ADVERTISEMENT

TCU-Minny

NJCat83588

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
Frogs are just playing at a different speed than the goofers...........

Boykin sure is fun to watch.

Looking at the Rivals * ratings for the last few years, and they don't look significantly different from NU. Lots of 3*s, a few 4*s and some 2*s. Yet these kids just develop into fantastic FB players. Development is pretty impressive.

Leidner is still terrible throwing the ball. Rudock not looking much better for Michigan.

I called this one correctly! Tcu by two tds! They are up by 14 right now! Boykin is very,very versatile! He can run and throw! Minny blew the game when they fumbled in the end zone! Stupid play! Minny just picked Boykin,so the game is not over yet! Minny needs to pound the sh.. Out of the ball running and break em! Likely won't happen. Who knows

I called this one correctly! Tcu by two tds! They are up by 14 right now! Boykin is very,very versatile! He can run and throw! Minny blew the game when they fumbled in the end zone! Stupid play! Minny just picked Boykin,so the game is not over yet! Minny needs to pound the sh.. Out of the ball running and break em! Likely won't happen. Who knows
Oops.

Don't you remember? We don't want a MAC coach. <sarc>

He may improve the UM program and get them to bowls regularly, but I'm gonna bet that Kill doesn't sniff a B1G title much less BCS bowl. I don't want Jerry Kill at NU, because while I think Jerry could be a decent coach that gets us to Bowls, I don't think he will win titles for us.

Urban Meyer once coached a MAC team, and so did Ara Parseghian so I recognize that to say that MAC coaches can't succeed at the highest level isn't a valid argument at all. But, I'd still rather take Barnett and Collins and guys who have national championship rings on their fingers, vs. guys who have proven themselves at a mid-major level but haven't been to the mountain top. Maybe it's part of my instinct given my profession as a venture capitalist where respect for experience is critical, but I'm a guy who believes that it's easier to get to the top of the mountain if you've been there before.

This said, Meyer was a GA with dOSU and spent time as an assistant at Notre Dame, so he knew how it was done at a big time football program.

Last edited:
I was not much impressed by TCU at all. They did not look like the number 2 team in the country. I know it is early though.

TCU is truly a good team. Minny just has a very good defense. Minny offense is once again poor. Good game.

Minny's D is as advertised. If I did not know TCU was ranked #2 and Boykin was a preseason candidate, I never would have guessed it from this game. I suppose it is game 1, and we know how OSU looked in game 1 last year. But TCU had many unforced errors including multiple drive stalling false starts, and Boykin whiffed on at least 2, maybe 3 walk in TD passes and not due to being pressured or hit. I think 2 of those resulted in zero points on those drives. Minny's defense is good enough to make them pay for those mistakes. Then TCU's defense got extremely loose on the second to last drive, enabling a very quick, very easy TD that made it closer than it should be. Mint should be higher than unranked, but TCU is not a top 10 even.

Reactions: ara-era
He may improve the UM program and get them to bowls regularly, but I'm gonna bet that Kill doesn't sniff a B1G title much less BCS bowl. I don't want Jerry Kill at NU, because while I think Jerry could be a decent coach that gets us to Bowls, I don't think he will win titles for us.

Urban Meyer once coached a MAC team, and so did Ara Parseghian so I recognize that to say that MAC coaches can't succeed at the highest level isn't a valid argument at all. But, I'd still rather take Barnett and Collins and guys who have national championship rings on their fingers, vs. guys who have proven themselves at a mid-major level but haven't been to the mountain top. Maybe it's part of my instinct given my profession as a venture capitalist where respect for experience is critical, but I'm a guy who believes that it's easier to get to the top of the mountain if you've been there before.

This said, Meyer was a GA with dOSU and spent time as an assistant at Notre Dame, so he knew how it was done at a big time football program.
and Woody Hayes, and Paul Brown and Bo Schembechler and Weeb Ewbank and Sean Payton and Randy Walker and ....

Minny's D is as advertised. If I did not know TCU was ranked #2 and Boykin was a preseason candidate, I never would have guessed it from this game. I suppose it is game 1, and we know how OSU looked in game 1 last year. But TCU had many unforced errors including multiple drive stalling false starts, and Boykin whiffed on at least 2, maybe 3 walk in TD passes and not due to being pressured or hit. I think 2 of those resulted in zero points on those drives. Minny's defense is good enough to make them pay for those mistakes. Then TCU's defense got extremely loose on the second to last drive, enabling a very quick, very easy TD that made it closer than it should be. Mint should be higher than unranked, but TCU is not a top 10 even.

TCU returned essentially their entire offense from last season, so there is no excuse for poor performance. Give credit to the Minny D. But TCU lost a lot of starters on defense, and had 2 top returning defenders injured, so the inability for Minny to generate much offense should be a concern to them. TCU started a true freshman MLB, a 3* from Texas. After last nights performance TCU should drop and Minny rise in polls, for whatever polls are worth after game 1 of a 12 game season.

Would you have said Ohio State was a national championship team after the Virginia Tech game last year? It's a little early in the season to tell who is top-drawer and who isn't.

Would you have said Ohio State was a national championship team after the Virginia Tech game last year? It's a little early in the season to tell who is top-drawer and who isn't.

Well, OSU had to replace their QB and was building a new OL. TCU returned their entire offense yet struggled against a team they thumped the year before, with the leading Heisman candidate at QB. Very strange.

Minnesota's entire game plan (and program, really) is built around keeping games close and capitalizing on turnovers. They do that with a stout defense and solid run game, but a nearly complete lack of a pass game will limit their ability to consistently beat top-notch teams.

Minnesota's entire game plan (and program, really) is built around keeping games close and capitalizing on turnovers. They do that with a stout defense and solid run game, but a nearly complete lack of a pass game will limit their ability to consistently beat top-notch teams.

Substitute "Northwestern" for "Minnesota" and the statement is also true.......

Substitute "Northwestern" for "Minnesota" and the statement is also true.......

Yeah, no. That might be our best chance to be competitive this year, but hasn't been our historical blueprint under Fitz.

Last edited:

Well, I specifically said as much in the middle of my post. But OSU had lost their Heisman QB for the season just before that (I think). TCU has a senior Heisman hopeful QB who was making unforced errors, and their O as a whole just did not look very dynamic for being such a veteran squad.

Well, I specifically said as much in the middle of my post. But OSU had lost their Heisman QB for the season just before that (I think). TCU has a senior Heisman hopeful QB who was making unforced errors, and their O as a whole just did not look very dynamic for being such a veteran squad.

Yes, except their QB wasn't the only thing that looked shaky that game. Their offensive line had a terrible game.

Looking at the Rivals * ratings for the last few years, and they don't look significantly different from NU. Lots of 3*s, a few 4*s and some 2*s. Yet these kids just develop into fantastic FB players. Development is pretty impressive.
They have access to one of the best recruiting areas in TX. Have to believe that even though there are a lot of high ranked guys there, also a lot underrated.

and Woody Hayes, and Paul Brown and Bo Schembechler and Weeb Ewbank and Sean Payton and Randy Walker and ....
The advantage of getting a HC out of the MAC is that they have been a HC and know what it entails. They still need some power 5 experience and if they have none prior to becoming a Power 5 HC, then it might take some time to get their feet under them. That said, plenty of good HCs come out of the MAC and similar conferences.

TCU returned essentially their entire offense from last season, so there is no excuse for poor performance. Give credit to the Minny D. But TCU lost a lot of starters on defense, and had 2 top returning defenders injured, so the inability for Minny to generate much offense should be a concern to them. TCU started a true freshman MLB, a 3* from Texas. After last nights performance TCU should drop and Minny rise in polls, for whatever polls are worth after game 1 of a 12 game season.

Yes the offense is a work in progress. What most didn't know is one O lineman was out and the other(who left the game) just had his knee scoped about a week and a half ago. The O line is a little thin right now. Hopefully the line will improve this season.

TCU is a very good team that beat us.

The Minnesota O line had issues the whole game and that started when the 39 game starter Josh Campion was ruled out for concussion effects, and Ben Lauer the 2012 starting RT looked shaky and had to be pulled after giving up the crucial sack/ fumble. He is still not physically sound and should not have been on the field. The OL is deep, but did not respond that well. The TCU D line was tough and the young LB group played well. Minnesota will bounce back and show some passing game ability this year.

The TCU D took advantage and the running game was not great, nor was the pass protection. Despite that Minnesota lost by 6 to the #2 team in the country. The QB was terrible and the young WR group did not play well., but I would not write off Minnesota after losing to #2 TCU by six.

The crowd was very loud and for once the 11K student section was full, so It was a good sign for the rest of the year.

Getting stout play in the trenches is more than half the battle - esp. for the B1G West.

Kill just needs to add a couple more skill players on O and/or get a QB who is more than a game manager.

As already stated, Minny was missing one starter on the O-line and another was playing hurt until he left the game (apparently, depth is an issue on the O-line for Minny).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT