ADVERTISEMENT

TDN's take on Thorson

Katatonic

Oct 23, 2004
BEST TRAIT – Rhythm Throws

WORST TRAIT – Vertical Ball Placement

RED FLAGS – None

Thorson has the ability to hit rhythm throws and illustrates a quick trigger to be proficient in a west coast scheme that features timing throws. In terms of working his progressions, ball placement, arm strength and handling pressure, Thorson is a limited prospect which inhibits the notion that he has starter potential. By year three, Thorson could be a No. 2 quarterback but major growth is needed.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-clayton-thorson/

Hit the link for the more-in-depth analysis.

Can't say that I disagree w/ most of it.

CT is still pretty raw and needs more molding; hence, my stating that he needs to go to the right system/coaching staff.

On a side note, Hartage makes TDN's All-Shrine team.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/20/tdn-2019-all-shrine-team/

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
BEST TRAIT – Rhythm Throws

WORST TRAIT – Vertical Ball Placement

RED FLAGS – None

Thorson has the ability to hit rhythm throws and illustrates a quick trigger to be proficient in a west coast scheme that features timing throws. In terms of working his progressions, ball placement, arm strength and handling pressure, Thorson is a limited prospect which inhibits the notion that he has starter potential. By year three, Thorson could be a No. 2 quarterback but major growth is needed.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-clayton-thorson/

Hit the link for the more-in-depth analysis.

Can't say that I disagree w/ most of it.

CT is still pretty raw and needs more molding; hence, my stating that he needs to go to the right system/coaching staff.

On a side note, Hartage makes TDN's All-Shrine team.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/20/tdn-2019-all-shrine-team/
More draft analysis

“Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the 'season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.”

Oh wait, that was for Tom Brady.

More draft analysis

“Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the 'season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.”

Oh my god!! Clayton is going to win 5 SuperBowls!!!

More draft analysis

Oh my god!! Clayton is going to win 5 SuperBowls!!!
I’ll settle for one.

More draft analysis

I guess we should hope for negative analysis on all of our players since Tom Brady was underestimated.

More draft analysis

I guess we should hope for negative analysis on all of our players since Tom Brady was underestimated.
False.

More draft analysis

Note how this is pretty much entirely about Brady's physical attributes and doesn't go into the more cerebral aspects of playing the position (which is something too many FO's overlook).

Reactions: RhabdoWildcat
Jim Nagy is a former NFL Scout and now the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl. His job is to speak with NFL folks all year long about players and then get as many of the top players to come to Mobile for the Senior Bowl. If he says NFL teams see Thorson as no worse than a 3rd rounder, then there is a lot of credibility behind that projection. I must say I am a bit surprised he ie getting that kind of projection this early in the post season evaluation process. I figured he would get pushed up into that draft range, but it would happen after they saw Clayton at the Combine, the Pro day workout and private workouts. I fully expect Thorson to build more draft momentum after these post season events.

Jim Nagy is a former NFL Scout and now the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl. His job is to speak with NFL folks all year long about players and then get as many of the top players to come to Mobile for the Senior Bowl. If he says NFL teams see Thorson as no worse than a 3rd rounder, then there is a lot of credibility behind that projection. I must say I am a bit surprised he ie getting that kind of projection this early in the post season evaluation process. I figured he would get pushed up into that draft range, but it would happen after they saw Clayton at the Combine, the Pro day workout and private workouts. I fully expect Thorson to build more draft momentum after these post season events.
There is very little incentive for executives to be truthful when speaking with media (or media-adjacent) types.

There is very little incentive for executives to be truthful when speaking with media (or media-adjacent) types.

When Jim Nagy gets ten anonymous opinions from NFL executives about a player that are all consistent, that is not an attempt at misdirection, that is a consensus. If they were attempting to misdirect, they would be speaking to Adam Schefter and they would be allowing him to name the team.

I truly believe you’re all misinterpreting the quote. No team having “less than a third round grade on him” means they are predicting rounds 3 and on, NOT rounds 1 thru 3.

I really hope I’m wrong. Thorson being taken higher would be great for the program.

But I don’t think I am.

Last edited:
I truly believe you’re all misinterpreting the quote. No team having “less than a third round grade on him” means they are predicting rounds 3 and on, NOT rounds 1 thru 3.

I really hope I’m wrong. Thorson being taken higher would be great for the program.

But I don’t think I am.

You’re wrong.

But I don’t think I am.

If they were all predicting a 3rd round grade, the words “less than” would not have been used. I interpret this to mean that some have him as a 3rd rounder and at least one team or more have him as better than a 3rd rounder. I still say 2nd is his best case scenario and 5th round is his worst. The post season evaluation/performance will drive which end of that spectrum he ends up on. I am fairly confident in reiterating that all the chicken littles on this board who predicted he would go undrafted or be a 7th round pick are once again being proven incorrect. Shocker!

If they were all predicting a 3rd round grade, the words “less than” would not have been used. I interpret this to mean that some have him as a 3rd rounder and at least one team or more have him as better than a 3rd rounder. I still say 2nd is his best case scenario and 5th round is his worst. The post season evaluation/performance will drive which end of that spectrum he ends up on. I am fairly confident in reiterating that all the chicken littles on this board who predicted he would go undrafted or be a 7th round pick are once again being proven incorrect. Shocker!
The draft stock is falling. The draft stock is falling. (Idk why I found that so humorous with the chicken little comment)

Reactions: corbi296
Wouldn't be surprised if CT goes the 2nd day; all it takes is one team.

A purportedly weak QB class helps.

Daniel Jones supposedly got a 1st rnd grade, so CT going in rnd 3 doesn't seem like a stretch (thinking anywhere from 3rd to 5th).

Wouldn't be surprised if CT goes the 2nd day; all it takes is one team.

A purportedly weak QB class helps.

Daniel Jones supposedly got a 1st rnd grade, so CT going in rnd 3 doesn't seem like a stretch (thinking anywhere from 3rd to 5th).

I have seen some mocks showing Daniel Jones as the second QB taken behind Haskins. Overall a Top 10 pick. I like Jones but if he is a to 10 pick then that tells you a bit about the top end of this QB class.

I have seen some mocks showing Daniel Jones as the second QB taken behind Haskins. Overall a Top 10 pick. I like Jones but if he is a to 10 pick then that tells you a bit about the top end of this QB class.
That if you lead your team to a win over the Cats, you must be NFL caliber? :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT