ADVERTISEMENT

Talor Battle

For all of you who wanted PBS to return so that PBJ would come to NU, that ship has sailed.

Collins instead hires Boo Buie's brother.

Welcome Talor and I hope you kick ass.

New Assistant Coach
One of my all time favorite players in our conference. He was an assassin every time we played them.

During Battle's career at PSU, which included the first 3 of our 4 NIT teams, PSU went 6-0 against us.

I am optimistic about this hire. It's justified on its own if he helps unlock Buie as a true lead guard. He was a great player, the kind of guy we'd all have loved to have, and knows something about lifting a cellar dweller into the tournament.

Reactions: 7th Cir. Cat
“Guys, ya gotta make ‘em. You know, like this.”

I like the player.

I love this hire. He was amazing as a player and I think he will become an excellent coach and recruiter as well. We will benefit from his experience as a clutch performer in bigtime moments. At times these past few years, that instinct was lacking and I look forward to his leadership and confidence rubbing off on our team.

Why did he leave PSU?

It appears the new coach liked him. It is his alma matter. He's as close to a legend as PSU basketball has. It is a bottom dweller, but so is NU.

It probably plays well for us in the recruiting trail. Someone the recruits, way more easily, relate to.

Reactions: Titanium999
Why did he leave PSU?

It appears the new coach liked him. It is his alma matter. He's as close to a legend as PSU basketball has. It is a bottom dweller, but so is NU.

It probably plays well for us in the recruiting trail. Someone the recruits, way more easily, relate to.
While still on the staff, he wasn't going to be an assistant coach there anymore.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
With no disrespect to Mr. Battle, I am underwhelmed by this hire relative to coaching pedigree. I also think it sets up a really odd dynamic among the team and coaches. Just my uninformed opinion.

Of course, I wish him and the ‘Cats well.

Last edited:
LOL at all the posters here impressed with this hire. Former D1 players who weren’t good enough to go pro and so are looking to begin a coaching career are a dime a dozen. Nothing against Battle, but his alma mater didn’t even want to hire him as a real coach. And here’s Collins, because everyone sees the writing on the wall with him, being forced to offer an assistant coaching job to a guy who hasn’t demonstrated anything in the coaching profession at this level. The real candidates are staying as far away from NU as possible while Collins is still here and sucking it up.

LOL at all the posters here impressed with this hire. Former D1 players who weren’t good enough to go pro and so are looking to begin a coaching career are a dime a dozen. Nothing against Battle, but his alma mater didn’t even want to hire him as a real coach. And here’s Collins, because everyone sees the writing on the wall with him, being forced to offer an assistant coaching job to a guy who hasn’t demonstrated anything in the coaching profession at this level. The real candidates are staying as far away from NU as possible while Collins is still here and sucking it up.
LOL at you pushing your agenda at 2:44 AM

With no disrespect to Mr. Battle, I am underwhelmed by this hire relative to coaching pedigree. I also think it sets up a really odd dynamic among the team and coaches. Just my uninformed opinion.

Of course, I wish him and the ‘Cats well.

Will agree to disagree. In my mind, a young, relatable coach that’s been through the B1G wars is exactly what this team needed.

The uniformed one here is you.

Since an old post is being dredged up, I saw this. Bob Knight, Dean Smith, and Coach K weren't good enough to play in the pro leagues. They did fairly well in coaching.

Since an old post is being dredged up, I saw this. Bob Knight, Dean Smith, and Coach K weren't good enough to play in the pro leagues. They did fairly well in coaching.
For every Dean Smith there’s a thousand guys you’ve never even heard of. If Battle was a coaching savant on the level of the 3 you named, he would still be at his alma mater. Highly regarded young coaches don’t sign up to be an assistant for a dead man walking at a historically bad program.

Reactions: Vassar69
Collins is only a "dead man walking" in the brains of a few internet "experts." He'll be closely evaluated by the new A.D. for sure, but I doubt it's anywhere close to a done deal.
New AD. Major fundraising projects complete. Football team is untouchable. Collins showing he was just a flash in the pan. Have to be blind to think the writing’s not on the wall. In any case, it’s not a situation that the next Dean Smith would throw themselves into.

Reactions: Vassar69
New AD. Major fundraising projects complete. Football team is untouchable. Collins showing he was just a flash in the pan. Have to be blind to think the writing’s not on the wall. In any case, it’s not a situation that the next Dean Smith would throw themselves into.
Well when you put it that way...

The timing to turn the page is pretty good. New AD almost always wants to make a change somewhere. The facilities are built and impressing the recruits. If there is a time to replace Collins, it is probably soon. And fans aren't particularly enamored with 3 consecutive seasons in which the basketball team has lost AT LEAST 10 straight games.

But.... isn't Collins signed thru 2025? If so, does anybody know the buyout?

Reactions: ThirdCoast
Well when you put it that way...

The timing to turn the page is pretty good. New AD almost always wants to make a change somewhere. The facilities are built and impressing the recruits. If there is a time to replace Collins, it is probably soon. And fans aren't particularly enamored with 3 consecutive seasons in which the basketball team has lost AT LEAST 10 straight games.

But.... isn't Collins signed thru 2025? If so, does anybody know the buyout?
I don’t know the buyout or the terms of Collins’ contract but I do know if you’re serious about fielding a competitive team you’re going to have to make a change soon. As you can see with recruiting this year, eventually your lack of success and negative recruiting by other schools is going to make it impossible to bring in good players. And fan support is going to grind down to nothing, which starts impacting revenues. I’ve got to think this year is it for Collins if he doesn’t improve significantly.

Reactions: peatymeanis
I don’t know the buyout or the terms of Collins’ contract but I do know if you’re serious about fielding a competitive team you’re going to have to make a change soon. As you can see with recruiting this year, eventually your lack of success and negative recruiting by other schools is going to make it impossible to bring in good players. And fan support is going to grind down to nothing, which starts impacting revenues. I’ve got to think this year is it for Collins if he doesn’t improve significantly.
Since there seems to be such loud voices dominating discussion here about Collins’ future, I would like your nominees and likelihood which or if each player you list will transfer if Collins is fired.

• Wow
Reactions: willycat
Since there seems to be such loud voices dominating discussion here about Collins’ future, I would like your nominees and likelihood which or if each player you list will transfer if Collins is fired.
I don't think anybody necessarily transfers if Collins is fired.
Some guys (like Nicholson potentially) might transfer if Collins stays and they aren't getting the playing time they think they deserve.
It depends on playing time and how they are getting along with Collins and the new hire, if one is announced.

I don't think anybody necessarily transfers if Collins is fired.
Some guys (like Nicholson potentially) might transfer if Collins stays and they aren't getting the playing time they think they deserve.
It depends on playing time and how they are getting along with Collins and the new hire, if one is announced.
You do realize that some players almost always transfer when a coaching change is made.

I will have an opinion as soon as Chet Hanks weighs in on it.

You do realize that some players almost always transfer when a coaching change is made.
Normally the guys who leave are the guys who like the coach and are getting plenty of minutes.
Kopp led the team in minutes and still gave up.
Northwestern is probably a little different because the university is viewed as elite among Power 5 schools, really only competing prestige-wise with Duke, Stanford and perhaps Vanderbilt. If the coach leaves, the coach leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT