ADVERTISEMENT

Story: Not much to cheer about in NU student section

What really makes me sad is the long game - since last year we've yielded two freshmen classes that won't inherently care about NU football, which is especially sad when those of us here know how great the good times and the thrilling wins can actually be. To be blunt, as anyone here reading this knows, we don't have a wide margin for error to kill two whole classes of otherwise potential lifelong fans. Let's just hope the next Pat Ryan wasn't in one of these two classes.

I wonder what the stats are for young alumni season ticket uptake. I suspect the new stadium will be coming online at a major transition in NU fandom.
You have the Dark Ages faithful, some of whom may be aging out and not able or wanting to renew (especially with price hikes).
Then the 40somethings like me who were caught up in the Rose Bowl years and are lifelong fanatics, but now disillusioned with the Fitz who was a student with us all those years ago.
Anyone after that, the 20 and 30somethings, who are “post Rose Bowl,” I wonder how strong their fandom is. In that age group it often has to be a decided sacrifice to get season tix either due to money or time/logistics with young families, and I just don’t know about them.

Reactions: SESPCat
Something I've been thinking about related to this:

A hypothetical Class of 2023 undergrad who has attended every home game during the academic year since they arrived on campus would have seen Northwestern win at Ryan Field three times during their time as a student: UMass 2019, Ohio 2021, and Rutgers 2021. (If you want to include home games before school starts, you can also add on UNLV 2019 and Indiana State 2021.) Obviously this leaves out plenty of wins in 2020 and a couple of other wins they've had away from home, but I do think there's something especially meaningful about seeing a winning football team right in front of you.

In the big picture I know this isn't a totally unique experience for a Northwestern fan, and I'm sure plenty of folks saw just as bad (or worse!) in the dark ages. Still, when students have more opportunities than ever for non-football entertainment (which Fitz himself has acknowledged), why should a college student choose to become a part of this?

Reactions: CatManTrue
Especially in the era of streaming any game on your phone or TV, not sure those recent alums will se the value of season tickets. After not being able to attend games the last few years except fortunately the Rutgers homecoming win, I was fortunate to see in person
- every home game between 1995-2001
- Purdue away 1995
- Rose Bowl 1996
- Wisconsin away 1996
- Citrus Bowl 1997
- Alamo Bowl 2000
And many others home and away since then. Those moments in the stands during some of those wins were incredible and unforgettable. The best being PSU 95, Purdue 95 @WL (clinched B10), Mich 96, Mich 2000.

Last edited:
I
What really makes me sad is the long game - since last year we've yielded two freshmen classes that won't inherently care about NU football, which is especially sad when those of us here know how great the good times and the thrilling wins can actually be. To be blunt, as anyone here reading this knows, we don't have a wide margin for error to kill two whole classes of otherwise potential lifelong fans. Let's just hope the next Pat Ryan wasn't in one of these two classes.
I'm not too worried about this. Start winning again and they will come back. Many of us here never witnessed a winning season during our time at NU. Heck, many of us barely witnessed a win during our time at NU.

The main thing that sucks out the enthusiasm from the fans, whether you're a current student or a Dark Ages survivor, is the lack of hope with the current team, due to the stubbornness of the head coach to make any significant changes. 99% of the fans know what needs to be done. Only the head coach refuses to acknowledge it, at least through his actions. Just maddening.

I wonder what the stats are for young alumni season ticket uptake. I suspect the new stadium will be coming online at a major transition in NU fandom.
You have the Dark Ages faithful, some of whom may be aging out and not able or wanting to renew (especially with price hikes).
Then the 40somethings like me who were caught up in the Rose Bowl years and are lifelong fanatics, but now disillusioned with the Fitz who was a student with us all those years ago.
Anyone after that, the 20 and 30somethings, who are “post Rose Bowl,” I wonder how strong their fandom is. In that age group it often has to be a decided sacrifice to get season tix either due to money or time/logistics with young families, and I just don’t know about them.

I hate to point this out but the oldest "post Rose Bowl" NU fans are well into their 40s.

Mac Uihlien comes to mind

From Saturday's Homecoming Game: Student section in the first half:

DSC_4826.jpg

Just before halftime as the band vacated to go down to the field:

DSC_5091.jpg

Student Section as the second half progressed and with the band returned:

DSC_5359.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT