ADVERTISEMENT

SupEr Conference talks have resumed. You were warned.

STFU with that grandpa joke.
What do you mean by Jefferson pilot contract? Is that a legal term?

Highest probability of the outcome now seems like the B1G is standing pat, or adding two of the remaining Big 12 teams after OU & Texas bolt for the SEC. But I don’t see how that benefits the conference.

Incorrect.

Title IX is very simple: "No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

It is not a statement that applies only to athletic scholarships. It applies to opportunities provided to students, regardless of gender, at exactly what it says: "any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." It is not a statement that applies only to athletics; it applies with equal force to student housing, healthcare, academics, student loans. It touches every component of the campus experience.

The Ivy League does not offer athletic scholarships. Their schools still must comply with Title IX. Division III doesn't offer athletic scholarships. By and large, their schools still must comply with Title IX.

Pretty much every college and university in this country receives federal funds in one form or another. Most offer FAFSA, for instance; that means they have to comply with Title IX. If a school is one of the few that doesn't take federal funding (Hillsdale College in Michigan, an NCAA D-II school, might be the most prominent one, and it's generally schools in that vein), then it doesn't have to comply with Title IX.

So, if the football programs are decoupled from the institutions in the way discussed ITT, the schools still have to comply with Title IX. It would likely take courts to weigh in on whether those football slots count or not, which would likely be a fact-intensive inquiry as to whether the programs are truly an independent operation. It might force schools to sell the real estate and properties housing stadiums and facilities, fire all of the coaches and operations staff involved (and, ostensibly, use those people to restart separate business entities to operate the programs), and otherwise thoroughly divorce themselves from any tie whatsoever. Courts are likely to rule against the schools if there's any semblance of an attempt simply to disguise programs as for-profit businesses deriving any benefit from their statuses as nonprofit universities (Liberty as an exception there).

The short answer is: we don't know how this would work. But courts don't like attempts to fudge things in an effort to evade statutory and financial obligations that would otherwise exist. If there's a reasonable way to construe the programs as part of the university, my guess is that courts would rule that way. But if they don't, players would all gain employee status, pretty much immediately unionize and force the teams to collectively bargain. We know the schools don't want to do that, and that would represent a huge offset of the additional revenue they would create from this arrangement. They would also have to pay taxes in a way differently than they do now. If this professional Superconference thing happens, it will completely change the paradigm. Anything is possible, but it's not a quick snap of the fingers. There are a lot of layers that people much smarter than we are will have to unpeel.
No one is preventing them from anything. The point was that that they had to have same number of scholarships but if FB doesn't give them they don't have to give them to women athletes to balance them out. Maybe they offer club sports As far as selling real estate? Probably all that would be required is to lease the facilities out to the party controlling FB team

Not sure how desperate Fox is for sports ratings or or if they want a bidding war over this. But ESPN clearly is desperate based on past events, and also if they’re willing to pay a $76M “entry fee” for the SuperConference-lite (SEC + OU + TX).

Adding the rest of the college football powers and removing the smaller draws should print cash for as long as college football is popular. And it’s either happening now or in the next decade as other TV deals expire.
They've cheapened bowl games and the four-team playoff has done nothing but enrich a few of the traditional powers that were already on top. Maybe some folks like one-team conference dominance and constant Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and Oklahoma pairings in the playoffs. I'm not one of them. They definitely need a reshuffling.

What's "saving" us is we're a charter member of the Big Ten with great academics/location and willingness to spend to compete (a half billion in donations towards athletics programs and probably another $300-400 million coming for a stadium renovation).

The same thing "saving" Vanderbilt in the SEC.

The big powers still need to win most of their games, they don't want to play in an NFL where they would all have to average out to 0.500.

They want to have their cake and eat it too; they want to be in conferences where a half the teams bring markets/academic standing/etc., while also playing with another 5-6 big brand names.

A Power 2 of Big Ten/SEC with 32-38 teams is much more palatable than a single NFL-lite 20 team group of biggest brands.

That's why the SEC works for OU/Texas. There's plenty of teams they'd expect to beat every year along with the Alabama/Florida/Georgia/LSU/A&M/Auburn tier of schools.

At the end of the day other private schools (like those in the Pac-12 and ACC and of course Big 12) have much more to worry about being relegated/left behind.
Yes. But I have to figure Phillips will pull something off for the acc. That guy is brilliant and a people mover.
Otherwise, id agree with some articles that the bigten is moreso persuaded to bring in ucla, usc, stanford. The article from espn's rittenburg, who used to cover the cats, is an interesting one. USC, UCLA, Stanford. Recruits would love that. Fun games to watch for us fans

Does Fitz finally leave if this happens? I’d have to think it would end his mission of making NU a consistent power. He might then embrace a new challenge at one of the super teams.
Bears.

Who is coming up with this information? It sounds like a couple of guys drinking beer and jotting thoughts on a cocktail napkin.
After last night’s call I’m starting to have the same suspicion. However my buddy has been quite prescient in the past and claims his buddies are boosters with “triple secret” authority into the inner workings of the OSU program. And I thought his talk of a super conference was mullarkey until an ACC AD anonymously confirmed via an interview. So we’ll see.

The Big Ten has been waiting for ND about 50 years. Screw ND.
Believe me, I agree with the sentiment, but if we raid the ACC and take the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast schools, the ultimate target will be ND.

There will be a spot for them there at #20. If they say no, then sure they may miss the boat forever.

Believe me, I agree with the sentiment, but if we raid the ACC and take the Mid-Atlantic/Southeast schools, the ultimate target will be ND.

There will be a spot for them there at #20. If they say no, then sure they may miss the boat forever.
They can always form a conference with the scraps of the Big 12.

The Big Ten has been waiting for ND about 50 years. Screw ND.
Michigan’s Fielding Yost didnt want ND in the Big 10 before that because he was anti-Catholic. As stupid as it sounds, some Domers havent forgotten that. And, yes, I do know what I'm talking about. My Domer son brings it up on a regular basis.

Reactions: PaNDalum
After last night’s call I’m starting to have the same suspicion. However my buddy has been quite prescient in the past and claims his buddies are boosters with “triple secret” authority into the inner workings of the OSU program. And I thought his talk of a super conference was mullarkey until an ACC AD anonymously confirmed via an interview. So we’ll see.
Uh...you would be wise to trust your suspicion.

As far as expansion goes...the landscape is changing rapidly. Adding two schools needs to deliver equal or increased value and that doesn't happen with Kansas and Iowa State...probably not with Oklahoma State, either. And the element of "carries fees" for cable/satellite is surely a dwindling treasure chest, since less than half of the people I know under the age of 40 pay for those services anymore (but it's certainly possible that Amazon, Hulu et al recalibrate everything).

I think the Big Ten power brokers simply need to decide if they want to lay the ground work to also become a "superconference" or step back and watch the SEC buckle underneath the weight of itself. Either way, it's a big gamble.

Uh...you would be wise to trust your suspicion.

As far as expansion goes...the landscape is changing rapidly. Adding two schools needs to deliver equal or increased value and that doesn't happen with Kansas and Iowa State...probably not with Oklahoma State, either. And the element of "carries fees" for cable/satellite is surely a dwindling treasure chest, since less than half of the people I know under the age of 40 pay for those services anymore (but it's certainly possible that Amazon, Hulu et al recalibrate everything).

I think the Big Ten power brokers simply need to decide if they want to lay the ground work to also become a "superconference" or step back and watch the SEC buckle underneath the weight of itself. Either way, it's a big gamble.
He texted me this morning claiming that he had updates. I let him know of my suspicions given he clearly had some drinks last time we talked, and I’m not one to let a drunkard dupe me.

He confirmed that his OSU booster buddies are honing in on two teams that are achievable - the superconference will still happen in a decade or two but right now the economics are prohibitive. I asked him to connect on one of our lunch breaks (today or tomorrow) as we both work day jobs so I know he’ll be sober.

Will report back with what I hear.

BTW I’m under 40 and still pay for cable - FIOS charges the same for it with internet as they do without, so why not. I don’t watch much TV but it ensures ready access to the BTN.

Yes. But I have to figure Phillips will pull something off for the acc. That guy is brilliant and a people mover.
Otherwise, id agree with some articles that the bigten is moreso persuaded to bring in ucla, usc, stanford. The article from espn's rittenburg, who used to cover the cats, is an interesting one. USC, UCLA, Stanford. Recruits would love that. Fun games to watch for us fans
Turk, what do your other articles say about Texas and Oklahoma’s chances to join the SEC? Are they guaranteed to get the 11 votes required, or could they be hung out to dry (which would be hilarious)?

He texted me this morning claiming that he had updates. I let him know of my suspicions given he clearly had some drinks last time we talked, and I’m not one to let a drunkard dupe me.

He confirmed that his OSU booster buddies are honing in on two teams that are achievable - the superconference will still happen in a decade or two but right now the economics are prohibitive. I asked him to connect on one of our lunch breaks (today or tomorrow) as we both work day jobs so I know he’ll be sober.

Will report back with what I hear.

BTW I’m under 40 and still pay for cable - FIOS charges the same for it with internet as they do without, so why not. I don’t watch much TV but it ensures ready access to the BTN.
Thats funny. Im not a big tech guy and I am an old prick but I dont pay for cable or even have a TV. I watch all my sports free on the live sports app and watch about 2 hours of videos on tic toc for entertainment.

I have flirted with the idea of a TV since I heard one can get a goodie for $200 now.

Turk, what do your other articles say about Texas and Oklahoma’s chances to join the SEC? Are they guaranteed to get the 11 votes required, or could they be hung out to dry (which would be hilarious)?

I havent had much time to google football expansion the last couple days as I walked to my fav beach bar and spent a bit more time than I should have.
But if its any consolation, a guy sitting a couple seats over kept saying that usc is a done deal for the bigten.

It should be noted that some time afterwards he also said he thought the raiders will win the super bowl this year.

Reactions: NU Houston
You have "Bears." in the same message where you are quoting a post that says "super teams". Um...what's wrong with this picture?
Perhaps because the quote was asking if there was any truth to the multiple conference realignments would Fitz finally leave NU.
I was suggesting if he did leave that I think the Bears job might be one he would consider.

Perhaps because the quote was asking if there was any truth to the multiple conference realignments would Fitz finally leave NU.
I was suggesting if he did leave that I think the Bears job might be one he would consider.
I forgot the /s font sorry. Meant to poke fun at the Bears

I havent had much time to google football expansion the last couple days as I walked to my fav beach bar and spent a bit more time than I should have.
But if its any consolation, a guy sitting a couple seats over kept saying that usc is a done deal for the bigten.

It should be noted that some time afterwards he also said he thought the raiders will win the super bowl this year.
Just got off the horn with my buddy. USC isn’t happening. They haven’t been truly relevant since Pete Carroll left, and OSU doesn’t want a “SoCal Michigan” to deal with. Plus the travel is prohibitive until a true superconference is formed in a few years.
  • Sounds like the SupErConference is on hold - there are certain teams desired from the ACC that can’t be poached and Notre Dame isn’t budging… yet. Plus the SEC is holding the cards
  • So OSU has pivoted - they want two more patsies in football, but one that is closer, has a large fanbase, sway to keep DC politicians happy, and is regularly ranked in football - that team is West Virginia University
  • Kansas is the other desired Big 12 team, as they would be another easy win in football - and add a blue blood basketball team, justifying their addition
  • i asked my buddy repeatedly if he had been drinking this morning. He said “just 5 cups of coffee” so I don’t think the spirits are influencing this
  • So here are my buddy’s proposed new Conference alignments. I told you guys NUFB would be just fine… MBB is a different story
  • East:
    • OSU
    • Indiana
    • Maryland
    • Michigan
    • Michigan State
    • Penn State
    • Rutgers
    • WVU
  • West:
    • Northwestern
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota
    • Illinois
    • Iowa
    • Nebraska
    • Purdue
    • Kansas

Just got off the horn with my buddy. USC isn’t happening. They haven’t been truly relevant since Pete Carroll left, and OSU doesn’t want a “SoCal Michigan” to deal with. Plus the travel is prohibitive until a true superconference is formed in a few years.
  • Sounds like the SupErConference is on hold - there are certain teams desired from the ACC that can’t be poached and Notre Dame isn’t budging… yet. Plus the SEC is holding the cards
  • So OSU has pivoted - they want two more patsies in football, but one that is closer, has a large fanbase, sway to keep DC politicians happy, and is regularly ranked in football - that team is West Virginia University
  • Kansas is the other desired Big 12 team, as they would be another easy win in football - and add a blue blood basketball team, justifying their addition
  • i asked my buddy repeatedly if he had been drinking this morning. He said “just 5 cups of coffee” so I don’t think the spirits are influencing this
  • So here are my buddy’s proposed new Conference alignments. I told you guys NUFB would be just fine… MBB is a different story
  • East:
    • OSU
    • Indiana
    • Maryland
    • Michigan
    • Michigan State
    • Penn State
    • Rutgers
    • WVU
  • West:
    • Northwestern
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota
    • Illinois
    • Iowa
    • Nebraska
    • Purdue
    • Kansas
Did you clear this with the Rock?

• Haha
Reactions: FeralFelidae
Out at seeing Nebraska under a "super-conference" title, then back in when I realize everyone needs a Nebraska for homecoming.

Why would he leave because of a better conference? He’d be on the road and see his family less in the NFL dealing with lower character players. He’d also have way less power.

• East:
    • OSU
    • Indiana
    • Maryland
    • Michigan
    • Michigan State
    • Penn State
    • Rutgers
    • WVU
  • West:
    • Northwestern
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota
    • Illinois
    • Iowa
    • Nebraska
    • Purdue
    • Kansas
I actually don't hate this idea, but as West Virginia isn't in the AAU, it may be a non-starter based on other information provided, including by Rittenberg.

• East:
    • OSU
    • Indiana
    • Maryland
    • Michigan
    • Michigan State
    • Penn State
    • Rutgers
    • WVU
  • West:
    • Northwestern
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota
    • Illinois
    • Iowa
    • Nebraska
    • Purdue
    • Kansas
Your buddy probably isn't quite as connected as he thinks.

The ACC turned down WVU on academics; how would they get into the even more snooty Big Ten? It's not AAU, and it's ranked far below Nebraska on any metric that the Big Ten presidents care about...

Neither Kansas nor WVU would pay for themselves. Big Ten is waiting for the ACC schools at this point; I think writing is on the wall that we're not going to do anything.

Big Ten presidents want more schools like Maryland; they want UNC, UVa, Duke, Ga Tech. They'll likely have to accept a school like FSU for their football brand and markets as well even though FSU is basically another Nebraska (non-AAU, not really in the tier of schools that the Big Ten wants most).

I actually don't hate this idea, but as West Virginia isn't in the AAU, it may be a non-starter based on other information provided, including by Rittenberg.
Rittenberg has been out of touch with the B1G since he took that national role.

You may as well call that network ESecPN. Don’t let the AAU stuff mislead you. Do you think we added UNL for their academics?

Rittenberg has been out of touch with the B1G since he took that national role.

You may as well call that network ESecPN. Don’t let the AAU stuff mislead you. Do you think we added UNL for their academics?
This is correct, for the right football powers (ND for sure, FSU probably), Big Ten will ignore the AAU aspect.

This is correct, for the right football powers (ND for sure, FSU probably), Big Ten will ignore the AAU aspect.
FSU hasn’t been a power since Bobby Bowden’s heyday. Why would they make an exception for them and not WVU, which has had both a superior football and basketball program for some time? FSU belongs in the SEC if the super conference falls through, and the rest of the ACC is off limits for years.

The AAU requirement is overblown. Cold hard cash is driving the changes in the SEC, and really all of college football. OSU isn’t playing for tattoos and free cars anymore. They want to be appeased like PSU was.

FSU hasn’t been a power since Bobby Bowden’s heyday. Why would they make an exception for them and not WVU, which has had both a superior football and basketball program for some time? FSU belongs in the SEC if the super conference falls through, and the rest of the ACC is off limits for years.

The AAU requirement is overblown. Cold hard cash is driving the changes in the SEC, and really all of college football. OSU isn’t playing for tattoos and free cars anymore. They want to be appeased like PSU was.
WVU's academics are not close to the Big Ten; if they couldn't get into the ACC, they have no shot at the Big Ten. They'd be an outlier far below Nebraska on every metric for the Big Ten.

Because FSU brings way way way bigger markets; they have decent pull over all Florida markets (2nd behind UF in most).

And FSU is a national brand in a way that WVU is not.

FSU hasn’t been a power since Bobby Bowden’s heyday. Why would they make an exception for them and not WVU, which has had both a superior football and basketball program for some time?

Since WVU joined the Big XII in 2012-13:

FOOTBALL
WVU: 62-49 (40-40 Big XII), 0 national titles, 0 conference titles, 0 division titles, 0 NY6 bids, 2-5 record in bowls
FSU: 80-35 (46-26 ACC), 1 national title, 3 conference titles, 3 division titles, 5 NY6 bids, 4-3 record in bowls

BASKETBALL
WVU: 190-115 (86-75 Big XII), 0 national titles, 0 conference titles, 0 conference tournament titles, 5 NCAAs (3 Sweet 16s), 1 NIT, 1 CBI.
FSU: 199-101 (95-66 ACC), 0 national titles, 1 conference title, 0 conference tournament titles, 4 NCAAs (1 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s), 3 NITs.
(Each would also have made the NCAAs in 2020)

Not seeing the big draw for WVU here.

Since WVU joined the Big XII in 2012-13:

FOOTBALL
WVU: 62-49 (40-40 Big XII), 0 national titles, 0 conference titles, 0 division titles, 0 NY6 bids, 2-5 record in bowls
FSU: 80-35 (46-26 ACC), 1 national title, 3 conference titles, 3 division titles, 5 NY6 bids, 4-3 record in bowls

BASKETBALL
WVU: 190-115 (86-75 Big XII), 0 national titles, 0 conference titles, 0 conference tournament titles, 5 NCAAs (3 Sweet 16s), 1 NIT, 1 CBI.
FSU: 199-101 (95-66 ACC), 0 national titles, 1 conference title, 0 conference tournament titles, 4 NCAAs (1 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s), 3 NITs.
(Each would also have made the NCAAs in 2020)

Not seeing the big draw for WVU here.
WVU may get trumped by Colorado, ISU, or OkSU. But geographically and culturally they make the most sense aside from ISU, but we of course already have a foothold in Iowa.

Michigan’s Fielding Yost didnt want ND in the Big 10 before that because he was anti-Catholic. As stupid as it sounds, some Domers havent forgotten that. And, yes, I do know what I'm talking about. My Domer son brings it up on a regular basis.
Right. I've heard that one. And when did Fielding Yost last coach for Michigan?

WVU may get trumped by Colorado, ISU, or OkSU. But geographically and culturally they make the most sense aside from ISU, but we of course already have a foothold in Iowa.
I've been to games at West Virginia and have been to State College when Penn State hosted them, and I sincerely doubt they're any closer a cultural fit than any of the other three teams mentioned.

WVU's academics are not close to the Big Ten; if they couldn't get into the ACC, they have no shot at the Big Ten. They'd be an outlier far below Nebraska on every metric for the Big Ten.

Because FSU brings way way way bigger markets; they have decent pull over all Florida markets (2nd behind UF in most).

And FSU is a national brand in a way that WVU is not.
This is the key point. If you're adding a school that doesn't fit the usual academic profile, West Virginia doesn't bring enough eyeballs with it. It's also somewhere around #60 in the national rankings of universities, similar to Rutgers and Maryland. West Virginia is in the mid-200s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT