ADVERTISEMENT

The Inconvenient Truth about Brown

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
He should be playing more.

I'm not sure if it takes an Act of God to get him minutes or what. Granted, I don't know what is going on with practices but I'm assuming some sorta discipline issue at practice. Pure speculation. Because he should have played a helluva lot more today, and the other day. Not sure what Collins' story is on this but this kid is far superior than the minutes that other guys are getting. It's very easy to see on the court.

At any rate, he seems to have a great attitude, even though he sits on the bench a lot more than he should. And if we lost to DePaul, I was definitely going to rip on someone. Play the darn guy! What the hell is going on?

The reason has actually been mentioned by the announcers in multiple games--defense.But he has been working hard at it, and that was evident today.

The reason has actually been mentioned by the announcers in multiple games--defense.But he has been working hard at it, and that was evident today.
Gaines got some rebounds today but his defense lapses a lot on the perimeter. He gotta start challenging those 3 pt shots instead of just putting his hand up in the face. But he does hustle and seems eager.

Not sure what happened to Benson today but his defense was dead on arrival and didn't play much afterwards. Falzon has to remember what he does....make baskets. But I like him starting instead of Skelly.

Brown's defense seemed fine today. But I knew there had to be a reason. At any rate, he was a complete mismatch today for DePaul and easily exploited when he was in. Hopefully, he is more consistent on defense because we need him on the floor. Good to see Ash when we needed him as well. Good team, poor play today, but I seen enough to believe we will win 12+ games in the BIG.

Reactions: Pete Purple
I agree- I've been critical of Brown, as he has forced shots and forgotten at times about our better options. That said, he's a welcome asset on days like today when others are not hitting their shots.

And critically, he has progressed on his defense.

If we had to have a few bad losses for Collins to get ALL of our players to buy into defense then so be it. Our defense has been outstanding over the past few weeks, starting with Illinois. But in November, our defense was awful. Worse than in the BC era.

He also can't shoot. Coming into today he was shooting 36% from the floor and 22% from beyond the arc. Granted, he's only getting 2-3 attempts per game, but he wasn't any better last year when he got more time.

He also can't shoot. Coming into today he was shooting 36% from the floor and 22% from beyond the arc. Granted, he's only getting 2-3 attempts per game, but he wasn't any better last year when he got more time.

Well, he shot 75% today, and played excellent defense. Was a critical factor in the win.

Reactions: ricko654321
I don't think anyone on the team has taken as many charges as Brown. He's a very cagey player.

He was injured and now just getting back to peak performance.

He doesn't have the size and thickness that Gaines has who was in there today to replace Vic's D.

I don't think anyone on the team has taken as many charges as Brown. He's a very cagey player.
I agree. Tough kid, gotta be brave to take those.

NU played much of the second half, including their comeback run, with 4 Guards and Pardon. Never imagined seeing such a lineup. DePaul had no answer for that bizarre lineup.

Reactions: ricko654321

He was injured and now just getting back to peak performance.

He doesn't have the size and thickness that Gaines has who was in there today to replace Vic's D.
Gaines doesn't have speed and is a bit slower than Sanjay going to the rim. He has a really tough time going to the rim in the paint. It worked in the scrimmage since nobody was really guarding him, but he has seriously struggled in real games. He needs to improve his defense at the 3 pt line. He is there where he is suppose to be but he simply stands there and puts his hand in the face

I like Brown! He played well today! I agree Turk! He needed more minutes! Brown is our fastest guy out there! Mac is a sensational player from time to time. Mac is an excellent passer who can always be counted on to break the press. Still, I think Brown needs to get 10-15 minutes per game

He should be playing more.

I'm not sure if it takes an Act of God to get him minutes or what. Granted, I don't know what is going on with practices but I'm assuming some sorta discipline issue at practice. Pure speculation. Because he should have played a helluva lot more today, and the other day. Not sure what Collins' story is on this but this kid is far superior than the minutes that other guys are getting. It's very easy to see on the court.

At any rate, he seems to have a great attitude, even though he sits on the bench a lot more than he should. And if we lost to DePaul, I was definitely going to rip on someone. Play the darn guy! What the hell is going on?
I heard that Brown was hurt early on in the preseason and early into the season. My impression was/is that he isn't completely in game shape yet to get more pt!!?? He will get into the games more and more as he heals and gets his legs back. I agree with you- we really do need him. He plays with energy like the Bulls' Nuamba- and scores well- even though he is not the tallest fellow!

I heard that Brown was hurt early on in the preseason and early into the season. My impression was/is that he isn't completely in game shape yet to get more pt!!?? He will get into the games more and more as he heals and gets his legs back. I agree with you- we really do need him. He plays with energy like the Bulls' Nuamba- and scores well- even though he is not the tallest fellow!

Yup, he was hurt.

Currently 41.4% from the field, 5th best on the team. Shooting better than BMac. He also gets to the FT line more per minute than any other player on our team by far. 104 minutes, 16 FTs made. BMac has 25 FTs made in 412 minutes by comparison.

No doubt his defense needs work. He was confused out there yesterday in the zone defense.
But we need his offense. When Lindsey got his 2nd foul and Law was on the bench (ill?) for a long stretch in the first half, we had absolutely no offense.

It may be time to involve Brown in end-of-game situations on offense. He can make tough shots and would probably draw a team's third defender in a lineup with Mac and Lindsey.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Gaines definitely shows an ability to get to the rim. He just needs to learn when to take it to the rim within the offense. Defensively needs work but has shown some flashes. I see times where I'm like that was perfect D and other times who lost that guy and see it was Gaines. He does need to improve is shot. Even a reliable midrange jumper would add to his game. He also needs to pass to a wide open hot Scottie lindesy on the perimeter instead of missing a layup. Brown had a couple a mistakes on D that lead to points but much much improved from last year. Seems like he may have found his confidence. Brown is finding is shot within the offense a lot better this year. I also like to see him taking it up against the press. I think Brown should be second man off the bench behind Skelly. I really like the kid. Does need improvement in areas to start along with becoming more consistent. I see him by his senior year having a Skelly role currently where if you're feeling it you're playing starters min just not starting. (Thing that always holds Skelly back his fouls he was having a pretty good game just fouls hold him back)

Gaines definitely shows an ability to get to the rim. He just needs to learn when to take it to the rim within the offense. Defensively needs work but has shown some flashes. I see times where I'm like that was perfect D and other times who lost that guy and see it was Gaines. He does need to improve is shot. Even a reliable midrange jumper would add to his game. He also needs to pass to a wide open hot Scottie lindesy on the perimeter instead of missing a layup. Brown had a couple a mistakes on D that lead to points but much much improved from last year. Seems like he may have found his confidence. Brown is finding is shot within the offense a lot better this year. I also like to see him taking it up against the press. I think Brown should be second man off the bench behind Skelly. I really like the kid. Does need improvement in areas to start along with becoming more consistent. I see him by his senior year having a Skelly role currently where if you're feeling it you're playing starters min just not starting. (Thing that always holds Skelly back his fouls he was having a pretty good game just fouls hold him back)
Agree with most everything you wrote. Gaines looks like Sanjay v2.0, will become a lock-down defender and play hard inside. He has no outside shot, just like the young Sanjay v1.0, but has a couple of years to develop one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT