ADVERTISEMENT

That's all right ... that's okay ...

I just threw a marshmallow at the screen.

My family didn't get our season tickets until 1996 (didn't have to before then). My Dad (1970 graduate) and I went to games, bought endzone seats and stood in the student section with the students pretty much every time we went. Throwing marshmallows at games was how I grew up going to games. Since I am not nearly smart enough to go to Northwestern, it's also the closest I ever was to being a Northwestern student...

In the early 90's (for some reason, I think it was that 22-21 win over BC in '93), while doing the normal throwing of marshmallows, I landed one directly in an NUMB member's tuba. Not even on purpose. One of the greatest accomplishments of my life (I really need to accomplish more).

My family didn't get our season tickets until 1996 (didn't have to before then). My Dad (1970 graduate) and I went to games, bought endzone seats and stood in the student section with the students pretty much every time we went. Throwing marshmallows at games was how I grew up going to games. Since I am not nearly smart enough to go to Northwestern, it's also the closest I ever was to being a Northwestern student...

In the early 90's (for some reason, I think it was that 22-21 win over BC in '93), while doing the normal throwing of marshmallows, I landed one directly in an NUMB member's tuba. Not even on purpose. One of the greatest accomplishments of my life (I really need to accomplish more).
As a fairly good trumpet player (and son of a music teacher), looking back I'm surprised I never did join NUMB. It's possible that I'd been blacklisted dating back to when I was eight years old, for precisely the same reason.

I tried for at least 4 years to hit the open end of the tuba with a marshmallow. Never succeeded.

When I was a student at NU 87-91, we used to mostly get drunk/eat Buffalo Joe's in the parking lot when games were going on. My frosh year, I remember sneaking a keg into the student section as well! No joke! Things were different back then.... I think they banned to marshmallows a long time ago as well. I had season tickets 93'-2015'. My Dad and I went to almost every game during that span. He died in 15' and my wife won't go to games with me. Even if she was willing, she works almost every Sat now. I miss going to games. Sad. I watch every game on TV now.

As a NUMBalum, I can tell you that marshmallows were the bane of NUMB's existence. They ended up stuck to uniform pants, hats, warmers, everything. I have no idea how you get a marshmallow out of a sousaphone.

As a NUMBalum, I can tell you that marshmallows were the bane of NUMB's existence. They ended up stuck to uniform pants, hats, warmers, everything. I have no idea how you get a marshmallow out of a sousaphone.
If all else fails, toss in some graham crackers and Hershey bars too.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT