ADVERTISEMENT

SupEr Conference talks have resumed. You were warned.

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
OK, so I got the green light from my buddy to share this on here. I will be scarce with details on who he is and why he knows, but we've been talking for months about this concept and things are coming to a head.

The most likeliest outcome is "mostly status quo". The Big Ten will likely add two former Big Ten 'powers' (likely Kansas and Iowa State), and the SEC is of course favored to add Oklahoma & Texas. The ACC can add WVU if they want and is the odds on favorite for Notre Dame to join, but ND may fight it until the bitter end. My buddy and I discussed the probability of this happening and its 60-70%. Higher if you count on only the B1G and SEC changes.

Here's where it gets interesting: OSU has been pivotal in discussions for a 24 team "Super Conference". The previous rumor about them replacing Vanderbilt in the SEC was just to test the waters, but it wasn't far off. This change was accelerated by a few factors: namely NIL legislation, the lack of leadership by certain conference leaders during COVID, and the need to maximize revenues out of the 'name college football programs'.

Here are the 24 teams that my buddy read out to me. I scrambled to write them down on a napkin - and my handwriting isn't that great - but here goes. I can share my thoughts on why this will benefit NU, but we're not included in the "New SEC" (mega-conference).

There will be four six team 'divisions' of the conference. Each team will face two of the three other divisional opponents each season, and each would be allowed two or three non-conference games to schedule however they see fit. There will be a two-round playoff to determine the national champion from this new conference and the Super Conference will own all the TV and internet revenues. Here's what I wrote down:
  1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. OSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Penn State
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Texas
  9. Texas A&M
  10. University of Florida
  11. Florida State University
  12. Georgia
  13. Auburn
  14. Oregon
  15. USC
  16. Arizona
  17. Tennessee
  18. South Carolina
  19. LSU
  20. Notre Dame
  21. Washington
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Nebraska
  24. Io_a OR Michigan State
...the last school names were painful to write. If you're upset about this as a NU fan, well we'll still compete in our own regard. I'm hoping that NU can play Iowa, Wisconsin, and either Michigan school on a regular basis. It's unclear how this super-conference will exist with the rest of the "NCAA" but it will all work out.

There was some discussion of an "All Academic" conference which we would be regularly favored in. If so, maybe it can keep the Big Ten moniker and we'll win it more often. Or maybe we'll just add Kansas & ISU to the B1G. But one thing's for certain: things will be changing.

Last edited:
OK, so I got the green light from my buddy to share this on here. I will be scarce with details on who he is and why he knows, but we've been talking for months about this concept and things are coming to a head.

The most likeliest outcome is "mostly status quo". The Big Ten will likely add two former Big Ten 'powers' (likely Kansas and Iowa State), and the SEC is of course favored to add Oklahoma & Texas. The ACC can add WVU if they want and is the odds on favorite for Notre Dame to join, but ND may fight it until the bitter end. My buddy and I discussed the probability of this happening and its 60-70%. Higher if you count on only the B1G and SEC changes.

Here's where it gets interesting: OSU has been pivotal in discussions for a 24 team "Super Conference". The previous rumor about them replacing Vanderbilt in the SEC was just to test the waters, but it wasn't far off. This change was accelerated by a few factors: namely NIL legislation, the lack of leadership by certain conference leaders during COVID, and the need to maximize revenues out of the 'name college football programs'.

Here are the 24 teams that my buddy read out to me. I scrambled to write them down on a napkin - and my handwriting isn't that great - but here goes. I can share my thoughts on why this will benefit NU, but we're not included in the "New SEC" (mega-conference).

There will be four six team 'divisions' of the conference. Each team will face two of the three other divisional opponents each season, and each would be allowed two or three non-conference games to schedule however they see fit. There will be a two-round playoff to determine the national champion from this new conference and the Super Conference will own all the TV and internet revenues. Here's what I wrote down:
  1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. OSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Penn State
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Texas
  9. Texas A&M
  12. Georgia
  13. Auburn
  14. Oregon
  15. USC
  16. Arizona
  17. Tennessee
  18. South Carolina
  19. LSU
  20. Notre Dame
  21. Washington
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Nebraska
...the last school names were painful to write. If you're upset about this as a NU fan, well we'll still compete in our own regard. I'm hoping that NU can play Iowa, Wisconsin, and either Michigan school on a regular basis. It's unclear how this super-conference will exist with the rest of the "NCAA" but it will all work out.

There was some discussion of an "All Academic" conference which we would be regularly favored in. If so, maybe it can keep the Big Ten moniker and we'll win it more often. Or maybe we'll just add Kansas & ISU to the B1G. But one thing's for certain: things will be changing.

No Duke or North Carolina? Interesting. SEC must really hate them. And Virginia Tech over UVA? I’m so curious to see how much of this comes to fruition.

No Duke or North Carolina? Interesting. SEC must really hate them. And Virginia Tech over UVA? I’m so curious to see how much of this comes to fruition.
I'll be more transparent. My buddy and I have discussed three variations of this at length:
  1. A 16-team version with OSU going "down south" which I revealed in my other thread
  2. A 24-team version (the programs I listed above are ones he rattled off to me very quickly, so not definitive)
  3. A 32-team version
    1. If 32 teams are included, UNC is included. UVA and Duke ARE NOT
    2. I may share the "full 32" team version in this same thread. But that basically means there is minimal inter-divisional play for teams over a 8 year span which was problematic
More to come. If I had to wager, I'd say the B1G will simply add Kansas and/or ISU or KSU, but negotiations are ongoing. This is what happens when you have weak leadership - strong leaders fill the void.

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. OSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Penn State
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Texas
  9. Texas A&M
  12. Georgia
  13. Auburn
  14. Oregon
  15. USC
  16. Arizona
  17. Tennessee
  18. South Carolina
  19. LSU
  20. Notre Dame
  21. Washington
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Nebraska

Arizona ?!?

Since you were so honest, here are my rough notes of the 32 team version of this SupEr Conference. I'm sorry if this causes you to regurgitate further:

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. OSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Penn State
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Texas
  9. Texas A&M
  12. Georgia
  13. Auburn
  14. Oregon
  15. USC
  16. Arizona
  17. Tennessee
  18. South Carolina
  19. LSU
  20. Notre Dame
  21. Washington
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Nebraska
  24. Io_a
  25. Michigan State
  26. Missouri
  27. Arizona State
  28. UNC
  29. Miami (FL)
  30. Arkansas
  31. Ole Miss
  32. Mississippi State OR UCLA OR KSU OR Pittsburgh...
So the final spot is up for grabs. If they have to pivot to 28 or 36 teams, there is optionality. But from what I've heard they have top-notch consultants crunching the numbers to optimize their revenue output.

I'll be more transparent. My buddy and I have discussed three variations of this at length:
  1. A 16-team version with OSU going "down south" which I revealed in my other thread
  2. A 24-team version (the programs I listed above are ones he rattled off to me very quickly, so not definitive)
  3. A 32-team version
    1. If 32 teams are included, UNC is included. UVA and Duke ARE NOT
    2. I may share the "full 32" team version in this same thread. But that basically means there is minimal inter-divisional play for teams over a 8 year span which was problematic
More to come. If I had to wager, I'd say the B1G will simply add Kansas and/or ISU or KSU, but negotiations are ongoing. This is what happens when you have weak leadership - strong leaders fill the void.

So we lose PSU, UM, OSU, Wisconsin, and possibly MSU and IOWA, and replace them with Kansas and ISU? Bwahahahaha! D3 keeps looking better and better.

Since you were so honest, here are my rough notes of the 32 team version of this SupEr Conference. I'm sorry if this causes you to regurgitate further:

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. OSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Penn State
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Texas
  9. Texas A&M
  12. Georgia
  13. Auburn
  14. Oregon
  15. USC
  16. Arizona
  17. Tennessee
  18. South Carolina
  19. LSU
  20. Notre Dame
  21. Washington
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Nebraska
  24. Io_a
  25. Michigan State
  26. Missouri
  27. Arizona State
  28. UNC
  29. Nebraska
  30. Arkansas
  31. Ole Miss
So the final spot is up for grabs. If they have to pivot to 28 or 36 teams, there is optionality. But from what I've heard they have top-notch consultants crunching the numbers to optimize their revenue output.

You have Nebraska twice

So we lose PSU, UM, OSU, Wisconsin, and possibly MSU and IOWA, and replace them with Kansas and ISU? Bwahahahaha! D3 keeps looking better and better.
Sorry for the confusion.

The B1G is most likely to simply add Kansas and ISU. This is the most likely outcome from what my buddy told me.

If the "super conference" emerges, NU could form a next-level elite academic conference. If we truly value student athletes, I personally feel this will be the best outcome. I can share what that would currently look like if you'd like, but we'd certainly be playing Illinois / Duke / Stanford / UVA / Boston College / the rest with regularity.

“I'm hoping that NU can play Iowa, Wisconsin, and either Michigan school on a regular basis.”

Why? If the super conference abandons the NCAA, they can get past the pesky scholarship limit which occasionally causes Alabama to experience less than perfect teams.

NU playing one of those semi-pro teams, each with fortified rosters and the best players big fan bases can buy — even should the Cats be the defending champs of your suggested Nerd League — would be a tragic mistake. Nonstop one sided affairs. Been there. Watched that. Not interested in seeing it again.

If we aren’t competitive with them, I have no interest in watching any of those teams use the Cats as a tune up game and as a way to throw a handout to their destitute abandoned relative. Yuck.

Build new rivalries.

“I'm hoping that NU can play Iowa, Wisconsin, and either Michigan school on a regular basis.”

Why? If the super conference abandons the NCAA, they can get past the pesky scholarship limit which occasionally causes Alabama to experience less than perfect teams.

NU playing one of those semi-pro teams, each with fortified rosters and the best players big fan bases can buy — even should the Cats be the defending champs of your suggested Nerd League — would be a tragic mistake. Nonstop one sided affairs. Been there. Watched that. Not interested in seeing it again.

If we aren’t competitive with them, I have no interest in watching any of those teams use the Cats as a tune up game and as a way to throw a handout to their destitute abandoned relative. Yuck.

Build new rivalries.
If the NCAA collapses, Northwestern would also be able to abandon the scholarship limits. If they want to.

And we already play those rivalries on an uneven playing field. Yet we regularly battle Wisconsin to a draw and we beat Io_a like a drum. Why would this NWO change that?

Guys… word is leaking about a superconference from an ACC AD per the attached article from ESPN. I thought my buddy might be yanking my chain and playing a prank on me all along, but maybe he wasn’t.

You heard it here first.

One ACC AD wondered whether this could be the first domino leading to a massive shake-up that would ultimately result in a 32-team superconference. Two other ADs suggested that the best path forward might be for the ACC, Pac-12 and others to work together toward a new media rights package that could help counter the outsized strength a 16-team SEC would command, with one AD also saying he believed there was minimal value in what would remain of the Big 12.

Reactions: StreamCat
If the NCAA collapses, Northwestern would also be able to abandon the scholarship limits. If they want to.

And we already play those rivalries on an uneven playing field. Yet we regularly battle Wisconsin to a draw and we beat Io_a like a drum. Why would this NWO change that?

Well, what was the typical outcome for NU teams competing during the first century of CF without strict modern scholarship limits?

If we could (or were willing to) compete in that world, we would currently be angling to sell our souls to the SEC, simply to keep the rivers of money flowing. Instead we are psyching ourselves up to watch Northwestern play Kansas, and worrying that our conference will implode, relegating the Cats to the League of Scholarly Gentlemen.

A Wiscy team with 225 highly paid professionals on the roster is not something I see a non-B1G Wildcat squad being able to wrestle with. Sights will need to be lowered.

Does Fitz finally leave if this happens? I’d have to think it would end his mission of making NU a consistent power. He might then embrace a new challenge at one of the super teams.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Been there, done that. Very hard to be competitive when Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska can stockpile good talent. It gets to be kind of ridiculous, there are kids riding the pine or only seeing garbage-time PT at those schools who would start for us. But the lure of (not actually) playing for a traditional power is more enticing than actually playing for a Northwestern, to a lot of HS players.

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. OSU
  4. Michigan
  5. Penn State
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Oklahoma
  8. Texas
  9. Texas A&M
  12. Georgia
  13. Auburn
  14. Oregon
  15. USC
  16. Arizona
  17. Tennessee
  18. South Carolina
  19. LSU
  20. Notre Dame
  21. Washington
  22. Virginia Tech
  23. Nebraska
  24. Io_a
  25. Michigan State
  26. Missouri
  27. Arizona State
  28. UNC
  29. Miami (FL)
  30. Arkansas
  31. Ole Miss
I look at that list and think "why have some of these schools over NU?" Granted, the Chicago college football TV market, which tilts toward pro sports, is largely secured with the likes of Michigan, OSU, Wiscy and Ioa, but I still think NU adds to the pie here. It would also behoove the new super conference to regularly play games in Chicago, even at smallish Ryan Field (which would almost certainly get a face lift). Do Arizona, ASU, Arkansas, Missouri, Pitt, KSU, etc. really offer that much more than NU?

Obvious questions to ask are whether this is a football only arrangement and how this (if scholarship limits are scrapped) would affect Title IX compliance.

Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, Kansas, Purdue and Indiana appear to be outside these 32+ listed. It would seem to me that some ADs might regret that once football season is over.

Last time I checked, Title IX would require massive expansion of women’s sports if this was enacted, which I am sure would be met by howls of protest at some of those schools listed.

Obvious questions to ask are whether this is a football only arrangement and how this (if scholarship limits are scrapped) would affect Title IX compliance.

Kentucky, Louisville, Duke, Kansas, Purdue and Indiana appear to be outside these 32+ listed. It would seem to me that some ADs might regret that once football season is over.

Last time I checked, Title IX would require massive expansion of women’s sports if this was enacted, which I am sure would be met by howls of protest at some of those schools listed.
I can see this on the horizon as I believe 20 year Olds can go pro anyways. Heck 18 year old kids can play football like Shawn Kemp who turned pro in hoops at 18!

Been there, done that. Very hard to be competitive when Ohio State, Michigan, and Nebraska can stockpile good talent. It gets to be kind of ridiculous, there are kids riding the pine or only seeing garbage-time PT at those schools who would start for us. But the lure of (not actually) playing for a traditional power is more enticing than actually playing for a Northwestern, to a lot of HS players.
But with the new transfer rules, you might find a lot of kids leaving after a year or two and making up much of the rosters of the non-32.

You’d have to decouple the teams from the universities. Basically it would have to be that Alabama “sponsors” a team. Kids wouldn’t have to go to school, but they would have to be paid. It would be a straight employment arrangement as a minor league that people actually care about.

I don’t think that “school-sponsors” want to have to pay players or deal with collective bargaining. If it’s all about cash, that would eat into whatever enhanced revenues this whole Dr. Evil scenario produces. But we’ll see.

I’d still put my money on 4 16-team power conferences for now.

You’d have to decouple the teams from the universities. Basically it would have to be that Alabama “sponsors” a team. Kids wouldn’t have to go to school, but they would have to be paid. It would be a straight employment arrangement as a minor league that people actually care about.

I don’t think that “school-sponsors” want to have to pay players or deal with collective bargaining. If it’s all about cash, that would eat into whatever enhanced revenues this whole Dr. Evil scenario produces. But we’ll see.

I’d still put my money on 4 16-team power conferences for now.
What reason would there be for universities to "sponsor" professional teams? I'm out at that point, for sure. We're way beyond scholarships to give students the opportunity to earn a degree. I have no reason to cheer for such teams.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
What reason would there be for universities to "sponsor" professional teams? I'm out at that point, for sure. We're way beyond scholarships to give students the opportunity to earn a degree. I have no reason to cheer for such teams.
I'm not endorsing the approach. I'm just observing that Title IX doesn't care about what business arrangement the SEC comes up with if the parties to the arrangement are educational institutions. If the sports programs are tied to schools or other educational programs that receive federal money, they have to comply with Title IX. So this whole radical expansion of rosters for the suddenly NCAA-free teams and the like doesn't fly unless the sports programs sever relationships with the schools. It would basically become a licensing program for the school's IP to put on the uniforms, a landlord-tenant relationship to use stadiums and practice facilities, marketing/ticketing/operations staff are no longer school employees but the same as any other pro team, etc.

Otherwise, whatever happens here, these programs will continue to be required not to discriminate on the basis of sex in educational programs, which translates to equal scholarship slots and proportional dollars among men and women at each university.

I'm not endorsing the approach. I'm just observing that Title IX doesn't care about what business arrangement the SEC comes up with if the parties to the arrangement are educational institutions. If the sports programs are tied to schools or other educational programs that receive federal money, they have to comply with Title IX. So this whole radical expansion of rosters for the suddenly NCAA-free teams and the like doesn't fly unless the sports programs sever relationships with the schools. It would basically become a licensing program for the school's IP to put on the uniforms, a landlord-tenant relationship to use stadiums and practice facilities, marketing/ticketing/operations staff are no longer school employees but the same as any other pro team, etc.

Otherwise, whatever happens here, these programs will continue to be required not to discriminate on the basis of sex in educational programs, which translates to equal scholarship slots and proportional dollars among men and women at each university.
The UTEPs of the world will have to close down their athletics programs and end scholarships for everybody. They're not raking it in as it is, and they can't afford to compete in the arms race and whatever dwindling media exposure they used to have will be gobbled up by the super-conference.

The UTEPs of the world will have to close down their athletics programs and end scholarships for everybody. They're not raking it in as it is, and they can't afford to compete in the arms race and whatever dwindling media exposure they used to have will be gobbled up by the super-conference.
Maybe so. But no one's really ever been looking out for the UTEPs of the world anyway.

That said, there are something like 1000 college football programs in this country, plus all the juco programs. Only 60-70 of them compete in the major conferences. The cost structures and scale of the leagues will have to change if things head in this direction, but UChicago's still fielding a team every Saturday.

Maybe so. But no one's really ever been looking out for the UTEPs of the world anyway.

That said, there are something like 1000 college football programs in this country, plus all the juco programs. Only 60-70 of them compete in the major conferences. The cost structures and scale of the leagues will have to change if things head in this direction, but UChicago's still fielding a team every Saturday.
Chicago is Division III, which means that they don't offer athletic scholarships. They are also a wealthy, private school with a large endowment. And yes, they did shut down their football team for a long time.

Reactions: Titanium999
Chicago is Division III, which means that they don't offer athletic scholarships. They are also a wealthy, private school with a large endowment. And yes, they did shut down their football team for a long time.
I understand, I'm just saying this isn't the end of college football.

Either way, we're all titillated with the possibilities, but we'll see how it plays out. My guess:

SEC B1G ACC PAC
Alabama Kansas BC Arizona
Arkansas Illinois Duke Arizona St.
Auburn IU Florida St Cal
Clemson Iowa Ga. Tech UCLA
Florida Maryland Louisville Oregon
Georgia Michigan Miami Oregon St.
Kentucky Mich. St. UNC USC
Oklahoma Minnesota NC St. Stanford
Ole Miss Nebraska ND Utah
Miss. St. NU Pitt Washington
Mizzou OSU Syracuse Washington State
Tennessee PSU Virginia Baylor
Texas Purdue Virginia Tech Texas Tech
Texas A&M Rutgers West Virginia Oklahoma State
S. Carolina Wisconsin Kansas State TCU
Vanderbilt Colo. UCF or Cincy BYU (if they can figure logistics out) or Iowa State

ACC probably would benefit from UCF, but Miami/FSU pitch a fit and ACC gives in and takes Cincinnati to avoid those schools jumping to the mega-SEC.

Iowa State gets lucky and avoids relegation to the American or Mountain West when ND stays put, Colorado jumps to B1G, and BYU doesn't want to give in on its unique challenges and benefits from being a football-only independent - leaving a spot open in the Pac-16 for the Cyclones to stay at the top level. Boise State bangs on George Kliavkoff's door when Iowa State's poor broadband drops the connection.

Another fun iteration: SEC takes OU, Texas and Clemson but boots Arkansas, Missouri and Vanderbilt, who then join forces with the Big 12 + Houston/UCF/Tulsa/USF/SMU (or BYU, same contingencies) to create the new 16-team Southwest Conference. Cincinnati, always the bridesmaid, pushes hard to displace one of those other AAC teams the whole time. Pac-12 stays at 12 because things are always wonky in the Pac. Big Ten stands pat. But this won't happen because the SEC isn't looking just to upgrade, but also to grow.

Posting this for posterity to see just how wrong I end up being! A fun exercise to think through, though.

(Yikes, the formatting was better when I typed it out - sorry!)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I understand, I'm just saying this isn't the end of college football.

Either way, we're all titillated with the possibilities, but we'll see how it plays out. My guess:

SEC B1G ACC PAC
Alabama Kansas BC Arizona
Arkansas Illinois Duke Arizona St.
Auburn IU Florida St Cal
Clemson Iowa Ga. Tech UCLA
Florida Maryland Louisville Oregon
Georgia Michigan Miami Oregon St.
Kentucky Mich. St. UNC USC
Oklahoma Minnesota NC St. Stanford
Ole Miss Nebraska ND Utah
Miss. St. NU Pitt Washington
Mizzou OSU Syracuse Washington State
Tennessee PSU Virginia Baylor
Texas Purdue Virginia Tech Texas Tech
Texas A&M Rutgers West Virginia Oklahoma State
S. Carolina Wisconsin Kansas State TCU
Vanderbilt Colo. UCF or Cincy BYU (if they can figure logistics out) or Iowa State

ACC probably would benefit from UCF, but Miami/FSU pitch a fit and ACC gives in and takes Cincinnati to avoid those schools jumping to the mega-SEC.

Iowa State gets lucky and avoids relegation to the American or Mountain West when ND stays put, Colorado jumps to B1G, and BYU doesn't want to give in on its unique challenges and benefits from being a football-only independent - leaving a spot open in the Pac-16 for the Cyclones to stay at the top level. Boise State bangs on George Kliavkoff's door when Iowa State's poor broadband drops the connection.

Another fun iteration: SEC takes OU, Texas and Clemson but boots Arkansas, Missouri and Vanderbilt, who then join forces with the Big 12 + Houston/UCF/Tulsa/USF/SMU (or BYU, same contingencies) to create the new 16-team Southwest Conference. Cincinnati, always the bridesmaid, pushes hard to displace one of those other AAC teams the whole time. Pac-12 stays at 12 because things are always wonky in the Pac. Big Ten stands pat. But this won't happen because the SEC isn't looking just to upgrade, but also to grow.

Posting this for posterity to see just how wrong I end up being! A fun exercise to think through, though.

(Yikes, the formatting was better when I typed it out - sorry!)
It is difficult to speculate on the final outcome, because I’m not sure we are even to the point of the tectonic shift. (I think it will happen this decade, but this particular go-round? Perhaps not.)

I lean far more toward the likelihood of the haves separating from the have nots, and a superconference forming. No more subsidies for unpopular/unsuccessful programs who don’t pay their own way.

I totally agree that the universities will end up decoupled from the private football teams in the superconference.(and likely many other conferences, eventually.) For the rank and file fans of the huge programs…that won’t matter a bit.

We lose that race just like we did before. Our source of funds is mostly BTN and other things that would be significantly reduced by this

I can see this on the horizon as I believe 20 year Olds can go pro anyways. Heck 18 year old kids can play football like Shawn Kemp who turned pro in hoops at 18!
Not the same in FB as in BB. Their bodies are not mature enough for the abuse at the pro level.

Because kids who have aspirations of playing pro ball know that they have to get into the superconference. And they would get paid to do it. Wisconsin would be in it and we would not. The talent gap would become bigger than ever as what was left of the BIG would become the MAC and the MAC might disappear. Anyone that thinks this would be good for the teams left behind is kidding themselves

If they are not giving scholarships because schools is no longer part of the equation as they are paid instead, no title 9. It says they have to have equal numbers of scholarships but if there are none for FB.... Either have to get rid of a lot of women's sports or add a lot of men's But without the revenue sources that FB provides...

I look at that list and think "why have some of these schools over NU?" Granted, the Chicago college football TV market, which tilts toward pro sports, is largely secured with the likes of Michigan, OSU, Wiscy and Ioa, but I still think NU adds to the pie here. It would also behoove the new super conference to regularly play games in Chicago, even at smallish Ryan Field (which would almost certainly get a face lift). Do Arizona, ASU, Arkansas, Missouri, Pitt, KSU, etc. really offer that much more than NU?
They offer much larger fanbases and dedication to watch and pay. This is driven much more by unlocking untapped potential revenues via TV and online streaming. If the B1G currently makes $50M a team, how much more could this superconference make? ESPN is desperate to boost programming and has deep Dinsey pockets.

i think a 24 superconference sounds more appealing to the powers that be given it may maximize revenues and leav less mouths to feed.

Waiting to hear more from my buddy. I was at the pool today and I think he was similarly busy.

I mostly want to ask him if ISU and Kansas are enough to placate OSU and keep them from leaving. Not sure how they would add much in revenues to justify their addition.

I also wonder if they’ll simply ask for more money, like the Big 12 is planning to offer UT or OU. This may just be a savvy negotiating ploy.

If they are not giving scholarships because schools is no longer part of the equation as they are paid instead, no title 9. It says they have to have equal numbers of scholarships but if there are none for FB.... Either have to get rid of a lot of women's sports or add a lot of men's But without the revenue sources that FB provides...
Fascinating legal questions. Perhaps some of our board lawyers could chime in.

I mostly want to ask him if ISU and Kansas are enough to placate OSU and keep them from leaving. Not sure how they would add much in revenues to justify their addition.
Come on man, ISU is never gonna happen. Who knows about Kansas, but I don't think they happen either.

Big Ten is waiting for ND and some ACC schools to open up; we gotta wait 10 years.

Come on man, ISU is never gonna happen. Who knows about Kansas, but I don't think they happen either.

Big Ten is waiting for ND and some ACC schools to open up; we gotta wait 10 years.
ND is highly unlikely to join the B1G. It’s the ACC or this superconference at some point.

ND is highly unlikely to join the B1G. It’s the ACC or this superconference at some point.
Says who?

ND is not joining ACC without Texas or something else helping boost the value of the conference.

ACC contract is the worst among the Power 5. That isn't changing, and no reason for ND to tie itself permanently to that albatross.

Just wait for next Big Ten contract.

Says who?

ND is not joining ACC without Texas or something else helping boost the value of the conference.

ACC contract is the worst among the Power 5. That isn't changing, and no reason for ND to tie itself permanently to that albatross.

Just wait for next Big Ten contract.
They would have joined the B1G as the 12th team if they were going to. Instead we got Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers. Not exactly a murderer’s row.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT