ADVERTISEMENT

Summer School for Children will dictate if we have college football this year!

Titanium999

Jan 16, 2014
Each year in the USA, hundreds of thousands of children attend summer school,camps,and pools. These places can,at times, not be in compliance with social distancing and cleanliness guidelines. 30 kids in a classroom and 200 kids at lunch is the norm. Summer swimming is the same thing. We will likely have all the information we need by June 25th. Personally,I think this virus is spreading in unkempt places the most. Just not sure we can keep a second wave from happening. We will know more in middle to late June. Any thoughts? Personally,I would bet against having football as the children are our number one priority. I don't think we can accommodate social distancing in the aforementioned places.

For reasons not fully known, children appear to be a VERY low risk of COVID. Infections, hospitalizations, and fatalities appear to be very rare among K-12 age children, and also college kids. I think the crux is mixing larger groups of kids with parents and teachers who are more vulnerable.

To my knowledge, must summer sleep-away camps are cancelled. Still waiting to hear about day camps. I hope some solutions can be found. This home schooling thing is a challenge for parents and teachers.

Maybe this is good news for 20-something job seekers and teachers. I'm not sure a 60-something teacher (my favorite teacher at Little H's school is is 70ish teacher from JK, who probably should retire at this point, though it would kill her emotionally) can return the classroom this fall.

Reactions: Titanium999
For reasons not fully known, children appear to be a VERY low risk of COVID. Infections, hospitalizations, and fatalities appear to be very rare among K-12 age children, and also college kids. I think the crux is mixing larger groups of kids with parents and teachers who are more vulnerable.

To my knowledge, must summer sleep-away camps are cancelled. Still waiting to hear about day camps. I hope some solutions can be found. This home schooling thing is a challenge for parents and teachers.

Maybe this is good news for 20-something job seekers and teachers. I'm not sure a 60-something teacher (my favorite teacher at Little H's school is is 70ish teacher from JK, who probably should retire at this point, though it would kill her emotionally) can return the classroom this fall.
Numbers are lower for kids as they have been isolated. We shut down the schools right away. I anticipate a likely surge once kids are back in school. Why? People are getting really sick in nursing homes,jails,etc. One would think our public schools are much cleaner,but that is further than the truth. Having worked in schools for years,I can tell you they are pretty dirty,and a small percentage have preexisting conditions. No way in hell would I put a sickly kid back in school under these circumstances. Yet,I do think that may happen.

Numbers are lower for kids as they have been isolated. We shut down the schools right away. I anticipate a likely surge once kids are back in school. Why? People are getting really sick in nursing homes,jails,etc. One would think our public schools are much cleaner,but that is further than the truth. Having worked in schools for years,I can tell you they are pretty dirty,and a small percentage have preexisting conditions. No way in hell would I put a sickly kid back in school under these circumstances. Yet,I do think that may happen.
I work in a school and little kids are a mess with nose picking, sneezing right in your face and never covering their mouths . They touch each other like they are magnetically attracted and hang all over their teachers. My oppositional and defiant kids love to spit on each other and the teachers. At least in a class room contact is can be limited to 30 kids and one adult most of the time but High School mixes groups in crowded hallways every 50 minutes then at the end of the day they go out into the community.
I'll turn 65 in October. I was going to teach one more year but I don't know. I'm in pretty good health but last year kind of wore me out anyway.

I work in a school and little kids are a mess with nose picking, sneezing right in your face and never covering their mouths . They touch each other like they are magnetically attracted and hang all over their teachers. My oppositional and defiant kids love to spit on each other and the teachers. At least in a class room contact is can be limited to 30 kids and one adult most of the time but High School mixes groups in crowded hallways every 50 minutes then at the end of the day they go out into the community.
I'll turn 65 in October. I was going to teach one more year but I don't know. I'm in pretty good health but last year kind of wore me out anyway.
Good points. Take care of yourself. I taught for years too! A recipe for disaster. Plus, the kids can act out till no end. Let alone the parents. OMG! Crisis brewing all day long!

They're acquiring immunity. There is a school of thought that thinks nose-picking is good for the immune system.

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/healt...-eat-your-bogies-to-boost-your-immune-system/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT