ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks for the Memories of Being a Football Season Ticket Holder

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
I had a 25 year run as a STH and it sure was a blast. Still a wildcat fan but there just isn't any need to renew. It has nothing to do with the losses because we have had alot of those over the years. And I'm sure we will get back to winning.

But most of the reason why I kept my ST was because of parking. But they keep switching the priority and tiers of how to gain a West Lot Pass.
I'm sure the ticket office has their reasons. I get it. But they bumped most of our tailgate out of the west lot because a person needed to drop $2,500 just to get in it. It simply isn't worth that. For that reason, I'll be picking up $5 tickets or free tickets off of stubhub or tickpick or a buddy, for whichever games I select to go to at Ryan Field. And no matter what the case, it won't be able the seat but the tailgate.

I will however attend a few away games that make sense. It's always fun to go to the away games and meet up with the usual cat fans.

My hope in basketball is at an all time low. Even with Carmody, it was exciting. I hope we work things out because I'm still interested in supporting the basketball team, even though the prices are incredibly overpriced when adding in the monster yearly donations.

As an aside, I can't deny that the high tech TV I have at home may have a bit to do with this on the cold, rainy, busy, or lazy days when I just want to lay on the couch with some wings and beer. Plus it is free. Just doesn't make much sense to go to a game if it isn't about community.

Go Cats!

Looking at these new TV's and it's going to be hard for me to attend any games, college or pro. Without tailgating, it's much more exciting at home with a few friends. We move the tailgate to a residence.

Reactions: Titanium999
Been attending games since 78 had season tickets through the the 80's work took me the the Northern Plains for a few years resumed season attendance in 94 been to every home game since and I can not remember being less enthused about Wildcat future than now.

Been attending games since 78 had season tickets through the the 80's work took me the the Northern Plains for a few years resumed season attendance in 94 been to every home game since and I can not remember being less enthused about Wildcat future than now.
The main reasons for my discouragement are a) the swiftness and totality of collapse. First to worst b). No real end in sight. McCall is like Trump, many want him gone, but he ain't going anywhere. Don't expect PF to do much except talk about better preparation and execution. Hunter, unfortunately is a sideshow / smokescreen. If he hadn't come here, there would be no distractions, just "we suck".

Please, nerdy Cats fans, find me the passage in War and Peace where the stubborn German generals talked about how the battle plan was perfect, it was just lacking in execution. Maybe we send that to Teddy.

Looking at these new TV's and it's going to be hard for me to attend any games, college or pro. Without tailgating, it's much more exciting at home with a few friends. We move the tailgate to a residence.
Ive actually met you Turk. Good food at the tailgate and I bummed beer off you.
But your reasoning for not renewing "needs serious work".
I believe one gets a west lot pass with a $600 donation, not $2,500.

Reactions: Ch23701
Sorry but you do not get a west lot pass with a $600 "donation" and I can verify that. I had season tickets since 1996 and my family had them in the 60's and 70's. Gave them up this season and the main reason was not being able to tailgate in the west lot. One year in the south golf course lot and not knowing anyone, then parking on the street and walking to the game with little or no time to tailgate with friends. Sure there were other circumstances involved nothing to do with NU, like moving 50 miles further away and having 3 of my tailgating friends pass away. Having said that, I still might attend a few games, although none this season but doubt very much if I would ever consider buying season tickets again.

Really not letting this whole ruse go, are you Turk?

I am glad you will still be going to some games. That is good news. I have never been into the tailgating scene, so the policy changes do not really affect me. Yet I understand how important the old west-lot environment was to many fans. When things are going badly on the field, it is good to have friends to commiserate with.

I had high hope at the start of the season, but they have come crashing down. I was planning on going to a bowl game this year, and I have not been to one since 2005. Now, that will have wait for next year.

I am glad you will still be going to some games. That is good news. I have never been into the tailgating scene, so the policy changes do not really affect me. Yet I understand how important the old west-lot environment was to many fans. When things are going badly on the field, it is good to have friends to commiserate with.

I had high hope at the start of the season, but they have come crashing down. I was planning on going to a bowl game this year, and I have not been to one since 2005. Now, that will have wait for next year.

I think you'll have to wait considerably longer for another bowl, sadly. I'm an STH, and will not be renewing. The ineptitude in the program in intolerable.

Reactions: IGNORE

I had no intention of posting until you showed up. Oh my goodness, you’re still alive! Seems like I haven’t heard from you in ages. I certainly hope that all is well with you. Give my fondest regards to your wife.

Wish I could be wealthier to be a STH and go to games. Wouldn't want to go back to that corrupt state. Rodentville isn't much better!

I think you'll have to wait considerably longer for another bowl, sadly. I'm an STH, and will not be renewing. The ineptitude in the program in intolerable.
seriously? you are not even a year away from the BIG10 championship game and 4 consecutive Bowl wins....your money ....but really...seems like some Cat Fans are 300 count in a pair of jeans.

seriously? you are not even a year away from the BIG10 championship game and 4 consecutive Bowl wins....your money ....but really...seems like some Cat Fans are 300 count in a pair of jeans.
My issue and I believe the issue with many fans is not the 2-8 record, but the inability to see any improvement on one side of the ball. I have been to every home game this year, like I do every year, but I am considering finding something better to do next year. However, make the one change that I believe is so sorely needed, and I will be gladly pony up my grand for 2 tickets and a parking spot. I’ll forget about this season very quickly. People can joke that their will only be a handful of folks dropping their ST’s, but I would disagree. Don’t make a change and we will find out. Non alum like myself aren’t locked into being a NU supporter for life. I could save the money/time and just watch on the idiot box. This decision is a crossroads for many. Make a change, and my enthusiasm for the product would go up 10 fold.

My issue and I believe the issue with many fans is not the 2-8 record, but the inability to see any improvement on one side of the ball. I have been to every home game this year, like I do every year, but I am considering finding something better to do next year. However, make the one change that I believe is so sorely needed, and I will be gladly pony up my grand for 2 tickets and a parking spot. I’ll forget about this season very quickly. People can joke that their will only be a handful of folks dropping their ST’s, but I would disagree. Don’t make a change and we will find out. Non alum like myself aren’t locked into being a NU supporter for life. I could save the money/time and just watch on the idiot box. This decision is a crossroads for many. Make a change, and my enthusiasm for the product would go up 10 fold.
PPD, I haven't worn the sweatshirt once this year. The fault is mine. I accept responsibility for my actions.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Interesting to see if those dropping their ST's will next year be complaining about not being able to get tix for the Wrigley game.

Reactions: phatcat
I had no intention of posting until you showed up. Oh my goodness, you’re still alive! Seems like I haven’t heard from you in ages. I certainly hope that all is well with you. Give my fondest regards to your wife.
All is well with Mrs. Astro and me. Thank you.

I post very little these days, but I still read most of the stuff that appears on this board. The arguments never seem to change, and I have gotten tired of participating in them. I recall how back in 2002 virtually the entire message board was in favor of firing Randy Walker. At the time, in the heat of the moment, it seemed justified, but in that case we were wrong. RW got the team to a bowl in 2003 and has become an iconic figure in Northwestern football lore. The next target for our wrath was Jerry Brown, the defensive backs coach. That went on for years, until one day we noticed that his players were actually, well, playing pretty good. Now, I'm not saying that any of this applies to Mick McCall, just pointing out that fans' opinions of who to fire are often wrong. The real solutions are usually more complicated than that.

I had a 25 year run as a STH and it sure was a blast. Still a wildcat fan but there just isn't any need to renew. It has nothing to do with the losses because we have had alot of those over the years. And I'm sure we will get back to winning.

But most of the reason why I kept my ST was because of parking. But they keep switching the priority and tiers of how to gain a West Lot Pass.
I'm sure the ticket office has their reasons. I get it. But they bumped most of our tailgate out of the west lot because a person needed to drop $2,500 just to get in it. It simply isn't worth that. For that reason, I'll be picking up $5 tickets or free tickets off of stubhub or tickpick or a buddy, for whichever games I select to go to at Ryan Field. And no matter what the case, it won't be able the seat but the tailgate.

I will however attend a few away games that make sense. It's always fun to go to the away games and meet up with the usual cat fans.

My hope in basketball is at an all time low. Even with Carmody, it was exciting. I hope we work things out because I'm still interested in supporting the basketball team, even though the prices are incredibly overpriced when adding in the monster yearly donations.

As an aside, I can't deny that the high tech TV I have at home may have a bit to do with this on the cold, rainy, busy, or lazy days when I just want to lay on the couch with some wings and beer. Plus it is free. Just doesn't make much sense to go to a game if it isn't about community.

Go Cats!
With the donations you have made to BB, you should have a lot of points. If so I believe the donation is $600 but for guys like me, you are correct that it would be $2500. Many of your TG guys are now in SGL so there is that. Keep in touch

Not true.
If you have enough points, it would be $600 but this year it was almost 1400, up from a little under 900 last year. But next year they will likely have a problem as they have 6 home games and only 3 conference with one reasonable draw in NEB. It is a sucky home schedule as is is three nothing OOC games and IL and MD besides NEB as WIS will be at Wrigley. It would suck to pay $2500 just to be able to buy parking in West lot with that schedule and I would guess a lot will drop out opening up spots.

Said after just completing the most successful 4 year run in history (or at least since the 40s. You jump off quick

If you have enough points, it would be $600 but this year it was almost 1400, up from a little under 900 last year. But next year they will likely have a problem as they have 6 home games and only 3 conference with one reasonable draw in NEB. It is a sucky home schedule as is is three nothing OOC games and IL and MD besides NEB as WIS will be at Wrigley. It would suck to pay $2500 just to be able to buy parking in West lot with that schedule and I would guess a lot will drop out opening up spots.

Just a guess but thinking $2500 will be required to order extras for Wrigley game.

Just a guess but thinking $2500 will be required to order extras for Wrigley game.
Tickets usually are not related to the donations. More with years of ST holding etc. Likely they will allow people to get an extra ticked for each ST they hold as they did with OSU And if the number of ST holders drops as much as many here think, it may be more. Tickets will be expensive but donations they seem to reserve for parking

23 years in the East Lot. One year we got stuck on the golf course and the emotional impact was surprisingly big. Keeping the tickets but the fan outreach has not been great. We will see my first basketball game Friday. It is a low point. We have the right coaches but this is a year of frustration. I have been commuting in for the entire time crashing in my brothers spare room on Chicago excursions. He just got married so my crash pad is gone after thus year. Dark Times indeed.

23 years in the East Lot. One year we got stuck on the golf course and the emotional impact was surprisingly big. Keeping the tickets but the fan outreach has not been great. We will see my first basketball game Friday. It is a low point. We have the right coaches but this is a year of frustration. I have been commuting in for the entire time crashing in my brothers spare room on Chicago excursions. He just got married so my crash pad is gone after thus year. Dark Times indeed.

What? First basketball game? You're in for a treat.

Tickets usually are not related to the donations. More with years of ST holding etc. Likely they will allow people to get an extra ticked for each ST they hold as they did with OSU And if the number of ST holders drops as much as many here think, it may be more. Tickets will be expensive but donations they seem to reserve for parking
Not true. Its generally all about the points now.

Yeah, seriously. The product on the field is atrocious and wait until those clowns from Minny and Illinois take us apart. I'm not even going to go to the Minny game because I have to clean out my garage. I went to every home game when I was an undergraduate and saw us win three games in four years for free. I'm not paying to watch losing football.

At least the Crusaders are in the state semis.

Go Cats!
My group of friends and I have been tailgating in the West Lot for every home game since 2012.

We don’t donate a dollar.

You’d be surprised at how cost effective it is to buy the passes from the secondary market relative to donating $2500.

We’ve never spent more than $1000 total on passes and that includes last season with some marquee games (ND, Michigan and Wisconsin).

Why? Pick them up the day of the game. Its going to be a sea of Wisconsin red.

Mobile tickets on the seconday makes the university 3x more money due to dynamic pricing. Unless there is a poor schedule, in which case a season ticket holder will lesson risk for a university

Don't make me laugh. I've been a Cat fan since 1969 (when I was 11) and attending games since I was a freshman in 1976. Never missed a home game and travelled to some away game. My bona fides are legitimate, the team is awful, and I'll save my money next year. Oh, yeah, I was President of my fraternity alumni board for 20 years and among other things we donated two fully endowed football scholarships. No credit to me for that. Piffle.

IMO, the Athletic Department is making a big mistake by alienating long time supporters. I am not a long time financial supporter, but I have contributed significantly since shortly after Walker died and Fitz took over and demonstrated that he had coach potential. It is now clear to me that my financial support is no longer appreciated, unless I go along with their extortion to get more and more for the same product. I'm not done supporting the Cat's in spirit, but I am done paying to support an offense that has become as stale as last month's white bread. How could this possibly happen under a coach as gung-ho as Fitz? Maybe he's lost the ho and is left with the gung.

Last edited:
My group of friends and I have been tailgating in the West Lot for every home game since 2012.

We don’t donate a dollar.

You’d be surprised at how cost effective it is to buy the passes from the secondary market relative to donating $2500.

We’ve never spent more than $1000 total on passes and that includes last season with some marquee games (ND, Michigan and Wisconsin).
That’s why it’s such bullshit. The money grab from the athletic department is ridiculous. Reward loyalty and commitment not just dollar bills.

Reactions: willycat
Don't make me laugh. I've been a Cat fan since 1969 (when I was 11) and attending games since I was a freshman in 1976. Never missed a home game and travelled to some away game. My bona fides are legitimate, the team is awful, and I'll save my money next year. Oh, yeah, I was President of my fraternity alumni board for 20 years and among other things we donated two fully endowed football scholarships. No credit to me for that. Piffle.
Are you the guy that ran into me after the OSU game a few years back?

That’s why it’s such bullshit. The money grab from the athletic department is ridiculous. Reward loyalty and commitment not just dollar bills.
They started this a number of years ago when they first started changing priority points system to reduce the value of long term and increase the value of donations. Each iteration goes farther in that direction.

They started this a number of years ago when they first started changing priority points system to reduce the value of long term and increase the value of donations. Each iteration goes farther in that direction.
None of us like that, but I would guess that's probably more or less in line with what most other schools do. :rolleyes:

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT