ADVERTISEMENT

Successful Offense

Surprised a new QB and new system can have this much of an impact. Gives me hope for the Jets next year.

• Haha
Reactions: scru
Surprised a new QB and new system can have this much of an impact. Gives me hope for the Jets next year.

College and pro football are two different animals. In the pros hope springs from the front office. Like the Bengals, the Jets have a poor/incompetent front office. So be careful where you place your hopes. Both organizations are alive and well financially only because it’s impossible to fail on the money side of owning a team.

I had to move on from the Bengals. Gave up my 50 yard line, 20 rows up season tickets in the process. In hindsight it was a smart move. I would like to see them do well. Especially for the handful of fans who have stuck it out. But I am no longer invested in their inevitable losing.

GOUNUII

Reactions: TheC
How much of NU's success on offense is the result of having no film available on a new offensive scheme?

Some amount, but Bajakian’s offense seems to create the stop A or stop B dynamic (but you cannot stop both). As long as you can execute A or B reasonably well, you have a decent chance.

In the past it was stop A against NU and so long as you don’t get dominated by NU’s defense. you win.

Some amount, but Bajakian’s offense seems to create the stop A or stop B dynamic (but you cannot stop both). As long as you can execute A or B reasonably well, you have a decent chance.

In the past it was stop A against NU and so long as you don’t get dominated by NU’s defense. you win.
Do you fault Fitz for allowing the former offensive regime to exist as long as it did?

We have a mobile qb, we don't turn the ball over,or get penalized a ton,plus a power run game! Enough said!

Reactions: Hungry Jack
College and pro football are two different animals. In the pros hope springs from the front office. Like the Bengals, the Jets have a poor/incompetent front office. So be careful where you place your hopes. Both organizations are alive and well financially only because it’s impossible to fail on the money side of owning a team.

I had to move on from the Bengals. Gave up my 50 yard line, 20 rows up season tickets in the process. In hindsight it was a smart move. I would like to see them do well. Especially for the handful of fans who have stuck it out. But I am no longer invested in their inevitable losing.

GOUNUII
Ah.... the agony that Mike Brown has caused so many of us for so many years. It really is one of the most pathetic organizations in sports.

GOUNUII
Impressive seats!

Not at all. He won a B1G Ten West championship the year before for Chrissakes.

edited.

Should have won a West title earlier.

It took Fitz's 2 predecessors less time to win B1G title.

Look at how the Spartans stagnated under Dantonio due to being too stubborn to make the requisite changes to his staff.

Bama, dOSU and LSU all made changes to their offensive philosophy, and Wisky seems to be undergoing one as well.

On the other front, a HC can ruin a good thing by making the wrong hire at a coordinator position (see the DC hires for LSU and the NFL Cowboys).

Last edited:
Should have won a West title earlier.

It took Fitz's 2 predecessors less time to win B1G title.

Fair enough. Fitz’s typical teams have been better, but yes, he was slower. We didn’t have play OSU In 95, 96 or 00 to win a B1G championship either. I’m sure we would have creamed them in all three years, but we didn’t have to go through Columbus back then, and Michigan (and others) used to beat OSO consistently way back then...

I do. He did not win a B1G Championship, but if we had Bajakian, we might have.

LOL.

There was (and is) a massive gap between the overall football quality of OSU and every other team in the B1G, including NU.

as much of an improvement as Bajakian may be, he is no Santa Claus Unicorn.

Kevin Wilson in 2000, on the other hand...

Fair enough. Fitz’s typical teams have been better, but yes, he was slower. We didn’t have play OSU In 95, 96 or 00 to win a B1G championship either. I’m sure we would have creamed them in all three years, but we didn’t have to go through Columbus back then, and Michigan (and others) used to beat OSO consistently way back then...

True, but usually had to beat UM or PSU, if not both - for at least a share of the B1G title back then.

That's why didn't say B1G title, but should have won the West earlier (esp. with Neb being down and the only consistent contender being Wisky).

Have had a pretty darn good D over the past 4-5 years; should have more than 1 West title to show for it.

True, but usually had to beat UM or PSU, if not both - for at least a share of the B1G title back then.

That's why didn't say B1G title, but should have won the West earlier (esp. with Neb being down and the only consistent contender being Wisky).

Have had a pretty darn good D over the past 4-5 years; should have more than 1 West title.

I remember. We had to beat UM twice (95 and 96) and won a title in 96 despite being creamed by PSU in 96 in Happy Valley. We did not have to play OSU in 95 or 96 due to a weird schedule. In 2000, we beat Michigan 56-54 (as I recall) and then went 6-2 in the B1G losing to (a lousy) Iowa team and getting creamed by a good (Rose Bowl) Purdue team while getting to skip both OSU and PSU that year.

IMO, a West Championship is better than a shared Big Ten championship between three teams.

Bama, dOSU and LSU all made changes to their offensive philosophy, and Wisky seems to be undergoing one as well.

Please compare NU to Wisconsin. We’ll continue to whip their ass whenever we can and hopefully that stays at or above 50% as it has been for the past 25 years.

However, are you comparing NU to Alabama, Ohio State and Louisiana State University? I want to beat these programs every year, but I’d declare victory at 10-20% wins against these programs today.

• Wow
Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
IMO, a West Championship is better than a shared Big Ten championship between three teams.

A shared championship is easier than a 3-way tie, but I think I think a B1G West divisional championship is a bit easier as you can get there without playing/beating OSO, PSU, UM or even MSU.
Now, you have to beat the best team in the east to get there. Before that, you just had to beat (maybe) one of the east powers head-to-head and have a better overall record.

Please compare NU to Wisconsin. We’ll continue to whip their ass whenever we can and hopefully that stays at or above 50% as it has been for the past 25 years.

However, are you comparing NU to Alabama, Ohio State and Louisiana State University? I want to beat these programs every year, but I’d declare victory at 10-20% wins against these programs today.

That's exactly my point.

The 'Cats have had no problem playing even with Wisky since the Barry era, so in the years the Cats beat Wisky, should have been more West titles.

Not comparing NU to those blue-blood programs, but despite all their successes, they all realized that they had to move to more high powered (passing) offenses to beat the likes of Clemson.

Even Wisconsin has realized this - that they need more from their passing game to take the next step and make the playoffs (much less win a playoff game).

That's exactly my point.

The 'Cats have had no problem playing even with Wisky since the Barry era, so in the years the Cats beat Wisky, should have been more West titles.

Not comparing NU to those blue-blood programs, but despite all their successes, they all realized that they had to move to more high powered (passing) offenses to beat the likes of Clemson.

Even Wisconsin has realized this - that they need more from their passing game to take the next step and make the playoffs (much less win a playoff game).

Interesting to note that in the face of poor passing offense in recent years somehow we put two QBs in the NFL. Tells me that we have had the talent but not the scheme to have a better offense.

Reactions: Rebel_
Interesting to note that in the face of poor passing offense in recent years somehow we put two QBs in the NFL. Tells me that we have had the talent but not the scheme to have a better offense.

Ummmm....not sure about that. Scheme was definitely a factor, but lack of talent in several O position groups also a significant factor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT