ADVERTISEMENT

The good, the bad, and the ug...screamer

FitzFan

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
Just got back from the game and thought I'd share my thoughts:

The Good:
  • The new arena is beautiful. I probably had the worst seat in the house (section 216 single game ticket) and still had a great view of the court that made me feel like I was close to the action. I didn't have any concessions, but y'all know how I feel about those. Everything is so well-designed. I give it a Turk score of 10/10 flat earths.
  • Ryan Taylor can shoot. Bit of an odd release, but hey, if it goes it I've got no complaints.
  • Law had a good game. You could see him teaching the younger players on the court. I'd like to see him cut towards the basket more often when he doesn't have the ball, but he was efficient and played like a senior leader.
  • Kopp has a sweet stroke and will be our top freshman contributor, IMO. You can see the potential in Nance, but I think he'll really need a year in the weight room before he's ready to start. He looked a bit timid today, but that's expected of freshman in their first real college game.
  • It felt like Collins found his starting 5 in the second half in Turner, Taylor, Law, Gaines, and Pardon. Unless I'm mistaken, it was primarily this group that made the big run mid way through the second half.
  • Red Panda once again rocked the halftime show.
The Bad
  • The offense was wayyyy too slow in the 1st half. We made our run when we picked up the tempo, and I think an up-tempo offense plays to this team's strengths.
  • Defense felt sluggish in both the first and second half, but I think may may've been due to the pace of the substitutions. I imagine it would be hard to find a rhythm defensively (and offensively, for that matter) when guys are getting subbed in every few minutes. I'm not too worried about it, though, as I expect it to improve as the non-con continues.
The Screamer
  • Her peers hate her. Otolaryngologists love her. Her scream brought down MH370.
  • She needs to go.

Reactions: EagerFan
If Jim Phillips is half the AD we all think he is, he’s going to have dondeal with this.

One definite weakness of this team is that they don't have a slasher someone who can dribble and drive to the basket and then kick out if necessary. Wasn't able to watch the preseason game but people were lauding how great Nance was but he looked very tentative out there today. During one time out you could see coach all over Pete about not being aggressive on rebounding.

The Good:
  • The new arena is beautiful. I probably had the worst seat in the house (section 216 single game ticket) and still had a great view of the court that made me feel like I was close to the action. I didn't have any concessions, but y'all know how I feel about those. Everything is so well-designed. I give it a Turk score of 10/10 flat earths.
  • Ryan Taylor can shoot. Bit of an odd release, but hey, if it goes it I've got no complaints.
  • Law had a good game. You could see him teaching the younger players on the court. I'd like to see him cut towards the basket more often when he doesn't have the ball, but he was efficient and played like a senior leader.
  • Kopp has a sweet stroke and will be our top freshman contributor, IMO. You can see the potential in Nance, but I think he'll really need a year in the weight room before he's ready to start. He looked a bit timid today, but that's expected of freshman in their first real college game.
  • It felt like Collins found his starting 5 in the second half in Turner, Taylor, Law, Gaines, and Pardon. Unless I'm mistaken, it was primarily this group that made the big run mid way through the second half.
The Bad
  • The offense was wayyyy too slow in the 1st half. We made our run when we picked up the tempo, and I think an up-tempo offense plays to this team's strengths.
  • Defense felt sluggish in both the first and second half, but I think may may've been due to the pace of the substitutions. I imagine it would be hard to find a rhythm defensively (and offensively, for that matter) when guys are getting subbed in every few minutes. I'm not too worried about it, though, as I expect it to improve as the non-con continues.
The Screamer
  • Her peers hate her. Otolaryngologists love her. Her scream brought down MH370.
  • She needs to go.
Turk has been silent on his Flat Earth testings since his green laser was apparently misplaced along the lakefront. As it turned out, apparently the green laser was obstructed by a curvy buttock along Ohio beach between his 15 mile A/B sights.

Reactions: NUCat320
Turk has been silent on his Flat Earth testings since his green laser was apparently misplaced along the lakefront. As it turned out, apparently the green laser was obstructed by a curvy buttock along Ohio beach between his 15 mile A/B sights.

Trolling a northwestern sports message board is as low as it gets

Reactions: Fitz51
One definite weakness of this team is that they don't have a slasher someone who can dribble and drive to the basket and then kick out if necessary. Wasn't able to watch the preseason game but people were lauding how great Nance was but he looked very tentative out there today. During one time out you could see coach all over Pete about not being aggressive on rebounding.
Also the offense comes to a half when Ash is in and Gaines needs a lot of shooting practice.

They won't all play out like that, but that game played out pretty much exactly how I thought it would- not too many surprises. We are a team that is going to play good defense and rebound well. As both Law and Collins said after the game, "defense is going to be our calling card". We only have a few guys that we can count on to fill it up consistently (Taylor and Law), but other guys (Pardon, Turner, Kopp specifically) that will be able to have good scoring games as well, just not as consistently.

I think we will be in a good amount of ugly games this year where we will need to win with our defense and rebounding. Last night, it wasn't too pretty in the first half, but our depth and athleticism was too much for a lesser team to hang with for 40 minutes. It was nice to see that even when we aren't shooting great, we had too many athletes for a lesser team to hang with. That's not something you would see consistently from any past NU teams.

I saw a lot of positives last night. Look forward to the team getting more comfortable playing with one another in game action.

... but people were lauding how great Nance was but he looked very tentative out there today ..

Unlike the exhibition, Nance looked very much like a freshman last night. A couple shots he took exemplified how he was forcing it.

Unlike the exhibition, Nance looked very much like a freshman last night. A couple shots he took exemplified how he was forcing it.
The best First Year on the floor by far last night was the kid from Charlotte for UNO. Large, strong player already who wasn't intimidated in the least by NU.

The Cats are obviously still working on this offense. As it evolves, I hope they're not as reliant on the three as they were last night. They were ahead by 5 and shooting 27% from three halfway through the second half. Then, they got their act together.

They need another shooter or two besides Law and Taylor. But the potential is there.

I'm not sure how all of this would fly in the B10, but it's a work in progress.

The Cats are obviously still working on this offense. As it evolves, I hope they're not as reliant on the three as they were last night. They were ahead by 5 and shooting 27% from three halfway through the second half. Then, they got their act together.

They need another shooter or two besides Law and Taylor. But the potential is there.

I'm not sure how all of this would fly in the B10, but it's a work in progress.

Falzon will be coming back. Kopp has a nice shot from distance, let's give him a few games.

My concern on O is that the give guys on the floor aren't on the same page. And then guys like Pardon and Law in trying to fix it get out of position.

There were some moments in the second half when it looked like they were simply playing and not thinking....back door cuts...and it looked pretty sweet.

The best entry pass to Pardon....from Benson. Simply has to be more rigor in getting the ball inside and then immediately moving to the open space. People are standing and watching. Kopp and Greer to me look ahead of the curve.

Reactions: nickcat4
The best First Year on the floor by far last night was the kid from Charlotte for UNO. Large, strong player already who wasn't intimidated in the least by NU.

Miller Kopp wasn't chopped liver out there either. Scored the first official basket at the new WR. The ceiling is high for this kid.

We saw the ‘go to’ line up with Taylor, Turner, Gaines, Law & Pardon. Gaines will be the PF. This was the best Team offensively and defensively. Koop is the next guy up since he can play multiple positions. I was very impressed with Turner. He can put the ball on the floor. I think Turner, Taylor & Law can put the ball on the floor, drive and pull up for the ‘j.’ My buddy, an IU grad and fan, who has gone with me for years to games, thought this was/is NU’s most athletic team and was impressed.

Reactions: drewjin
We saw the ‘go to’ line up with Taylor, Turner, Gaines, Law & Pardon. Gaines will be the PF. This was the best Team offensively and defensively. Koop is the next guy up since he can play multiple positions. I was very impressed with Turner. He can put the ball on the floor. I think Turner, Taylor & Law can put the ball on the floor, drive and pull up for the ‘j.’ My buddy, an IU grad and fan, who has gone with me for years to games, thought this was/is NU’s most athletic team and was impressed.

I agree. If defense is going to be this team's calling card, as Collins has said a few times, then Gaines has to be out there. AG is also good at moving without the ball and finding shots in the flow of offense.

I agree. If defense is going to be this team's calling card, as Collins has said a few times, then Gaines has to be out there. AG is also good at moving without the ball and finding shots in the flow of offense.
Problem is he can't make them.

The Good:
The Bad
The Screamer
  • She needs to go.
Super impressed by the ENT reference. A steroid burst and I’ll have her back in the stands in no time!

Early schedule seems pretty ideal for this team as they need to get to know one another before tackling the big boys!

Super impressed by the ENT reference. A steroid burst and I’ll have her back in the stands in no time!
giphy.gif

They won't all play out like that, but that game played out pretty much exactly how I thought it would- not too many surprises. We are a team that is going to play good defense and rebound well. As both Law and Collins said after the game, "defense is going to be our calling card". We only have a few guys that we can count on to fill it up consistently (Taylor and Law), but other guys (Pardon, Turner, Kopp specifically) that will be able to have good scoring games as well, just not as consistently.

I think we will be in a good amount of ugly games this year where we will need to win with our defense and rebounding. Last night, it wasn't too pretty in the first half, but our depth and athleticism was too much for a lesser team to hang with for 40 minutes. It was nice to see that even when we aren't shooting great, we had too many athletes for a lesser team to hang with. That's not something you would see consistently from any past NU teams.

I saw a lot of positives last night. Look forward to the team getting more comfortable playing with one another in game action.
We definitely have more talent than we have had

Pardon made some key baskets in the second half when NO cut it to 4. Gaines, Law, Taylor and Turner need to feed him. Would like to see Pardon and Benson in the game at the same time. Law has the all around game to be all Big 10. Kopp has a smooth shot. Physical build to withstand pounding of Big 10, but with a sweet touch. Nance struggled to find spots to shoot, but he is freshman so there will be games like this. Liked offensive ball movement with Greer out there. Gaines is a stat stuffer who can really get after it on defense. Played 25 minutes and I see that continuing. Ash struggled on defense and offense is stagnant when he is at the point. Does not have the explosion after last year’s injury. Best lineup was Gaines, Taylor, Turner, Law and Pardon. Kopp started and will be a big time contributor. Nance played tentative, but he has the tools to be special. Team is as deep athletically as any NU team over past 30 years. The problem is teams that NU will be competing with in middle tier of Big 10 also are deep with athletes like IU and OSU.

Pardon made some key baskets in the second half when NO cut it to 4. Gaines, Law, Taylor and Turner need to feed him. Would like to see Pardon and Benson in the game at the same time. Law has the all around game to be all Big 10. Kopp has a smooth shot. Physical build to withstand pounding of Big 10, but with a sweet touch. Nance struggled to find spots to shoot, but he is freshman so there will be games like this. Liked offensive ball movement with Greer out there. Gaines is a stat stuffer who can really get after it on defense. Played 25 minutes and I see that continuing. Ash struggled on defense and offense is stagnant when he is at the point. Does not have the explosion after last year’s injury. Best lineup was Gaines, Taylor, Turner, Law and Pardon. Kopp started and will be a big time contributor. Nance played tentative, but he has the tools to be special. Team is as deep athletically as any NU team over past 30 years. The problem is teams that NU will be competing with in middle tier of Big 10 also are deep with athletes like IU and OSU.
Looked ok but settled for and missed too many 3's. Maybe if Falzon can come back, that could be remedied.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT