ADVERTISEMENT

Takeaways

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
A little serious a little tongue in cheek.

1. northwestern fans on this board don’t know much about coaching football. I’ll keep O’Neil another year

2. frost won’t get fired as Nebraska may win 7-8 games

3. we have an o line

4. we have a running game with unreal depth

5. fitz has balls and they have grown over the past decade

6. we have special teams. Minus the field goal

7. Please can we get rid of fox

one hilinsky spelling
Kept saying why are we running the ball
We ran it cause fitz trusted his online and running backs.
I’m sure there is more.

one more

Louie. You went out a limb and picked the cats. Keep it up.

Last edited:

1. northwestern fans on this board don’t know much about coaching football. I’ll keep O’Neil another year

3. we have an o line

one hilinsky spelling
I’m sure there is more.
We have a quarterback too

Reactions: drewjin and rmndcat
I’m a huge proponent for chucking the ball. And I threw shit at my TV when we ran on 3rd and long. But those last couple drives where we just kept running, I had absolutely no problem with that. Probably would have liked to see a play action pass somewhere in there, but wasn’t upset with that at all.

3. we have an o line

one hilinsky spelling
I’m sure there is more.
I can't be sure but I think he said cole Porter More than once

It's amazing how far Fitz has come as a coach.

He really has his pulse on the game these days in a way that only comes with a ton of experience. His growth as a gameday coach has really been something to see the past 2 decades.
I remember well the Duke game in his first season when, after a Duke penalty, he took a made FG off the board despite the accepted penalty NOT giving us a first down. We chased those three points the rest of the game and ultimately lost. Rookie mistake.

I remember well the Duke game in his first season when, after a Duke penalty, he took a made FG off the board despite the accepted penalty NOT giving us a first down. We chased those three points the rest of the game and ultimately lost. Rookie mistake.
Yeah, beyond that just felt like he was always trying to coach a team that he wished he'd had but wasn't quite yet there; a team that could get a lead and then just pound the ball to the end.

We've gotten the talent to be that team a couple times in the last decade+.

Overall, the feel he has for the game is so much more on point. We've won so many tight games that came down to important decisions made at the end and his track record has been excellent in recent years in those.

The game was a true representation of how Northwestern wins with 60 minutes of effort and how Nebraska loses games by not playing complete games.

Akers is very good, this is not unimportant.

Fitz made Ferentz look like a riverboat gambler.

First (meaningful) blitz was called due to formation. For those that understand what they are watching, that was a thing of beauty.

Nebraska had no running game, and more importantly, didn't try to establish it. They could have, and maybe should have won doing this. This is what they do though, and Fitz knew it, and played into it.

Very poor tackling, especially by Nebraska. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Nebraska gave up big plays. Wash, rinse, repeat.

For game #1, NW looked very disciplined and very well coached.

Hilinski had good coaching and awareness regarding when he took the snap when trying to eat the clock.

End zone cameras showed Nebraska's complete lack of gap control. Be careful what you take away from this game. Nebraska's defense was there for the taking. Credit to NW for eventually spotting this and exploiting this.

Multiple times Henrich, was out of position and he couldn't tackle.

When Fitz was outdoing Ferentz, there were multiple times Nebraska's safety was out of position. Play action over the top burns them. One would assume NW knew this and didn't think they needed this. If NW missed this, this is a concern. Given the situation at the time, I think NW missed this.

NW had more penalties than Nebraska. This is concerning.

The fumble lost can be cleaned up. NW coaching staff did this on the sideline immediately.

I like Hull and Porter. I can crawl into the weeds with my reasoning if anyone is interested.

NW TD run. Nebraska quit. We need to see NW play a better defensive team before any conclusions are made. This was not a good defensive team we beat today.

Officials seem to be letting PI go. One critical hold on Nebby's TD run. It went both ways.

Nebraska defense consistently didn't know how to defend play action roll-out drag routes.

Northwestern had issues on first play after explosive plays into redzone today. Delay and TO.

Bad false start call, I think. TE shift (allowable),DT then jumps into the neutral zone, then OL (Skoronski) moves. I need to watch the replay again before I can break it down conclusively.

Brock Huard loves him some Nebraska.

Poor tackling by both defenses early. I need to watch the replay again for improvement in fundamentals.

I have a lot more analysis, but it gets pretty "inside baseball" and I'm not sure many would be able to follow when I start to use schematic D & O position #"s, and abbreviations.

The game was a true representation of how Northwestern wins with 60 minutes of effort and how Nebraska loses games by not playing complete games.

First (meaningful) blitz was called due to formation. For those that understand what they are watching, that was a thing of beauty.

Nebraska had no running game, and more importantly, didn't try to establish it. They could have, and maybe should have won doing this. This is what they do though, and Fitz knew it, and played into it.

Hilinski had good coaching and awareness regarding when he took the snap when trying to eat the clock.

End zone cameras showed Nebraska's complete lack of gap control. Be careful what you take away from this game. Nebraska's defense was there for the taking. Credit to NW for eventually spotting this and exploiting this.

When Fitz was outdoing Ferentz, there were multiple times Nebraska's safety was out of position. Play action over the top burns them. One would assume NW knew this and didn't think they needed this. If NW missed this, this is a concern. Given the situation at the time, I think NW missed this.

The fumble lost can be cleaned up. NW coaching staff did this on the sideline immediately.

I like Hull and Porter. I can crawl into the weeds with my reasoning if anyone is interested.

NW TD run. Nebraska quit. We need to see NW play a better defensive team before any conclusions are made. This was not a good defensive team we beat today.

Officials seem to be letting PI go. One critical hold on Nebby's TD run. It went both ways.

Nebraska defense consistently didn't know how to defend play action roll-out drag routes.

Northwestern had issues on first play after explosive plays into redzone today. Delay and TO.

Bad false start call, I think. TE shift (allowable),DT then jumps into the neutral zone, then OL (Skoronski) moves. I need to watch the replay again before I can break it down conclusively.

Poor tackling by both defenses early. I need to watch the replay again for improvement in fundamentals.

I have a lot more analysis, but it gets pretty "inside baseball" and I'm not sure many would be able to follow when I start to use schematic D & O position #"s, and abbreviations.
"Officials seem to be letting PI go," except on the pass that Wilt Chamberlain couldn't have reached

Very fair. I'm not a Northwestern fan, so didn't watch as closely as you probably did, but I break down my team's games in similar fashion.

What I noticed, and you hinted at it, was part of Nebraska's lack of defensive discipline was over pursuit. Nebraska's LB play was horrible, and should have been exploited immediately, which it wasn't.

Also they let pass interference go to an extent I haven't seen in B1G play. The calls they did make were obvious, and when they called it, they didn't miss anything.

What I saw was a football team, not sure how good or bad yet, beat a very, very undisciplined team, that might or might not get better.

Yeah, I need to see what NW does against a real defense. I'm not dissatisfied with what I witnessed, but yesterday's game isn't the best way to learn what we have. And no one can answer how it develops. It depends how you define talent. Pure athletic ability? Nebraska, and it isn't close. Coaching, discipline, fundamental football? That's a different answer.

You're the Iowa guy that made a big deal about our incident last season?

Pure athletic ability? Nebraska, and it isn't close.
This statement is not based on fact in my view but rather history and perhaps some unfair stereotype. There are more than a few NU athletes on the team that would take issue with your statement. Look at the graphic they did on Adebawore - 30 reps on the 225 bench and 37.5” vertical. He and Hull also, would likely not agree with your statement.

This statement is not based on fact in my view but rather history and perhaps some unfair stereotype. There are more than a few NU athletes on the team that would take issue with your statement. Look at the graphic they did on Adebawore - 30 reps on the 225 bench and 37.5” vertical. He and Hull also, would likely not agree with your statement.

We're going to disagree, and it isn't, and shouldn't be taken as a slam on Northwestern players. Nebraska had more players, with more natural talent on the field yesterday, and it's been this way for several years, and not just against Northwestern. Northwestern and other teams take kids with less talent and develops them.

This is a culture, coaching and development thing. Ask the guy from Iowa that posts on here. He's pretty clear and objective and understands football. I'd be surprised if he didn't admit Nebraska has had better talent than Iowa several years, and Iowa, like Northwestern, still wins.

The unfair generalization in my view was Nebraska being favored by 13.5 given all the data points we have about who and what they are.

What is true is that NW has started to recruit to a pretty high level recently, but even so, it is largely dependent on development.

Who is this"NW" you speak of?

Great post. I did not have a chance to watch the entire game. Watched the last 10 minutes.

I would love to see an analysis. It is great to get a deep critical view/analysis.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. You referenced Ferentz a couple of times where you obviously meant Frost. Please edit so your post is correct. Thx.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. You referenced Ferentz a couple of times where you obviously meant Frost. Please edit so your post is correct. Thx.
I meant Fitz and I meant Ferentz with respect to play calling.

I see no useful purpose in referencing Frost, except to point out certain differences in discipline, culture, etc.

The play calling and styles of Fitz and Ferentz are often similar, and a much better comparison.

Maybe you missed it, but NW coaching staff missed several out of position Nebraska players and formations, and my refence was Fitz was more conservative than Ferentz in these instances in play calling, when he had opportunity to put the game away by throwing over the top, at a Nebraska safety clearly out of position several plays in a row.

Clearly out of position, and once NW was huddled on the sideline and Nebraska was already lined up. They'll see it when they review tape. It is also obvious example of poor coaching, and lack of discipline by Nebraska. No one does what they did there. It was pretty clear, even on tv.

I meant Fitz and I meant Ferentz with respect to play calling.

I see no useful purpose in referencing Frost, except to point out certain differences in discipline, culture, etc.

The play calling and styles of Fitz and Ferentz are often similar, and a much better comparison.

Maybe you missed it, but NW coaching staff missed several out of position Nebraska players and formations, and my refence was Fitz was more conservative than Ferentz in these instances in play calling, when he had opportunity to put the game away by throwing over the top, at a Nebraska safety clearly out of position several plays in a row.

Clearly out of position, and once NW was huddled on the sideline and Nebraska was already lined up. They'll see it when they review tape. It is also obvious example of poor coaching, and lack of discipline by Nebraska. No one does what they did there. It was pretty clear, even on tv.
Would appreciate your insights on those plays where UNLs D was out of position and should have been exploited. Havent been through the second half yet so will be looking.

We’ve had some posters in the past post some screen shots and break down the tape. I always enjoyed reading those and learned a good deal.

Reactions: drewjin
Would appreciate your insights on those plays where UNLs D was out of position and should have been exploited. Havent been through the second half yet so will be looking.
It's pretty simple. We were running the ball when everyone knew we'd be running. Their safety cheated every play. We ran on third and medium, and I believe third and long. Twice and once I believe, maybe more. We could have thrown over the top, and that would probably have gone for a TD. I understand conservative, and we could have rolled and ran a drag, which Nebraska couldn't defend all game. If it wasn't there, QB1 keeps, and no worse off than running into a 3/1/2 stack.

There is quite a lot more to it than that, and some questions that can't be answered would need to be answered first. Such as, did NW OC1 see it? t

When you watch it on tv you'll see some of this, but not all of it. But enough to notice it if you know what to look for. To oversimplify there were essentially in cover 1 and cover 0 and didn't even try to disguise it by having someone under and over. That's usually over, but that depends on whether they have l.b. support, which they didn't.

Reactions: catfans5
It's pretty simple. We were running the ball when everyone knew we'd be running. Their safety cheated every play. We ran on third and medium, and I believe third and long. Twice and once I believe, maybe more. We could have thrown over the top, and that would probably have gone for a TD. I understand conservative, and we could have rolled and ran a drag, which Nebraska couldn't defend all game. If it wasn't there, QB1 keeps, and no worse off than running into a 3/1/2 stack.

There is quite a lot more to it than that, and some questions that can't be answered would need to be answered first. Such as, did NW OC1 see it? t

When you watch it on tv you'll see some of this, but not all of it. But enough to notice it if you know what to look for. To oversimplify there were essentially in cover 1 and cover 0 and didn't even try to disguise it by having someone under and over. That's usually over, but that depends on whether they have l.b. support, which they didn't.
I have to agree with this. I think the 3rd and longs were conservative even for Fitzball. It made the game dangerously close when we could have put it away. But if you are new to following NU football, this is Fitz. I, too, wish we would have tried a play action pass, or even a QB draw or bootleg run, or even an end around with Hull coming in motion from one of those split out formations. Or heck, even tried the Wildcat with Porter which should have even less risk since there is no handoff?! All those were very low risk options that were probably more likely to work than RUTM. And worst case scenario we lose a few yards, which we needed to do anyway for room to punt.

Honestly I think it was as much Fitz wanting to cram in down their throat rather than having to do some kind of misdirection.

Honestly I think it was as much Fitz wanting to cram in down their throat rather than having to do some kind of misdirection.
One of my favorite regular-season games ever was when we had Jason Wright and Noah Herron in the same backfield. Against Illinois, we didn’t even attempt a pass for the entire second half. (Technically there was one pass play wiped out by a penalty)

We wanted to, and did, just jam it down their throats the entire half. With Hull, Porter and Clair in the backfield , this OL could start to make that look tempting if they keep improving.

One of my favorite regular-season games ever was when we had Jason Wright and Noah Herron in the same backfield. Against Illinois, we didn’t even attempt a pass for the entire second half. (Technically there was one pass play wiped out by a penalty)

We wanted to, and did, just jam it down their throats the entire half. With Hull, Porter and Clair in the backfield , this OL could start to make that look tempting if they keep improving.
I agree

Reactions: HappyNUyear

3. we have an o line

one hilinsky spelling
I’m sure there is more.

one more

3. we have an o line

one hilinsky spelling
I’m sure there is more.

one more

I agree wholeheartedly! O'Neil finally got the players on the same page and from the looks of the current recruiting class, he is getting the players he needs. The D should be tight for the near future at least. I said this in one of the game thread posts I made and that is with an opened up offense Hilinsky is a stud QB. He is our man!!!!!

It’s NU, as in Northwestern University and not NW

Nebraska thinks they’re NU, however they’re really UN-L as it’s University of Nebraska-Lincoln

Also some of the 3rd down play calling was concerning. That is correctable.
Give it a rest. He took his time and was gracious enough to provide some nice analysis and you have to pull this NU/NW crap.

I’m a huge proponent for chucking the ball. And I threw shit at my TV when we ran on 3rd and long. But those last couple drives where we just kept running, I had absolutely no problem with that. Probably would have liked to see a play action pass somewhere in there, but wasn’t upset with that at all.
Against better teams, we need to take advantage in the red zone and not run the ball on third down and setting for a field goal. Hilinski has the talent but I don’t think the coaching staff completely trusts him yet in those critical scoring situations

Reactions: drewjin
Hilinski has the talent but I don’t think the coaching staff completely trusts him yet in those critical scoring situations

That's what it looked like to me. No way to really tell. This is one example of why I seldom criticize coaches unless it's obvious. Play calling is not obvious very often. So even in the situations above, one needs to take that obvious defensive weak spot, and weigh that against an observation such as you posted. AS opposed to Nebraska coming out and showing the opponent what their defensive set was going to be, which is an obvious coaching error. The players made the mistake, but that error in my view is coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT