ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestion for a template for our new stadium

Alvious

Gold Member
Sep 7, 2010
Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Colorado State's Canvas Stadium.
csustadium17950.jpg

Seats about 36,000 and would fit on Ryan Field's footprint, although you might lose about 20% of the east lot. I'm sure they could tweak this to make it more applicable to our needs, but something like this is what we should be aiming for. Obviously get rid of that ugly fake grass, though.

I don’t think the current structure is going anywhere. I would think we get a staged remodel like the shell out around Ohio Stadium and a brand new south stands structure. Mostly keeps the current footprint (don’t anger the townies) and just pushes the new outer walls out. Makes for wider concourses and a new walkable upper deck outer concourse. Basically cuts holes in the current outer walls for entry from new ramps. Would be almost a complete gutting leaving the shell like at W-R. New seats, new tunnels, ADA compliance, maybe lights. Some crazy new stadium and renos lately around the world. In futbol, Real Madrid took the Bernabeu to the studs and incased it in a glass mall with retractable roof for $950M. I think $200M+ from the Ryan’s and other existing university funds goes a longer way than we think.

I don’t think the current structure is going anywhere. I would think we get a staged remodel like the shell out around Ohio Stadium and a brand new south stands structure. Mostly keeps the current footprint (don’t anger the townies) and just pushes the new outer walls out. Makes for wider concourses and a new walkable upper deck outer concourse. Basically cuts holes in the current outer walls for entry from new ramps. Would be almost a complete gutting leaving the shell like at W-R. New seats, new tunnels, ADA compliance, maybe lights. Some crazy new stadium and renos lately around the world. In futbol, Real Madrid took the Bernabeu to the studs and incased it in a glass mall with retractable roof for $950M. I think $200M+ from the Ryan’s and other existing university funds goes a longer way than we think.
This makes sense.

It would pretty neat if matching towers and a small upper deck were added to the east stands. Expanded concourses coupled with the elimination of the rusted out northeast corner should still keep capacity in the low 40,000s even with the extra tier. Sight lines would be improved and the addition would stay true to the original aesthetics/design.

This makes sense.

It would pretty neat if matching towers and a small upper deck were added to the east stands. Expanded concourses coupled with the elimination of the rusted out northeast corner should still keep capacity in the low 40,000s even with the extra tier. Sight lines would be improved and the addition would stay true to the original aesthetics/design.
I don’t know how many have been to Wrigley but it is a new stadium. While I miss the bullpens being on the field and the rooftops I do really enjoy the new place - especially the totally new bleachers - and the amenities inside and outside the park. It’s a pretty good idea what can be done to an old stadium while preserving the facade and character.

I hope the towers on the west side are pretty much all that remains when this is done. I expect the east side and south endzone will be torn down. What will be interesting will be the number of boxes and the configuration of premium seating.

I hope they are able to integrate a new Randy Walker terrace over seriously expanded locker rooms. It would be really cool to be able to walk around the entire stadium during games, like you can during White Sox games. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a lot of faith in NU because the new Welsh-Ryan is a great venue. I do hope that unlike hoops NU will not slap fees on seats across the board Bc I don’t think the demand is there.

Last edited:
Reactions: mountaindrew
I have a lot of faith in NU because the new Welsh-Ryan is a great venue. I do hope that unlike hoops NU will not slap fees on seats across the board Bc I don’t think the demand is there.

Zero chance that there won't be PSLs (except for the bad seats).

Agreed re: the RW terrace remake. The locker room building behind the north end zone looks to me like a shoe box dropped from the sky. Hope that it can be harmoniously integrated into the look of the renovation.

I hope they maintain the classic appeal but update stuff....add two matching towers and make into game day experience in all 4 towers... right now the towers look like my hall closet....stuff just stuffed in there..locker rooms are a priority...instead of a food service...let local food places and non-profits occupy the food places. maybe the west side upper tier and press box as well replace by enclosed corporate boxes and press box..but what do I know? ...but would hate to miss a season at Ryan

Zero chance that there won't be PSLs (except for the bad seats).
I have only been a season ticket holder for about 12 years, and I hope to take my girls once they are old enough. I wouldn’t have an issue if they bumped up the price somewhat, but if it becomes prohibitively expensive, I will probably just pick and choose which games to go to, and buy tickets for those games.

A question is, will seats fit in the dimensional footprint of the current benches? Not sure how one would tear out all that concrete and replace it.

Reactions: Alvious
I only go to low demand games (e.g., Rutgers this year), so I'll just stay in the secondary market until I move back to the Midwest.
I'm deathly fearful of PSLs and anything that is, in broad terms, exploitative of a "loyal" fan base. I believe they mark the beginning of a contentious relationship between fans and a program - creates a very "what have you done for me lately" and "vote with my wallet" mentality. I'm sure the Ricketts family will happily boast about how they have skillfully monetized every aspect of their operation while you heard crickets chirping at Wrigley since the week they sold off all their talent earlier this summer. Not how I want to feel about NU football but hard not to feel owed if my season tickets triple in price and I find myself praying for a parking spot in the hospital garage.

The last thing we need is to drive fans away when this team - which notoriously runs white hot and ice cold - underperforms.

Best thing they could do if they introduce PSLs and other creative ways to leverage parking, etc. - increase the value of Purple Points and consecutive years of giving - one-time boosts to young alums/etc. to keep them engaged, but allow room to exploit visiting fans who will still pay a mint for good seats and parking, which they can't access at their own home stadiums. Charge the tourists.

Reactions: ubercat
Ah, the issue of PSL rars its lovely head...again. These are only able to be successful if there is a demand for them. The current price of STH per seat is spectacular, so raising the prices would be acceptable. But charging a (unknown amount) premium price for each seat should include legacy allowances. I know, for example, in Georgia's stadium legacy transfer is not allowed ( a close friend's father in law was a star athlete there, was a 40+ year STH, but his death terminated any claim to his great seats). So if NU institutes PSL's, the current state of non filling the stadium with home team people should play a role in whether or not PSL's are instituted. On the other hand, placing a winning package on the field annually will mitigate any discussion since it would, hopefully, draw a sellout every game. And PSL's would be i high demand, especially with the renovations mentioned that would expand trafficways, bathrooms, and refreshment stands. And at the same time the tooth fairy will arrive with all the required upgrades.

A question is, will seats fit in the dimensional footprint of the current benches? Not sure how one would tear out all that concrete and replace it.
Believe it or not, in most stadiums the “floor” of the seating sections only support the seats. There are supports under that which buttress and support the walls of the stadiums. Can also bring ins temp supports during replacement of the decking. In a lot of these recent stadium renos, the inner sections are taken down to the supports. The Cleveland Indians did some of that recently and are planning to do more in their upcoming stadium modernization.

Believe it or not, in most stadiums the “floor” of the seating sections only support the seats. There are supports under that which buttress and support the walls of the stadiums. Can also bring ins temp supports during replacement of the decking. In a lot of these recent stadium renos, the inner sections are taken down to the supports. The Cleveland Indians did some of that recently and are planning to do more in their upcoming stadium modernization.
Trying to picture that--is there a "deck" for the seats (or benches) under which there is a slab subfloor that supports that deck? Seems to me they would pour the steps for seating and any supporting slab as one integrated slab? There may then be a steel frame that supports all of that?

I went to a lot of games in the late 60's and through the 70's with my Dad and have tried to get to games each year since the with decreasing success. I have to admit that even though I get a great nostalgic rush (I miss the cigar smoke) when I get to the field, I couldn't care less if they just tore the whole thing down, towers and all. It always seemed kind of old and dirty to me. What matters to me is that what they build be news worthy in some way like the practice facility is. Spectacularly comfortable or beautiful a stadium destination experience that is worth visiting. I don't know exactly what that is; comfortable seating, ease of entry, large modern bathrooms, variety of food vending opportunities, great sound system, what ever. Take the best features of stadiums around the world and build it from the ground up so no opportunity is compromised by the past.

Also, while the South stands are relatively easy to remove, the structure on east or west side are a lot more formidable.

I admit...I maybe just don't appreciate "nice, new" stadiums. I went to Lucas Oil when it was relatively new, was at Mile High a couple of weeks ago and at Allegiant Stadium in Vegas in August...it's all...fine - certainly nice to sit in a bounded seat over a bleacher seat...but is that even in the conversation for Ryan Field? Perhaps they just do PSLs for seats between the 40s, to meet the limited demand?

And, let's agree - people aren't staying away from Ryan Field because the limited walkways or bad concessions. When NU goes to three consecutive Rose Bowls like Wisconsin this generation, and is then disappointed with *another* Jan 1 trip to Florida...

Reactions: mountaindrew
I went to a lot of games in the late 60's and through the 70's with my Dad and have tried to get to games each year since the with decreasing success. I have to admit that even though I get a great nostalgic rush (I miss the cigar smoke) when I get to the field, I couldn't care less if they just tore the whole thing down, towers and all. It always seemed kind of old and dirty to me. What matters to me is that what they build be news worthy in some way like the practice facility is. Spectacularly comfortable or beautiful a stadium destination experience that is worth visiting. I don't know exactly what that is; comfortable seating, ease of entry, large modern bathrooms, variety of food vending opportunities, great sound system, what ever. Take the best features of stadiums around the world and build it from the ground up so no opportunity is compromised by the past.
One really great thing at TCF Bank Stadium is the very wide concourse at the top of the lower deck with food vendors and bathrooms all around the stadium and accessible seating at the edge above the seats of the lower deck--you can also just stand there and watch the game.

Reactions: zanycat and Alvious
While bathroom expansion and upgrade are necessary, seating can be justified, hard to know what to put into concessions. While you have to set aside the room for it for sure, we only have 7 dates a year to use it and unless we are filling it, how far do you go?

One really great thing at TCF Bank Stadium is the very wide concourse at the top of the lower deck with food vendors and bathrooms all around the stadium and accessible seating at the edge above the seats of the lower deck--you can also just stand there and watch the game.
The thing about that stadium when it was built, it was also to hold pro games for a few years so there was extra money for it to justify more. Would it have been built the same if the pros were not going to be using it originally?

I have a question about the stadium formerly known as TCF Bank Stadium: Do both upper and lower bowls use the same concourse? Or does the upper bowl have its own set of restrooms, food stands, etc?

I don’t know how many have been to Wrigley but it is a new stadium. While I miss the bullpens being on the field and the rooftops I do really enjoy the new place - especially the totally new bleachers - and the amenities inside and outside the park. It’s a pretty good idea what can be done to an old stadium while preserving the facade and character.

I hope the towers on the west side are pretty much all that remains when this is done. I expect the east side and south endzone will be torn down. What will be interesting will be the number of boxes and the configuration of premium seating.

I hope they are able to integrate a new Randy Walker terrace over seriously expanded locker rooms. It would be really cool to be able to walk around the entire stadium during games, like you can during White Sox games. Keeping my fingers crossed.

You had me until the last paragraph. Nice things cost money. No such thing as a free lunch. Can’t have it both ways.

I have a question about the stadium formerly known as TCF Bank Stadium: Do both upper and lower bowls use the same concourse? Or does the upper bowl have its own set of restrooms, food stands, etc?
I don't know, I've never gone up to the upper deck, but the upper deck sits over the concourse and food and restroom utilities, so I suspect that concourse serves the upper deck as well, although the triangle of space under the upper deck must contain something, so there is likely additional vendor and rest room space in there.

It seems it is now named after the bank that merged with TCF. The Twin Cities are notorious for destroying history. At least NU has a stadium named after a person and not a corporation.

Last edited:
Trying to picture that--is there a "deck" for the seats (or benches) under which there is a slab subfloor that supports that deck? Seems to me they would pour the steps for seating and any supporting slab as one integrated slab? There may then be a steel frame that supports all of that?

Picture the main structure of a stadium as a network of concrete and/or steel ribs. In between the ribs there are concrete "risers" that span from rib to rib. These are single piece which function both as infill structure and the seating risers. In modern stadiums, these risers are "precast", cast elsewhere in small sections and then placed by crane. Seating comes in all sizes because designers are always faced with putting new seats in existing spaces. Inches are played with in a dance between accessibility, comfort and capacity. I suspect a seat could be found that works but it may not be your ideal to fit the old fanny or to keep a Coke being spilled on you as another fan slides by to the aisle.

Reactions: zanycat
Picture the main structure of a stadium as a network of concrete and/or steel ribs. In between the ribs there are concrete "risers" that span from rib to rib. These are single piece which function both as infill structure and the seating risers. In modern stadiums, these risers are "precast", cast elsewhere in small sections and then placed by crane. I don't recall but
Right, but what I'm getting at is dimension of the steps for benches is likely shorter than for seats, such that they would need to take our the existing risers between the ribs to change the dimension for seats. I'd do a drawing, but I'm too cheap to update my photobucket where I can post a picture on here.

One of the biggest challenges with Ryan Field is meeting ADA and current life/safety and health codes. Note how the announcement emphasized ADA which was curious. My guess is this was NU establishing a politically correct and legitimate reason for a major project far more than a refresh and spending so much on what many in the University community would consider a wasteful expense. It has been awhile since I dealt with stadium issues but the extent of what would be required in a reconstruction vs a demo and new is extensive and IMO likely precludes keeping the old structure. We'll see. For example, think about the sizing and configuration of entries to the stadium bowls (called vomitories) of new stadiums versus Ryan. Fixture counts for lavatories are significantly higher and need to be equal for men and women. Ramp slopes and lengths are regulated (goodbye towers), designated seating areas for handicap at prime locations and a thousand other details. At some point the extent of demolition and reconstruction offsets the cost of building new.

Right, but what I'm getting at is dimension of the steps for benches is likely shorter than for seats, such that they would need to take our the existing risers between the ribs to change the dimension for seats. I'd do a drawing, but I'm too cheap to update my photobucket where I can post a picture on here.

I understand your point. What I am saying is that the depth of a new seat may not be significantly different than a bench. Not a great seat, granted. Sometimes a middle ground is putting on a continuous back rest on a bench seat with scallops for individuals and arm rests. Not individual seats but better than nothing. It all depends on the dimensions which could/likely vary throughout the stadium.

My heart skips a beat when I see the towers approaching the stadium. The stadium is like a classic car. I hope we can restore it.

And here I thought a vomitory was where drunk Iowa Hawkeye women spend the third quarter......

I guess why they call them vomitories. Comes from the Romans. Probably the same logic at the gladiator fests.

FYI. Vomitorium/vomitoria. I used the less correct, red neck construction designation.

Last edited:
My heart skips a beat when I see the towers approaching the stadium. The stadium is like a classic car. I hope we can restore it.
Are you sure it's not arrhythmia?

I'm for restoration in most cases--we tear down too much good old stuff and replace it with bland junk. In this case, I believe the expense of a renovation that would meet contemporary requirements would not be worth it. I do not see how one could replace the guts of Ryan West in the space available for any reasonable cost and get a really well functioning facility. Hire a creative architect to capture the current feeling in a new structure. And by that I do not mean fake historic. I also do not mean Kellogg modern (yuk).

Both bowls share the same concourse. When you exit the concourse into a 100-level section like '142', adjacent are local stairs directing you to '242'. It does get crowded in the concourse but it's far from chaotic because it was built so wide.

Despite lacking some charm of other historic CFB stadiums, Minnesota built a really nice modern stadium that blends in a historic-looking exterior. I'm very interested to see what path Northwestern takes. Press box expansion and/or increasing club/suite options seem likely.

1605307590_08_1011931480_04ALUFOT111420.jpg

You had me until the last paragraph. Nice things cost money. No such thing as a free lunch. Can’t have it both ways.
no idea how much PSL's raise, but how much money would they need to NOT have them? I think we can agree they are not gonna sell 30k PSL's. Dude is giving better part of a quarter of a billion to renovate the stadium, you really need the extra, i don't know - 20M from seat licenses?

Search for webcam image histories of some of the recent stadium renos around the world. You can literally go down to the studs (steel superstructure) and just keep the shell. Demo is nothing. Plumbing and electrical are not usually right under the risers or are hung / supported from them in sections. With the risers gone, you can do whatever you want with vomitories and loges and ADA platforms, etc. The shell they put around the ‘Shoe in C-bus with C deck concourse even kept the outer look of the original. I have some old CAD models I made of different Ryan upgrades based on a google maps street layout. Maybe I’ll dig them up. It’s a tight fit. Although I would pretty much bet the farm this is an upgrade only. Maybe tear down south end ticket office. Wonder if they will tear down locker rooms and build a bigger structure? Bet they won’t want to fully block the view and signage of W-R.

Search for webcam image histories of some of the recent stadium renos around the world. You can literally go down to the studs (steel superstructure) and just keep the shell. Demo is nothing. Plumbing and electrical are not usually right under the risers or are hung / supported from them in sections. With the risers gone, you can do whatever you want with vomitories and loges and ADA platforms, etc. The shell they put around the ‘Shoe in C-bus with C deck concourse even kept the outer look of the original. I have some old CAD models I made of different Ryan upgrades based on a google maps street layout. Maybe I’ll dig them up. It’s a tight fit. Although I would pretty much bet the farm this is an upgrade only. Maybe tear down south end ticket office. Wonder if they will tear down locker rooms and build a bigger structure? Bet they won’t want to fully block the view and signage of W-R.
I would bet the farm (I rent) it will be a teardown, with the possible exception of the west stands. Although to get a quality end result like Huntington Bank Stadium (TCF) that would likely need to go as well. Kind of a shame since there is a nice feeling to the West stands on the field side. The ramps are a real problem as they make all circulation very narrow. Possibly keep the stands and build to the west, moving the road to make the east lot smaller, this assuming they don't relocate the entire stadium. A problem is they already renovated McGaw right in the middle of the entire site. That was likely cheaper, but it really constrains the possibilities. I cannot imagine they would buy and tear down adjacent homes. You get to a point where putting good money after bad is not spending money wisely. The ADA thing is a big part of this and to do it properly will require space.

I would love to be part of the consortium that analyzes the options for re-use of the west stands--anyone want to join and make a proposal for an initial feasibility study? I would assume someone has 3D drawings of the structure of that building, but if not they could easily be made. However the west stands are only one part of the puzzle--need to look at that in the context (sorry Hungry Jack) of the entire area available for construction.

There is a difference between can and should. I don't know the best path forward on Ryan because I don't have enough info or technical knowledge. Several thoughts. First, the structure is very old, obviously, and we do not know its condition. It was at least rehabilitated in part in the late '90's but it isn't getting any younger. Think of corrosion, internal and external, that occurred in Miami. Second, some aspects may require solutions that cost a whole lot but don't add much value. For example the second deck on the West side. Everyone talks about loving the lower deck but you don't hear that relative to the upper deck. To get that area straightened out for exiting, etc might not be worth it. Lastly, old structures have idiosyncrasies of design assumptions and construction methodology that make renovations to current codes prohibitive. Were design loads at the time comparable? Risers were poured in-place and not using precast. How does removing a section compromise adjoining sections? The number of questions as you poke holes in structures grows exponentially. The question becomes should not can. Analyzing all of this is how designers and contractors earn their pay.

One thing I remember is that the press box addition is an exceptional piece of engineering designed to be independent of the old structure. Bet no one knew this. Made all the construction engineering magazines. The press box may definitely be worth saving.

Last edited:
One of the biggest challenges with Ryan Field is meeting ADA and current life/safety and health codes. Note how the announcement emphasized ADA which was curious. My guess is this was NU establishing a politically correct and legitimate reason for a major project far more than a refresh and spending so much on what many in the University community would consider a wasteful expense. It has been awhile since I dealt with stadium issues but the extent of what would be required in a reconstruction vs a demo and new is extensive and IMO likely precludes keeping the old structure. We'll see. For example, think about the sizing and configuration of entries to the stadium bowls (called vomitories) of new stadiums versus Ryan. Fixture counts for lavatories are significantly higher and need to be equal for men and women. Ramp slopes and lengths are regulated (goodbye towers), designated seating areas for handicap at prime locations and a thousand other details. At some point the extent of demolition and reconstruction offsets the cost of building new.
The ADA emphasis is a personal matter for the Ryan family; same thing with all the buildings they've put money into like WRA and making sure they are wheelchair accessible.

Not anything political.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT