska over 5 years ago? Is this what your gonna post? LOL. The OP stated the only time he’s seen a full student section is for the freshman run. Plenty of games where the student section has been packed. Your post is a fail. Aim higher.
I have sat in section 110 the entire time the students have been on the east side.
It’s pretty full for a lot of games, maybe less for the 11:00 am ones but I don’t want to be there for those either.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I have sat in section 110 the entire time the students have been on the east side.
It’s pretty full for a lot of games, maybe less for the 11:00 am ones but I don’t want to be there for those either.

Yep. Our students get a bad rap. Considering our student population they do a pretty good job of filling that section.

Reactions: Bwm57
Questions:
#1 Will the expansion of the" B1G" change NU's stadium plans ? Will we downsize ? Will new "league" require a minimum ( 50 K) or other features
#2 Where are artist renderings of the new stadium available for review

Questions:
#1 Will the expansion of the" B1G" change NU's stadium plans ? Will we downsize ? Will new "league" require a minimum ( 50 K) or other features

I’ll show you the renderings. Meet me at the Temple Bar 5 hours prior to kickoff.

Reactions: corbi296
Can I watch the game from a nearby Middle Eastern Restaurant?
Questions:
If it has any impact, it will be to upsize, not to downsize.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I’ll show you the renderings. Meet me at the Temple Bar 5 hours prior to kickoff.
Sorry, I won't be there. I have to say farewell to a couple of uncles residing in Normandy. If I were in Dublin, the meeting would have to start at 8AM opening hour

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT