ADVERTISEMENT

The big news that really wasn't at NU's Wednesday practice

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
The big news at Wednesday's practice was the starting left tackle, until Pat Fitzgerald said it didn't mean anything.

Story: The big news that really wasn't

I'll have some practice notes and observations (who looked good, who did what) on The Rock later today, as well as upcoming stories on Keith Watkins and NU's receivers.

The big news at Wednesday's practice was the starting left tackle, until Pat Fitzgerald said it didn't mean anything.

Story: The big news that really wasn't

I'll have some practice notes and observations (who looked good, who did what) on The Rock later today, as well as upcoming stories on Keith Watkins and NU's receivers.

I am the only one that can't get link to work?

I'm not been a Blake Hance fan if only for his poor-to-putrid pass blocking footwork that never truly improved over the course of the season. In NU's last 3 games in 2016, I boldly stated that Hance had regressed to the point where I personally speculated that he was damaged goods that should have been benched for a healthier sub. For an O-lineman who had started 21 games, his pass bolcking foundation looked like he was falling back on his high school-level techniques used against weaker, smaller competition - even against an over-matched Ill-annoy DL - which was an indicator that Blake was playing injured - and playing badly. Yet, his position coach, Adam Cushing, continuned to roll the performance dice and call on Hance to continue playing because no other OL had shown definitively that they were better than his hurting ROT starter at that point (again, pure opinion here). If subbing Hance in the 3rd pre-season practice in 2017 lights the proverbial fire under Blake's pads, then I'm all for it. For the 'Cats to improve to the next level offensively in 2017, it's an absolute imperrative to get more consistent & reliable pass blocking results from the ROT position.

I'm not been a Blake Hance fan if only for his poor-to-putrid pass blocking footwork that never truly improved over the course of the season. In NU's last 3 games in 2016, I boldly stated that Hance had regressed to the point where I personally speculated that he was damaged goods that should have been benched for a healthier sub. For an O-lineman who had started 21 games, his pass bolcking foundation looked like he was falling back on his high school-level techniques used against weaker, smaller competition - even against an over-matched Ill-annoy DL - which was an indicator that Blake was playing injured - and playing badly. Yet, his position coach, Adam Cushing, continuned to roll the performance dice and call on Hance to continue playing because no other OL had shown definitively that they were better than his hurting ROT starter at that point (again, pure opinion here). If subbing Hance in the 3rd pre-season practice in 2017 lights the proverbial fire under Blake's pads, then I'm all for it. For the 'Cats to improve to the next level offensively in 2017, it's an absolute imperrative to get more consistent & reliable pass blocking results from the ROT position.

Uh, Hance was the LOT last season. Olsen was the ROT.

I'd be shocked if Butler isn't a starting Guard. He was solid last year.
I like Butler to start also.

If someone passes Hance, then so be it. There should be an open competition at all spots at all times. Glad Fitz is not keeping an incumbency bias. Good on Thomas for pushing, and maybe surpassing him. May the best man win the job.

I think we can be confident in Butler North Doles across the middle, the LT and RT will hopefully continue to develop. Those were the biggest weak points last year, though Fitz made a good point that Thorson was to blame for a not insignificant number of those 39 sacks last year. He got a bit better at getting rid of the ball when pressure comes but he still is not always the most fluid in the pocket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT