ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Ten Targets: UK, A&M, GT, The U

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
I hope The U. But for recruiting, it is a MUST to get a Texas and a deep south school.
TCU, UM, UK, GT.

Maybe ND and Vtech. Could you imaging a PSU vs VT?

Fans wanna know

I hope The U. But for recruiting, it is a MUST to get a Texas and a deep south school.
TCU, UM, UK, GT.

Maybe ND and Vtech. Could you imaging a PSU vs VT?

Fans wanna know
False. Fake news.

Understood. After all, it's by Turk.
He responded with an insult suggesting I had been drinking, which was deleted by the mods. I wish. I did get a lot of sun at the country club, but imbibed no drinks as I was a guest and enjoying the pool.

If only Turk would use his extensive connections in Ohio and Florida to validate real rumors and not make up his own.

He responded with an insult suggesting I had been drinking, which was deleted by the mods. I wish. I did get a lot of sun at the country club, but imbibed no drinks as I was a guest and enjoying the pool.

If only Turk would use his extensive connections in Ohio and Florida to validate real rumors and not make up his own.
No. Neither you or a specific mod has a slight sense of humor.
That said, what is false about what I said in my post?
And fwiw, my original post could be expanded to include Clemson and or reasonably possible to merge with the acc and trim the fat.

Remember, google is your friend. Put down the bottled water and find the article talking about a merger with the acc minus NU, and 8 others.
We dont even know how deep this rabbit hole goes and yet you and most on this board are still thinking small. Sad.

And fwiw, my original post could be expanded to include Clemson and or reasonably possible to merge with the acc and trim the fat.

Remember, google is your friend. Put down the bottled water and find the article talking about a merger with the acc minus NU, and 8 others.
We dont even know how deep this rabbit hole goes and yet you and most on this board are still thinking small. Sad.
I didn’t report the post so someone else might have. Anyway I have a decent sense of humor. Probably funnier than some, if not most but certainly not all. I’m actually drinking a flavored seltzer water. Bottled water is a waste when one owns a decent purifier.

I have no idea what article you’re talking about. Could you please link me Mister MisterWickerTurk?

I didn’t report the post so someone else might have. Anyway I have a decent sense of humor. Probably funnier than some, if not most but certainly not all. I’m actually drinking a flavored seltzer water. Bottled water is a waste when one owns a decent purifier.

I have no idea what article you’re talking about. Could you please link me Mister MisterWickerTurk?
What is certainly formulating is something much much bigger than Kansas. This isnt a movie over a rainbow even though the bluebirds are chirping.
Many are now suggesting a full blown merger between the acc and bigten in order to protect the powerful expanded sec.
Who knows how it will shake out but no way in hell does the most powerful conference with 20% more revenues coming in than the sec settle for the big12 leftovers.
One article claims its all about market revenues and that we didnt make the cut but duke did based on bb revenue.
Obviously i think that is absurd given the chicago market and that phillips is the commissioner.
I am not going to underestimate Phillips as I think some of these articles will prove correct insomuch that it will affect a ton of teams and look like a merger.

Also, you want to keep OSU by offering iowa state and okie st????? NO WAY!

You keep OSU by putting steak on the table and beating the sec at its own game by bringing in not only clemson but most of the acc.
And the acc has to move this way as well.

Our concern will become, will NU survive in the merged conference, rather than, will there me a merged conference.
There will necessarily be a merger between conferences ACC/Bigten.

Jim Phillips and the ACC is flat out dead in the water without the Bigten. The SEC revenue will explode past the Bigten especially if the big takes big12 leftovers.

Nobody wants to air iowa state vs Maryland. Just like in business mergers, to stay competitive, businesses have to merge and get market share in some industries.

The pac12 will get big12 lefties, and the bigten will merge with acc and toss out 9 low revenue teams.

Our concern will become, will NU survive in the merged conference, rather than, will there me a merged conference.
There will necessarily be a merger between conferences ACC/Bigten.

Jim Phillips and the ACC is flat out dead in the water without the Bigten. The SEC revenue will explode past the Bigten especially if the big takes big12 leftovers.

Nobody wants to air iowa state vs Maryland. Just like in business mergers, to stay competitive, businesses have to merge and get market share in some industries.

The pac12 will get big12 lefties, and the bigten will merge with acc and toss out 9 low revenue teams.
Turk, how about you link to your shared articles? Iowa State vs Maryland would be interesting if both were ranked.

And why do you not think NU will be fine? We’re a top 10 school that just finished the football and wrestling seasons ranked in the top 10.

Not thinking small, but Kevin Warren is playing checkers, or tiddly winks, or something, whilst SEC is playing Spock chess. Meanwhile, the ACC and PAC are probably going to get the useful remains of the Big 12 carcass, and/or be part of the larger scale superconference, and we'll end up with Kansas and lose OSU/UM/PSU. This is a bad time for the B1G to have weak leadership, but that's what we have. Edit - meant Big 12 carcass not B1G

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCats
Not thinking small, but Kevin Warren is playing checkers, or tiddly winks, or something, whilst SEC is playing Spock chess. Meanwhile, the ACC and PAC are probably going to get the useful remains of the B1G carcass, and/or be part of the larger scale superconference, and we'll end up with Kansas and lose OSU/UM/PSU. This is a bad time for the B1G to have weak leadership, but that's what we have.
If the SEC is playing Spock chess and the B1G is playing checkers, then what is @Turk playing?

Not thinking small, but Kevin Warren is playing checkers, or tiddly winks, or something, whilst SEC is playing Spock chess. Meanwhile, the ACC and PAC are probably going to get the useful remains of the B1G carcass, and/or be part of the larger scale superconference, and we'll end up with Kansas and lose OSU/UM/PSU. This is a bad time for the B1G to have weak leadership, but that's what we have.
The SEC is going large. I dont think the Big will tip its hand.
But, for a moment, think about the outcome for the acc if it doesnt talk to the Big. The ACC will be a complete disaster.

One thing we can agree on is that smarts and relationships would be needed to trump the powerful sec deal.

Who do we know that could trump the sec?
Jim Phillips.

As commissioner of the acc, he is intelligent enough to bring the tv deals together and further the acc, and his relationship to the bigten will certainly have something to do with it.

One thing is sure, each bigten school is on its own. Dont expect OSU to stick around playing 9 peewees when it can sign a mega deal to join the NFL 2.0 SEC.

I mean, why stay in single A when you can play in the big leagues or AAA?

There are only 2 paths. Either clemson and osu will end up in the same league with a bunch of other schools along with michigan. Or the big ten expands with big12 leftovers minus osu and michigan.

One thing that nobody needs to tell us is that as much as osu and michigan hate eachother, michigan is riding with osu.

If the SEC is playing Spock chess and the B1G is playing checkers, then what is @Turk playing?
Just pointing to scoreboard.
Here is what you know.
1. Sec going for the throat and isnt finished. Courting osu and michigan to effectively form NFL 2.0.

So, imo it is almost certain that osu and michigan go to the sec unless the big thinks clemson and bigger fish through a merger. Phillips is a whiz and so lets not count him out. Im not convinced big12 leftovers is enuf to keep osu and michigan.

So what about NU? Our revenues blow BUT we have a great TV market so imo we will be wanted somewhere. Obviously our BB program sucks nuts and will be used against us.

At any rate, im not convinced this is just another case of adding another maryland and rutgers type expansion. Its all about $$$ and TV deals. And the SEC just laid down a pair of aces.

Not saying Im right but imo the final fallout will resemble something short of merging 2 full conferences if the big wants to keep osu and michigan.

And as a fan, im forced to pick a favorite sec team to roll with since i love college football and love "Top" competition.

That’s why a Big PAC merger — with attendant downsizing and clutter removal — strikes me as the Big’s best shot. (Not necessarily NU’s.)

The ACC GOR is a disaster (aside: for those fortunate to have forgotten previous rounds of this nonsense, the Jefferson Pilot thing the new poster was asking about is part of the ACC’s strange history of media deals.) So, sure, there will be some long term financial interest. But beyond that, there is almost no appetite outside of faculty lounges to be found within the ranks of the ACC for joining the Big Ten. Just leave it at ‘perceived cultural fit.’ No school is going to alienate so many of their fans and alumni.

Only Conference Armageddon could drive those schools to the B1G. The ACC would need to vote (maybe 12 required) to collectively dissolve their agreement, because they were all racing to new homes. Maybe we are ‘there,’ or will be soon, but it is difficult to believe.

Big 12 leftovers don’t increase media deal payouts or they wouldn’t be Big 12 leftovers.

So, a merger of the Big Pac might stave off the pro league for a spell longer.

Edit: Sure, it is one season’s worth of data, but it still tells the story.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the OU/TX move begins no earlier than 2025? If so, I am less concerned. A lot can happen in 5 years. OSU/Mich have their identity tied to the B1G more than OU/TX to the Big 12, so perhaps that might be a mitigating factor. One thing I can say, if by, say, 2025, there are 32 teams in a super conference which are the so-called blue bloods of the current P5, I can live without NU being a part of that. The sport will be unrecognizable. My main concern is that Warren is not capable of managing this process as adroitly as...well, any other conference leader.

Is this a joke?

How is the Big Ten going to get raided? We're going to raid the ACC when their GoR is near up.

Oops I meant Big12 carcass. I have B1G almost on auto-type
Ah yeah as far as we go, I'm not too concerned.

Everything points to 2030-2032 being a street fight over ACC teams.

No way FSU and Clemson should agree to a GoR extension when they will be earning $30-40 million less per year than a SEC/Big Ten team.

And that should finally enable us to target ND with a group of ACC teams.

Maybe Phillips can pull a rabbit from his hat, but I doubt it. No real reason for FSU and Clemson not to check out other options.

And that could set off the dominoes we need to grab some big group including ND/UNC etc.

Just pointing to scoreboard.
Here is what you know.
1. Sec going for the throat and isnt finished. Courting osu and michigan to effectively form NFL 2.0.

So, imo it is almost certain that osu and michigan go to the sec unless the big thinks clemson and bigger fish through a merger. Phillips is a whiz and so lets not count him out. Im not convinced big12 leftovers is enuf to keep osu and michigan.

So what about NU? Our revenues blow BUT we have a great TV market so imo we will be wanted somewhere. Obviously our BB program sucks nuts and will be used against us.

At any rate, im not convinced this is just another case of adding another maryland and rutgers type expansion. Its all about $$$ and TV deals. And the SEC just laid down a pair of aces.

Not saying Im right but imo the final fallout will resemble something short of merging 2 full conferences if the big wants to keep osu and michigan.

And as a fan, im forced to pick a favorite sec team to roll with since i love college football and love "Top" competition.
You’re just parroting things my buddy told me. Maybe you’re both reading the same sources, or maybe you’re just copycatting the CatManTRUTH.

Scoreboard, CMT 3, Turk 0.

How do you know what NU’s revenues are? And which SEC team will you be cheering for per your last point?

You’re just parroting things my buddy told me. Maybe you’re both reading the same sources, or maybe you’re just copycatting the CatManTRUTH.

Scoreboard, CMT 3, Turk 0.

How do you know what NU’s revenues are? And which SEC team will you be cheering for per your last point?
Who knows? But assuming some level of credibility in a few articles that suggested osu and michigan could bolt to the sec sent enough chill bumps up my spine. So i figure that the big will have to produce a few keeper fish instead of going after a few floater programs like rutgers and maryland.
So it would naturally follow imo that the crap would fall downhill to the lesser conferences like the acc or pac10 unless their commissioners get active. The columbus dispatch just parroted me about 5 hours ago and suggested acc. The tv deals can be renegotiated and a win win.
However, another top news source said that the big would most likely eye usc, ucla, and oregon. I love that!
Oddly, the cardinal wasnt mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT