ADVERTISEMENT

Tate Martell of OSU now in transfer portal

FanatiCat

May 29, 2001
It is a whole new game for top QBs the past few years, it seems. Is this going to be the new norm? Top five ranked QBs at top five ranked schools transferring if they don’t get the starting job in 1 to 2 years?

It is a whole new game for top QBs the past few years, it seems. Is this going to be the new norm? Top five ranked QBs at top five ranked schools transferring if they don’t get the starting job in 1 to 2 years?
Yep. It already is the new norm. Be glad NU got the benefit of it for once.

It also suggests we shouldn't get uptight when we don't land elite talent at particular positions when our depth chart doesn't provide an avenue to a starting job right away. Nature of the game these days.

Be very careful. Does anybody really know where this so-called portal takes you?

StargateSG1.png

It also suggests we shouldn't get uptight when we don't land elite talent at particular positions when our depth chart doesn't provide an avenue to a starting job right away. Nature of the game these days.
I think QB is a unique case. Unlike other positions, teams don't rotate QBs in and out. Consider the NU situation, where Thorson played every game during his 4 years of eligibility. I wouldn't have blamed one of the back-ups for transferring. The biological clock ticks away for QBs, and the best want to be on the field to max their chances of an NFL shot. The luxury of having a 5* backing up a 5* seems to be a thing of the past.

Reactions: klemman
Not only did Thorson play 53 games straight but the vast majority were not blowouts on either side, so aside from the Music City Bowl and the first 3 games this year, I don’t recall any other QB in any meaningful snaps in the past 4 years.

I think QB is a unique case. Unlike other positions, teams don't rotate QBs in and out. Consider the NU situation, where Thorson played every game during his 4 years of eligibility. I wouldn't have blamed one of the back-ups for transferring. The biological clock ticks away for QBs, and the best want to be on the field to max their chances of an NFL shot. The luxury of having a 5* backing up a 5* seems to be a thing of the past.

QB is the strongest case but it applies anywhere only one guy can be on the field at a time. RB, particularly when there's a bellcow in place, is like that. MLB is like that. Punters and kickers have been like that forever. No excuses for pass catchers, pass rushers, OLs or DBs.

Martell was a four-star, and the number two dual-threat, per Rivals.

It’s shocking to me that he doesn’t think he can compete with a program newcomer. Buyer beware.

(HuJo was already third on the chart following spring - different case.)

It’s shocking to me that he doesn’t think he can compete with a program newcomer. Buyer beware.

Hurt feelings?

Word is he's looking at Neptune State.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikewebb68
Could NU also lose a QB soon if he doesn't see a chance of playing time. Think they will have five QB's coming back next season, right?

Could NU also lose a QB soon if he doesn't see a chance of playing time. Think they will have five QB's coming back next season, right?

Unlikely. The lure of a degree from NU is too great. Smith may be a candidate to be a grad transfer after next year.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Unlikely. The lure of a degree from NU is too great. Smith may be a candidate to be a grad transfer after next year.

This way of thinking is supported by the recent transfers of Charlie Fessler and Nathan Fox.

The student athlete gets a degree from NU while still having the chance to start somewhere else his final year of eligibility, assuming the depth chart isn’t favorable. NU gets three years of (ideally) quality depth/special teams play while not having to worry about issues related to seniority/scholarship numbers when a younger player beats out the veteran. It’s a win-win situation.

This way of thinking is supported by the recent transfers of Charlie Fessler and Nathan Fox.

The student athlete gets a degree from NU while still having the chance to start somewhere else his final year of eligibility, assuming the depth chart isn’t favorable. NU gets three years of (ideally) quality depth/special teams play while not having to worry about issues related to seniority/scholarship numbers when a younger player beats out the veteran. It’s a win-win situation.

There has been nothing formal indicating Fox took this route as he is not in the transfer portal. He may very well still be at NU as a medical non counter.

It kind of makes you wonder why 5 stars choose to follow 5 stars at elite programs. Talk about trusting your abilities but why increase the odds of starting?

There has been nothing formal indicating Fox took this route as he is not in the transfer portal. He may very well still be at NU as a medical non counter.

Gotcha.

Thought I saw it mentioned in an article somewhere, but very well could have just read it here.

Fox officially announced he was transferring.

Part of it may be the expected change in the focus of the offense with Day as head coach versus Meyer. The read option will still be run but won’t be the primary focus. The skill sets of the QBs Recruited since Day has been with the Buckeyes: Baldwin, Miller, and how Haskins was utilized, doesn’t have as strong a fit for the skill set of Martell. Tate May have stil left with Fields coming in and Meyer was still head coach, but he would have had more To offer in that offense.

Part of it may be the expected change in the focus of the offense with Day as head coach versus Meyer. The read option will still be run but won’t be the primary focus. The skill sets of the QBs Recruited since Day has been with the Buckeyes: Baldwin, Miller, and how Haskins was utilized, doesn’t have as strong a fit for the skill set of Martell. Tate May have stil left with Fields coming in and Meyer was still head coach, but he would have had more To offer in that offense.

Tathan also just seems like an entitled, petulant asshole.

Reactions: epicbret

I would be shocked if he didn't end up at UCLA.

Would the guy be transferring in if he did not have some assurance he would be getting the start? Guys in the system just reading the tea leaves. With Clemson, once it became apparent that Lawrence was going to be the guy and be there for 3 years, guys in the system have the choice of not playing, hoping for Lawrence to get hurt or leaving and two chose that path. Why would other programs be different? Patterson transfers into Mich and now a couple highly recruited guys have no chance of seeing the field. Same with OSU. Transfer and get a chance to play or stay and spend your career on the bench. If they are good enough, why would they stay?

In the past NU has given guys a chance at different positions. But yes NU could lose a guy that would be stuck behind HJ for their time here. At the same time, transferring only makes sense if they are truly going to be able to walk in and start which is a little iffy for our backups. We do have the advantage that the degree is worth more so unless they can walk in and start someplace, it is less likely to happen.

Not only did Thorson play 53 games straight but the vast majority were not blowouts on either side, so aside from the Music City Bowl and the first 3 games this year, I don’t recall any other QB in any meaningful snaps in the past 4 years.
Oliver had to play a lot in 2 games when Thor got nicked up that one year.

Fitzphile is right, tho. Coaches act as if they will get HIV if they play the 2nd string QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT