ADVERTISEMENT

Tempo

We move the ball when we play with tempo. We do not when we do not.

No clue why we don’t stick with it.

Purdue played a lot more zone coverage in the 2nd quarter. I think Smith struggles recognizing zone coverages and accurately zipping the ball into tight windows. The post pass to Holman which almost got picked by their safety was a misread by him. He did not see the safety at all on that play. His best looking completions were against man coverage.

Purdue played a lot more zone coverage in the 2nd quarter. I think Smith struggles finding the open man and accurately zipping the ball into tight windows.

...and tempo simplifies defensive calls.

But agree. Smith is really struggling to see underneath coverage and doesn’t have the pure arm strength to jam the ball in there when he needs to.

We move the ball when we play with tempo. We do not when we do not.

No clue why we don’t stick with it.

isnt the downside there that if you’re NOT successful, you’ve given the defense no time to rest whatsoever, and you just made a faster three and out.

isnt the downside there that if you’re NOT successful, you’ve given the defense no time to rest whatsoever, and you just made a faster three and out.

Yes, but it’s the only context in which we have actually moved the ball. Double-edged sword.

If I’m playing defense, I’d rather play more snaps and have my offense actually score points. As a defender, 4th quarter fatigue sets in more if your offense has stunk (at a slow pace) for 3.5 quarters than if your offense has shown it can actually move the ball a bit and you’ve played a few more snaps with less time between series.

If I’m playing defense, I’d rather play more snaps and have my offense actually score points. As a defender, 4th quarter fatigue sets in more if your offense has stunk (at a slow pace) for 3.5 quarters than if your offense has shown it can actually move the ball a bit and you’ve played a few more snaps with less time between series.

Prescient, as it turns out.

...and tempo simplifies defensive calls.

But agree. Smith is really struggling to see underneath coverage and doesn’t have the pure arm strength to jam the ball in there when he needs to.
He stares down his receivers as well. He has time to check down other receivers but does not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT