ADVERTISEMENT

The big game today for the championship!

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
The day is here I was never expecting to see - the Aztecs vying for the National Championship! Thanks to other board members letting me ramble on these past weeks about things San Diego. Alaska and I both share connections to San Diego so he esp understands that March Madness has been especially crazy this year for those of us with ties to SDSU and the city.

FWIW- I was a long-time Aztec season ticket holder when Steve Fisher first arrived and Viejas Arena was built. I can also remember prior to that when Tony Gwynn was an outstanding guard for the Aztecs way back in the day (he was actually an NBA draftee.) So this has been a remarkable journey for the Aztecs and for me as a long time fan. (Our local NU club members were also very excited about the Aztecs at our club meeting last week.)

I remember Bob Hurley bringing his St. Anthony (NJ) team to San Diego for the holiday tournament years ago at Torrey Pines HS close by to where I live. They were always a top team in the national division and it was always a fun experience watching top talent bound for college compete in this tournament. It’s possible that son and UConn coach Dan Hurley was at the tournament at some time but dad Bob was a huge figure that attracted large crowds to these HS tournament games.

This event is right up there for me with other major sports experiences I’ve had- the NU vs USC Rose Bowl, the Holiday Bowl victory, the Padres run to the World Series vs NY Yankees and the 2000 UM comeback and win with the spread offense wearing down UM’s defense.

The Aztecs are heavy underdogs against UConn. I remember all the times NU was never expected to win only to overcome the odds. I think the mindset of “Expect Victory” under GB was transformative for NU sports. The Aztecs basketball program has emerged as a solid program under Fisher and has elevated to top level under Dutch. Regardless of the outcome today the Aztecs run for the title has electrified the community around the team.
Go Aztecs!

Last edited:
I'm rooting for them also, at least in part because of fans like you as well, but also because our first round victim, Boise Sate, beat SDSU during the regular season. Obviously, this doesn't detract from the Aztecs great season, but it enhances NU's reputation a bit also. ;)

Sorry WCW, but am pulling for my Huskies tonight.

Is it just me or is there an unbelievable amount of traveling and carries not being called?

Reactions: drewjin
Except UConn is a better second half team usually because their depth wears teams down
Barkley’s comment about SDS not being able to play any worse is way off base. UCONN had everything to do with their performance. That will continue in the second half.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
SDSU gave them the toughest challenge, but UConn is just so talented. What a fun tournament!! Hanging banner #5!!

Reactions: SDakaGordie
I’m back from watching the game with other Aztec fans. Congrats to UConn, they didn’t fold when the Aztecs made their 2nd half run. The game was closer than indicated by the final score. UConn was consistent thruout the tournament and deserved the crown.

So proud of the Aztecs and how far they advanced thru the tournament. The program has been elevated to a high level that they should be a factor for years to come. Congrats to all the Aztec players, coaches and fans for a memorable season and playing tough game after game to make it to the championship.
Go Aztecs! (I hope to see both the Aztecs and the Cats compete in the Big Dance next year!)

Nice and classy post by you WCW. Nothing to be ashamed of to be the runner up in the Dance. I think you put it well. Overall, UConn just flat out was better. Last night and throughout the tourney. That having been said, wow, SDSU. gritty! Needed to make a three here or there, but then, had they done that, damn, almost could have stole one.

Go Cats!

We had it down to 60-55 with 5 min left but UConn responded with a 3 and we missed some crucial shots and our momentum deflated after that. It was a tough game but our offense had too many long scoring droughts to keep us in the game. Both teams were physical but at the end UConn had a superior offense that we couldn’t contain and their defense was effective to shut down our not so great offense.

I like how we came back to make it a game but UConn was just too strong for us to sustain it.

As others have observed, the new normal seems to be trending towards emphasis utilizing the transfer portal to be competitive by grabbing older, experienced and proven players compared to younger recruits from hs. I wonder what BigTen teams need to do to be more competitive to allow them to go deeper. It was rather shocking to see how far Cinderella teams were able to advance this year and how poorly BT teams performed (Purdue). I think SDSU will be able to reload and compete. Can NU also utilize the portal as well to maintain the turnaround success the Cats had this year. I don’t know of any other program that had the unexpected level of success the Cats had this year. So much fun to have enjoyed the primo seasons both NU and SDSU had this year. Go Aztecs! Go Cats!

Last edited:
My hope for tonight: Boo’s behind-the-back move against Boise makes “One Shining Moment.”
Sorry SmellyCat, the only NU image I saw was of CCC reprising the exact same pose that made the Phillips kid famous. Thanks, CBS, for typecasting us.

Last edited:
UCONN was never really threatened. A very well deserved championship for the Huskies. Similar to the Miami game, they responded to whatever run their opponent could muster. It’s too bad a few bounces didn’t go FAU’s way. I think their unique lineup and style of play would have given UCONN fits.

I think the one lesson for NU, the BIG and any college program is how important roster construction is. Getting the best players possible seems like it should be an effective strategy, but how those pieces fit together is probably the most important. This UConn team was constructed so well. You had 3 super talented, super complimentary guys who formed the nucleus - the dominant big man, the shooter and the glue guy. Then you assemble a roster of talented role players around that.

I feel like that was the error Collins made after the 2016-17 team. He went after the best recruits he could with not much thought as to how they complimented each other. Whether by plan or by accident, once he lost Nance and Young, he was left with a roster that just complimented each other so much better, even if on paper, they weren't the most talented. Hopefully, that is a lesson he has learned as we see the next wave of recruits our recent success brings.

I think the one lesson for NU, the BIG and any college program is how important roster construction is. Getting the best players possible seems like it should be an effective strategy, but how those pieces fit together is probably the most important. This UConn team was constructed so well. You had 3 super talented, super complimentary guys who formed the nucleus - the dominant big man, the shooter and the glue guy. Then you assemble a roster of talented role players around that.

I feel like that was the error Collins made after the 2016-17 team. He went after the best recruits he could with not much thought as to how they complimented each other. Whether by plan or by accident, once he lost Nance and Young, he was left with a roster that just complimented each other so much better, even if on paper, they weren't the most talented. Hopefully, that is a lesson he has learned as we see the next wave of recruits our recent success brings.
There's a joke here about the importance of players being nice and respectful to each other.

• Haha
There's a joke here about the importance of players being nice and respectful to each other.
Dammit! At least it's not as bad as your, you're and there, their, they're or the other one I seem to get wrong a surprising amount of times, our, are.

Reactions: NU Houston
The day is here I was never expecting to see - the Aztecs vying for the National Championship! Thanks to other board members letting me ramble on these past weeks about things San Diego. Alaska and I both share connections to San Diego so he esp understands that March Madness has been especially crazy this year for those of us with ties to SDSU and the city.

FWIW- I was a long-time Aztec season ticket holder when Steve Fisher first arrived and Viejas Arena was built. I can also remember prior to that when Tony Gwynn was an outstanding guard for the Aztecs way back in the day (he was actually an NBA draftee.) So this has been a remarkable journey for the Aztecs and for me as a long time fan. (Our local NU club members were also very excited about the Aztecs at our club meeting last week.)

I remember Bob Hurley bringing his St. Anthony (NJ) team to San Diego for the holiday tournament years ago at Torrey Pines HS close by to where I live. They were always a top team in the national division and it was always a fun experience watching top talent bound for college compete in this tournament. It’s possible that son and UConn coach Dan Hurley was at the tournament at some time but dad Bob was a huge figure that attracted large crowds to these HS tournament games.

This event is right up there for me with other major sports experiences I’ve had- the NU vs USC Rose Bowl, the Holiday Bowl victory, the Padres run to the World Series vs NY Yankees and the 2000 UM comeback and win with the spread offense wearing down UM’s defense.

The Aztecs are heavy underdogs against UConn. I remember all the times NU was never expected to win only to overcome the odds. I think the mindset of “Expect Victory” under GB was transformative for NU sports. The Aztecs basketball program has emerged as a solid program under Fisher and has elevated to top level under Dutch. Regardless of the outcome today the Aztecs run for the title has electrified the community around the team.
Go Aztecs!

Your post should be printed out and put on billboards and chalkboards around America.

Why we love sports, why we care,

Sorry your guys didn't win last night (I was rooting for you!).

Ah sports, if we didn't have sports life would totally suck.

Let's Go Mets! Let's Go Islanders (clap clap clapclapclap)..

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
Er4ZGVqXcAEI9ix

5 Nattys since 1999. UConn might be the quietest dynasty since the Strathclyde Kingdom.
I think the issue with UConn is that they have down years in between. This keeps them from being considered one of the elite. You don't consider them a contender year in and year out. But then every several years, they emerge out of nowhere and win it all. I suspect Hurley will keep them more consistently good.

Sorry SmellyCat, the only NU image I saw was of CCC reprising the exact same pose that made the Phillips kid famous. Thanks, CBS, for typecasting us.
Yeah, that was crappy. You'd think a team that made the 2nd round could get at least one clip of a NICHOLBOMB.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Your post should be printed out and put on billboards and chalkboards around America.

Why we love sports, why we care,

Sorry your guys didn't win last night (I was rooting for you!).

Ah sports, if we didn't have sports life would totally suck.

Let's Go Mets! Let's Go Islanders (clap clap clapclapclap)..
Thanks Euro. I think the Aztecs gave it their all and the crowd I was with was excited when the Aztecs came back and closed it to 5 down with 5 minutes left. (I think that may be the closest any other team stayed with UConn that late in the game.) But after that UConn dominated the rest of the way.

The Aztecs offense was too streaky (11 min drought w/o a fg in the 1st half killed them). UConn is a top team that was unrelenting on both offense and defense. I wish the Aztecs could have kept it close to the end but I’m still proud how far they made it in the tournament.

To lessen the pain of the Aztecs loss the Padres won with a walk-off homer last night to beat the Rockies. It’s been a fun ride.
Go Aztecs!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT