ADVERTISEMENT

Streaming options for International viewers

Hans

May 29, 2001
Does anyone know how to stream NU games from Europe this year? Apparently BTN has discontinued its international streaming services via the BTN2Go App and routes everything to Fox Sports (not available in Europe). Apologies if this has already been addressed previously but I'm getting nervous a few days out that I might miss out on streaming services which were a given for years. Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know man, for me the sky is falling... but yes

I don’t know the answer but we certainly have posters in Europe who can probably tell you like EuroCat, iskaboo and back door pass

Does anyone know how to stream NU games from Europe this year? Apparently BTN has discontinued its international streaming services via the BTN2Go App and routes everything to Fox Sports (not available in Europe). Apologies if this has already been addressed previously but I'm getting nervous a few days out that I might miss out on streaming services which were a given for years. Thanks in advance for any help.

You could get a VPN and set it up to give you a US IP address (easier than it sounds). I've used Nord VPN which I believe has a free 30 day trial

OK, I will take a stab at seriously answering Hans' query. I live in the UK but spend a lot of time in France. This is what I am planning to use to watch the Cats this season.

• For games that may be shown on ESPN, ESPN Player (www.espnplayer.com) is available in most European countries. It costs £9.99 per month or £69.99 for an annual membership. The good thing about ESPN Player is that you can watch lots of different games each week (and on demand after the game), and you can also watch Gameday live.

• For games that may be shown on BTN, there is still an overseas BTN site; it's just not called BTN International any longer. It is now BTN+ (www.btnplus.com). You can get a subscription from overseas that will let you watch NU games which are shown on BTN (but not Fox or FS1). There are various pricing plans: if you want all content, the price is $119.95 per year or $14.95 per month. If you only want NU-related content, the price is $79.95 per year or $9.95 per month. I am opting for the NU-only subscription to save some dough, and I only purchase 'months' when I know NU games are to be shown on BTN. SEE CORRECTION BELOW!

• For games shown on Fox (but not FS1), you can subscribe to USTV Now (www.ustvnow.com). The free service does not include Fox, but for the sum of $29 per month, you can get more than 20 US channels including Fox, ESPN and ESPN2. This is how I plan to watch the NY-Stanford game on Saturday. Again, I buy this on a monthly basis and only purchase a subscription when the Cats are being shown on Fox.
I have not yet figured out how to watch FS1 from overseas' I will probably listen to WGN if a game is only available on FS1. While I have a VPN, I do not have a cable contract so I cannot log in to sites like Fox that require a cable contract (but If anyone would like to send me their details …..)

Watching NU overseas can be expensive. It is much easier if you live in the US and have a cable contract (i.e. you are travelling, not living overseas full-time). I have lived in the UK for 25 years and have little connection with the US nowadays. There may be more high-tech ways of watching the Cats from abroad, but unfortunately I am old and not vary tech savvy.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I must correct something I wrote above. BTN+ will no longer show live football games on its website; you have to access live games via the Fox Sports site/app (for which you need a US cable subscription). Sorry about the error; I am glad I had not yet paid for the BTN subscription. I guess I will be listening to more games on WGN than I had planned. I guess I can still watch a replay the next day on the BTN+ website.

Thanks for all the thorough commentary and input. I had a similar set up to what you had described earlier (ESPNplayer + BTN2Go) which was enough to cover nearly every game (both football and hoops) and that worked for years. Prior to that I had a slingbox set up so I have been lucky enough to get to my college sports fix for years now. I've been bouncing around Europe for nearly 20 years so am similarly a bit older and far from technically adept.

I came up with a similar picture researching the last few days. We know for certain that we can get anything on ESPN via the player app and can get the UNLV Game via the BTN+ app. I was not aware you can stream on-demand (i.e. not live) on BTN+ afterwards?

The majority of the games will be streamed via Fox so I will check out the www.ustvnow.com site you referenced (thanks for that). I also found this as well which offers some potential other options: link

Thanks again

OK, kind of a dumb question since it probably depends on the particular cable service and/or site (and I know I should just check with my own cable provider), but curious if anyone has suspended their cable service on say a vacation hold and still been able to access games or other apps for which you need a US cable subscription?

Unfortunately, I must correct something I wrote above. BTN+ will no longer show live football games on its website; you have to access live games via the Fox Sports site/app (for which you need a US cable subscription). Sorry about the error; I am glad I had not yet paid for the BTN subscription. I guess I will be listening to more games on WGN than I had planned. I guess I can still watch a replay the next day on the BTN+ website.

Sorry to add more detail to this post, but I just received a response to an email I sent to BTN regarding whether overseas customers would be able to watch games in real time. Here is the message I received:

Thank you for contacting BTN+ support.

International streaming availability on BTN+ is being discontinued, effective Sept. 1, 2019. Annual subscribers will be issued a prorated refund for the remainder of their subscription and monthly subscriptions will not be renewed.

BTN is exploring new international distribution opportunities to once again provide the service and will be in touch with any updates. We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you have not received a refund by September 30th please reach out to customer service at btnplussupport@btn.com

Regards,
Aric
BTN+ Support*​

If I am reading this correctly, non-US residents will no longer be able to watch Northwestern games on BTN (or even be able to watch the replay the next day). I guess I will be listening much more often to Dave Eanet this autumn. This really sucks ... at least for me and likely for Hans.

If I am reading this correctly, non-US residents will no longer be able to watch Northwestern games on BTN (or even be able to watch the replay the next day)

Could be a consequence of GDPR; more than a few media platforms have turned off access to EU eyeballs as a result.

As Hungry Jack mentioned above (and what has worked for me during travels to the UK), is to subscribe / download a simple VPN application like ExpressVPN. With that tool you can spoof your IP location to be any number of geo's in the world, including within the U.S. If your IP address registers as Miami, for example, then BTN, ESPN, etc. have no reason to block assess to streamed programming.

Could be a consequence of GDPR; more than a few media platforms have turned off access to EU eyeballs as a result.

As Hungry Jack mentioned above (and what has worked for me during travels to the UK), is to subscribe / download a simple VPN application like ExpressVPN. With that tool you can spoof your IP location to be any number of geo's in the world, including within the U.S. If your IP address registers as Miami, for example, then BTN, ESPN, etc. have no reason to block assess to streamed programming.

Well the worst case scenario which I had envisioned a few days back turns out to be true. This really sucks.. I think you’re right LA, GDPR may be a big reason. VPN doesn’t work for tablets or phones (at least I can’t do it). It seems more difficult to trick the App Store and get access to exclusive US region content - especially those which you pay for and require a credit card with a Us billing address, we may have luck on a PC using a VPN iskaboo, I’ll try it out for tonight’s game and let you know if I’m able to swing anything, please let me know if you manage to find a way too.

Cheers

Well the worst case scenario which I had envisioned a few days back turns out to be true. This really sucks.. I think you’re right LA, GDPR may be a big reason. VPN doesn’t work for tablets or phones (at least I can’t do it). It seems more difficult to trick the App Store and get access to exclusive US region content - especially those which you pay for and require a credit card with a Us billing address, we may have luck on a PC using a VPN iskaboo, I’ll try it out for tonight’s game and let you know if I’m able to swing anything, please let me know if you manage to find a way too.

Cheers
Hans - send me a PM. I have no trouble using Nord VPN on a iPad or iPhone.

The biggest problem is, as you said, not having a US-based credit card or having a US cable subscription. For years Rivals would not let me buy a membership for The Rock because it would not accept my UK-based credit card!

Cheers

If you’re using an Apple iOS iPad (tablet) and/or iPhone, Express VPN will absolutely ‘technically’ work. I used Express VPN on all of my Apple devices when traveling to the UK and continent this past Spring, and I’d be very surprised if it’s not available for Android powered tablets and phones too.

That said, I hadn’t thought about media sites taking the step of blocking access to accounts paying with non-US bank credit cards. That’s a bummer if so. Perhaps you can try an alternate payment type (if supported) like PayPal, or have a friend / family member in the States set up accounts for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
VPNs are great. I use PIA and it works great. While overseas, I can easily view anything in the US. When I'm home, I can easily view the BBC or CBC. Win win.

I just bought express VPN to stream peaky blinders because I couldn't wait for it to come out in the States. Only costs $12 and takes 5 mins to set up. Can read/watch anything with it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT