ADVERTISEMENT

Suggestion for a template for our new stadium

The ADA emphasis is a personal matter for the Ryan family; same thing with all the buildings they've put money into like WRA and making sure they are wheelchair accessible.

Not anything political.

Cool. It is also the law when contemplating any significant alteration of a building. My point was that the emphasis was front page and unique. It can serve all needs - the Ryan's, University politics and the law.

Cool. It is also the law when contemplating any significant alteration of a building. My point was that the emphasis was front page and unique. It can serve all needs - the Ryan's, University politics and the law.
For sure, just wanted to point out that one of their family members is wheelchair bound so they understand ADA needs and that's why it's such an emphasis at WRA and now Ryan Field.

There is a difference between can and should. I don't know the best path forward on Ryan because I don't have enough info or technical knowledge. Several thoughts. First, the structure is very old, obviously, and we do not know its condition. It was at least rehabilitated in part in the late '90's but it isn't getting any younger. Think of corrosion, internal and external, that occurred in Miami. Second, some aspects may require solutions that cost a whole lot but don't add much value. For example the second deck on the West side. Everyone talks about loving the lower deck but you don't hear that relative to the upper deck. To get that area straightened out for exiting, etc might not be worth it. Lastly, old structures have idiosyncrasies of design assumptions and construction methodology that make renovations to current codes prohibitive. Were design loads at the time comparable? Risers were poured in-place and not using precast. How does removing a section compromise adjoining sections? The number of questions as you poke holes in structures grows exponentially. The question becomes should not can. Analyzing all of this is how designers and contractors earn their pay.

One thing I remember is that the press box addition is an exceptional piece of engineering designed to be independent of the old structure. Bet no one knew this. Made all the construction engineering magazines. The press box may definitely be worth saving.
Good and fair points. I had heard that about the Ryan press box. Would bet the original risers were poured. New ones would be prefab. Ohio Stadium was built in 1922 and had a lot of steel issues that required coating the beams and reinforcing the structure. They widened their upper deck concourse when adding the outer shell wall. Ryan has similar outer arches on the west walls that Could be used to connect to the new concourses built into the new outer shell. If you haven’t been to the ‘Shoe, my explanation probably isn’t good enough to explain the concept. Need a cross section. It’s interesting in OSU’s rebuild you can see flex joints in the gaps where the new construction meets the old. OSU also had to remove some dorms and offices in their stadium before rebuilding the press box. It was a feat of engineering and construction to save, but Buckeye Nation wouldn’t have wanted brand new digs, much like the efforts at Wisconsin and Iowa. Even Illinois saved Memorial. Michigan and Notre Dame have had major rebuilds as well.

Last edited:
Good and fair points. I had heard that about the Ryan press box. Would bet the original risers were poured. New ones would be prefab. Ohio Stadium was built in 1922 and had a lot of steel issues that required coating the beams and reinforcing the structure. They widened their upper deck when adding the outer shell wall. Ryan has similar outer arches on the west walls that Could be used to connect to the new concourses built into the new outer shell. If you haven’t been to the ‘Shoe, my explanation probably isn’t good enough to explain the concept. Need a cross section. It’s interesting in OSU’s rebuild you can see flex joints in the gaps where the new construction meets the old. OSU also had to remove some dorms and offices in their stadium before rebuilding the press box. It was a feat of engineering and construction to save, but Buckeye Nation wouldn’t have wanted brand new digs, much like the efforts at Wisconsin and Iowa. Even Illinois saved Memorial. Michigan and Notre Dame have had major rebuilds as well.

No sketch needed. Understood. Spent 50 years designing and constructing new and renovations of facilities including stadiums. Was in charge for the contractor that rebuilt the bowl and added a new press box at Byrd Stadium at the University of Maryland. Again it is a question of can or should. If this was Notre Dame Cathedral there would be no discussion - although even that project has disagreements on whether the restoration should be completely faithful to the original design or even what is original. Personally I don't have any loyalty to the existing stadium but I understand the thought. I just know what I know and don't know and right now I simply don't have enough information concerning the condition of the stadium or the desires of the Ryans and others. As I said, we shall see.

Our group of 11 would happily pay a ST increase especially if we had seats not benches. However if NU decided to go the PSL route our 11 seats would likely not be renewed.

Reactions: StreamCat
That should boost attendance.

I really hope they can finance without PSL’s. My own experience is at Cal, where seats on the press box side between the ‘20’s were licensed when the rebuild was done about 10 years ago. The team tanked once the university committed to the scheme, Tedford was fired, and those seats, the best in the house, are at least half empty even when USC or Oregon visit.

I really hope they can finance without PSL’s. My own experience is at Cal, where seats on the press box side between the ‘20’s were licensed when the rebuild was done about 10 years ago. The team tanked once the university committed to the scheme, Tedford was fired, and those seats, the best in the house, are at least half empty even when USC or Oregon visit.
Can we even afford to consider that?

Like, we just don't have the attendance right now post-Covid to justify crazy pricing. I can understand why Cal might have been overconfident in its ability to price the tickets and keep people in the seats. They had 50-60k fans regularly at their games; Pac-12 Network was in its infancy so people still had to come to the games to actually watch the team for most games.

But we don't even have people in those seats right now; and this is post-Covid/post-every game on TV on BTN or better/etc.. Feels like PSLs would just prevent any ability to build our fanbase.

I'm skeptical on PSLs for the football stadium, we need 30k+ fans in purple at most games. Can't afford to price people out...

Can we even afford to consider that?

Like, we just don't have the attendance right now post-Covid to justify crazy pricing. I can understand why Cal might have been overconfident in its ability to price the tickets and keep people in the seats. They had 50-60k fans regularly at their games; Pac-12 Network was in its infancy so people still had to come to the games to actually watch the team for most games.

But we don't even have people in those seats right now; and this is post-Covid/post-every game on TV on BTN or better/etc.. Feels like PSLs would just prevent any ability to build our fanbase.

I'm skeptical on PSLs for the football stadium, we need 30k+ fans in purple at most games. Can't afford to price people out...
You are correct about Cal. For a few years, they were actually getting 70,000 a game except for the FCS opponents and maybe WSU. What is sad now is that for an attractive opponents, the rest of the stadium is almost full, but the best seats are half empty.

So, with the degree of rebuilding you guys are talking about, it makes me wonder..... what is the name of the football stadium out by Allstate Arena?

So, with the degree of rebuilding you guys are talking about, it makes me wonder..... what is the name of the football stadium out by Allstate Arena?
Hey, since UConn doesn't have a football team anymore (at least they don't seem to show up to games), can NU have your football stadium? It's pretty nice.

Hey, since UConn doesn't have a football team anymore (at least they don't seem to show up to games), can NU have your football stadium? It's pretty nice.
I learned when watching one of the games last weekend that UConn's stadium is the furthest away from its campus of any FBS program in the country. Someone else might as well use it!

You are correct about Cal. For a few years, they were actually getting 70,000 a game except for the FCS opponents and maybe WSU. What is sad now is that for an attractive opponents, the rest of the stadium is almost full, but the best seats are half empty.
Yeah maybe around 5 years ago if we'd have done the renovation, we may have seen PSLs implemented. Our season ticket base was probably the highest it's been since the mid 90s.

But now? Very difficult to justify; post-Covid bringing fans back to stadiums is going to be tough enough. There's less fan interest than ever before in attending games and every game is viewable easily on the internet/television.

This stadium rebuild is our one chance to make a new impression to the fans that have stopped coming that live nearby and potentially anybody else interested in coming to Big Ten games.

I'm sure we'll start seeing higher #s of visiting fans due to the stadium rebuild, but if we want to focus on building our fanbase up again, we can't really institute crazy pricing.

Our donors are ponying up $800 million for facilities, there's no reason to try to price out fans. The AD has no debt, and the Big Ten paychecks will be going up to $70 million annually in a couple years (after the playoff expansion and new Big Ten TV deal are signed).

I learned when watching one of the games last weekend that UConn's stadium is the furthest away from its campus of any FBS program in the country. Someone else might as well use it!
For some reason, I have have had the impression UConn is not an actual university, only collegiate sports programs.,

If I were to be so bold as to make a suggestion for the rebuilt stadium, I would suggest no individual seats with arm rests. Sure, they are nice to have, but if there is a group of 4 people gone, it looks bad. I would recommend bleachers with the continuous backrest, and a good amount of room for knees. This way, if there is a row in section missing 4-8 people (maybe more), it lets those in the row spread out giving them more space, and it has the added benefit of looking more full. If people are worried about sitting on hard bleachers, just sell those vinyl covered memory foam pads that every other college sells.

These are from PNC Park.
8FFD265D5A867A87A8963CC1.jpg

For some reason, I have have had the impression UConn is not an actual university, only collegiate sports programs.,
Actually, I've never seen the UConn football team and Bishop Sycamore in the room together at the same time.

Last edited:
If I were to be so bold as to make a suggestion for the rebuilt stadium, I would suggest no individual seats with arm rests. Sure, they are nice to have, but if there is a group of 4 people gone, it looks bad. I would recommend bleachers with the continuous backrest, and a good amount of room for knees. This way, if there is a row in section missing 4-8 people (maybe more), it lets those in the row spread out giving them more space, and it has the added benefit of looking more full. If people are worried about sitting on hard bleachers, just sell those vinyl covered memory foam pads that every other college sells.

These are from PNC Park.
I don't know, the seats in Hunting bank stadium are pretty darn comfy. Although not all parts of the stadium are actual seats--benches in the endzone and higher up. Unlike NU, they fill the stadium. That doesn't happen by providing uncomfortable seating, but by providing the best possible game day experience and affordable tickets.

These are from PNC Park.

Just have benches with soft bottoms, backs and raiseable armrests, If the seat next to is full you can put your hand down and if it's taken lift the arm up.

Why doesn't anybody make them.

Most airplanes have them if the airplane seats are not the "shell" types that some airlines now use.

Also moms with kids would like them as would others who want to hold on to each other (Frats and Sororities who want to "sway", etc).

Make something like this but for bleachers - why isn't this ever done?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT