ADVERTISEMENT

Tex Winter died today.

Alan Smithee

Aug 13, 2002
Before my time at NU, but what a career overall.

In other news, Mike DeCourcy reported that Ryan Taylor had a huge practice today.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Very sorry to hear that. Tex was coaching the Cats when I was covering them for the Daily. Good guy, easy to talk to, and as he proved both in college and later in the NBA, a heckuva basketball mind.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
my Tex Winter Story
Prior coming to NU Tex had coached the KSU Wildcats- We were so underfunded that one of Tex's first duties was to drive to Lawrence where he purchased their old floor and installed it on the dirt in McGaw. In spite of NU's indifference he did produce some competitive teams and great players - Billy McKinney comes to mind.
I think he left us to go to Long Beach State where he probably got a higher salary and easier recruitment.
Mesa- still alive but rarely kicking
Go Cats

I was a broadcaster for the Cats for his first year and will always remember having dinner with him the night before the first game of the season at Ohio University. He was bemoaning the state of the team and how it was likely to affect the superb record he had at K-State. The next day, we were down early and he put in McKinney who was a true Frosh. Billy made his first five shots and NU came back to win that game and he proceeded to make the Cats respectable during the Winter era (Memorably, we beat Kentucky for the first and only time during his regime). RIP, Tex!

My Tex W highlight was the time he was trying to jump up and yell at the refs (yes, B1G refs sucked just as much back then) when his chair went over backwards off the elevated McGaw Hall floor, rolled to his feet, waving his arms and screaming at the zebras. Classic

Reactions: Hungry Jack
My Tex W highlight was the time he was trying to jump up and yell at the refs (yes, B1G refs sucked just as much back then) when his chair went over backwards off the elevated McGaw Hall floor, rolled to his feet, waving his arms and screaming at the zebras. Classic
I remember one of his "classic" moves... bringing the Kansas St. BB floor to Evanston.

This isn't an NU story, but this Tex Winter line is reported by the Tribune today as a favorite of Fred Hoiberg.

"We've got certain guys not running the offense out here. I'm not going to mention names, but his initials are Corey Benjamin."

Reactions: olshin
Two favorite memories of Tex at NU:

First, after he fell off his chair arguing a call (see above), he used to just sit with his legs crossed and give the officials a dismissive wave with his hand.

Second, reporters asked him about Jay Vincent at MSU, and Tex replied something like "We tried to recruit him, but he could barely drool, much less talk." That resulted in a 3 game suspension by the Big Ten commissioner.

KATankerous (previously MizzouCat)

Two favorite memories of Tex at NU:

First, after he fell off his chair arguing a call (see above), he used to just sit with his legs crossed and give the officials a dismissive wave with his hand.

Second, reporters asked him about Jay Vincent at MSU, and Tex replied something like "We tried to recruit him, but he could barely drool, much less talk." That resulted in a 3 game suspension by the Big Ten commissioner.

KATankerous (previously MizzouCat)
The second anecdote is hilarious!!

Reactions: Inovacat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT