ADVERTISEMENT

The award-winning Northwestern Undertones.

Is that the group linked to President Schill's Christmas message? Haven't had a chance to click on it yet. Speaking of the University President, I was pleased to see his recent statement in support of our Jewish students in contrast to what some of the Ivy League Presidents have been saying.

Is that the group linked to President Schill's Christmas message? Haven't had a chance to click on it yet. Speaking of the University President, I was pleased to see his recent statement in support of our Jewish students in contrast to what some of the Ivy League Presidents have been saying.
Yes.

I had no idea this a cappella group existed. Perhaps they were named after NU's football team, the Underdogs?
I also saw them in the message from the president. FWIW, relating to vocalists, I saw Manhattan Transfer perform last night at our new outdoor amphitheater at UC San Diego. They are on their final tour celebrating their 50 years performing. This was the next to last road stop, there were references being “too old” for touring on the road as the members are all 70+ now. It was a great concert with a big band backing them up for most of their songs. It was a cool evening in many ways- even in sunny San Diego it gets cool in the evenings. “Birdland” is still one of my favorite numbers and is steeped in historical jazz references and was a great closing number for the group.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
How did their voices hold up? I have gone to a few of the oldies concerts and the voices just aren't the same. I haven't listened to them in many, many years. Looking them up in the record stack now (Yes. I have the vinyl.). Great, great group.

They were fine. They struggled with the cold a little and their age definitely impacted their voices. It was still great to see them live again. I had seen them in concert a few times in the past though I think it has been 15-20 years. I think when you go to see these performances by older musicians you naturally take their age into consideration, that nostalgia is a prime factor for attending and you can’t expect the same level of performance as when they were younger.

Reactions: techtim72
I also saw them in the message from the president. FWIW, relating to vocalists, I saw Manhattan Transfer perform last night at our new outdoor amphitheater at UC San Diego. They are on their final tour celebrating their 50 years performing. This was the next to last road stop, there were references being “too old” for touring on the road as the members are all 70+ now. It was a great concert with a big band backing them up for most of their songs. It was a cool evening in many ways- even in sunny San Diego it gets cool in the evenings. “Birdland” is still one of my favorite numbers and is steeped in historical jazz references and was a great closing number for the group.
It is always sad to see an ongoing tradition come to an end. Here in Alaska we are seeing our final Christmas Gingerbread Village creation after 45 years:

1_(197).jpg

1_(194).jpg

1_(196).jpg

Visitors arrive to enjoy the now completed Christmas Gingerbread Village:
cpv7h4rssea2.jpg

1_(171).jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT