ADVERTISEMENT

The minutes...

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
I thought the minutes distribution was interesting. The bigs were all affected by fouls.

Heavy minutes for Lindsey, Law and B Mac against Loyola. The B Mac minutes don't bode well.

Brown played the minutes he played last year, but he only took two shots. Last year he average six shots per game. People here criticized Brown's performance which I don't get at all, frankly.

My takeaway...the bigs aren't there yet, still getting their sea legs...average performance at best...staff is struggling to replace the lost defense from Sanjay so Gaines gets minutes.

When Falzon comes back...Lindsey, Law and BMac minutes will go down a tad with a bit more Brown on the floor. I just don't see Collins using a long rotation, Ash will be minor minutes. Falzon and Brown will help make the offense hum.

Rap is going to see some minutes in the non conference, but he's going to have to show something. It would be nice to get a read on Rap's defensive game (which, honestly, we have no clue about).

min. (pf)
35 (2) Lindsey
35 (4) Law
19 (4) Skelly
29 (4) Pardon
38 (1) B Mac
12 (4) Gaines
14 (1) Brown
8 (1) Ash
10 (4) Benson

I thought the minutes distribution was interesting. The bigs were all affected by fouls.

Heavy minutes for Lindsey, Law and B Mac against Loyola. The B Mac minutes don't bode well.

Brown played the minutes he played last year, but he only took two shots. Last year he average six shots per game. People here criticized Brown's performance which I don't get at all, frankly.

My takeaway...the bigs aren't there yet, still getting their sea legs...average performance at best...staff is struggling to replace the lost defense from Sanjay so Gaines gets minutes.

When Falzon comes back...Lindsey, Law and BMac minutes will go down a tad with a bit more Brown on the floor. I just don't see Collins using a long rotation, Ash will be minor minutes. Falzon and Brown will help make the offense hum.

Rap is going to see some minutes in the non conference, but he's going to have to show something. It would be nice to get a read on Rap's defensive game (which, honestly, we have no clue about).

min. (pf)
35 (2) Lindsey
35 (4) Law
19 (4) Skelly
29 (4) Pardon
38 (1) B Mac
12 (4) Gaines
14 (1) Brown
8 (1) Ash
10 (4) Benson

In setting expected minutes for the team, I never contemplated a scenario with 0 for Falzon and Rap. It's actually kind of alarming for me. It's last year's team minus Lump & Tap but plus only AG.

If this keeps up, the core's legs are gonna be dead at end of games in B1G play.

Hoping to see something different tonight, along with better play overall from the team.

Reactions: IGNORE2
In setting expected minutes for the team, I never contemplated a scenario with 0 for Falzon and Rap. It's actually kind of alarming for me. It's last year's team minus Lump & Tap but plus only AG.

If this keeps up, the core's legs are gonna be dead at end of games in B1G play.

Hoping to see something different tonight, along with better play overall from the team.

Freshman big men typically don't play for top 20 teams because they are not ready. Outside of the one and done kids, recruit rankings for big men are projections. Benson and Pardon played because they had to. The path taken by Skelly is the much more typical path and even he had to play early because Collins had no choice. Next year, don't be surprised if Nance and Young see very few minutes as both are very talented players but don't look physically ready to contribute.

Alarmed? Relax. Rap and falzon just arent ready. Gaines is less ready. Falzon and Rap will get minutes and be ready midseason. By the end of the year, ill bet on rap, falzon, gaines helping us more than tap and sanjay.

min. (pf)
35 (2) Lindsey
35 (4) Law
19 (4) Skelly
29 (4) Pardon
38 (1) B Mac
12 (4) Gaines
14 (1) Brown
8 (1) Ash
10 (4) Benson
I can't say anything about Brown except that I heard from Eanet what I've already heard dozens of times in his career: "Wild shot from Brown." But then with a wide-open look at the end of the game Brown passed to a shocked and unprepared Law. I got the sense from Eanet that Brown is still trying to figure out how aggressive he should be without crossing the line into recklessness.

I can't say anything about Brown except that I heard from Eanet what I've already heard dozens of times in his career: "Wild shot from Brown." But then with a wide-open look at the end of the game Brown passed to a shocked and unprepared Law. I got the sense from Eanet that Brown is still trying to figure out how aggressive he should be without crossing the line into recklessness.

Brown can get a shot off in any situation, against anyone. While valuable, that's not always a good thing, I agree. Sometimes he doesn't know why he's passing. If he can convert at a more competitive rate I think the coaches will be more patient with him. But the offense is much more about passing the ball and movement until the D breaks down than shooting the ball. If you hang onto the ball too much, even if you make shots, your teammates aren't going to move with the same aggressiveness next time down the court and that is the very worst outcome.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Alarmed? Relax. Rap and falzon just arent ready. Gaines is less ready. Falzon and Rap will get minutes and be ready midseason. By the end of the year, ill bet on rap, falzon, gaines helping us more than tap and sanjay.

You have no way of knowing this about Falzon and Rap. Neither have played a real game in at least a year.

At the next stoppage, Law beelined to Brown and told him to shoot that shot. Brown definitely looked to pass more off his drives. Still a true sophomore playing in the first game of the year. He'll continue to improve.

We need better defense and better passing. I really see Ash getting 20 minutes per game and Brown down to five or so,once BT season starts.

A year ago you GUARANTEED everyone on this board that Ash would play more than 20 minutes per game. He averaged 8 mpg--and that with Lindsey out or weakened by mono for 6 weeks. Now, we add another guard to the lineup--and one already ahead of Ash in the rotation. Plus, Brown is still ahead of him, too.

I hope you're right... Ash was a good recruit who was also offered by Purdue. Still, the odds are stacked against him getting anywhere close to 20 mpg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT