ADVERTISEMENT

The NU Commitment Pool - Off. Tackle

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
The lack of recruiting news is driving me nuts. I have resorted to dissecting Glades' personal life on the Rant board, which is like watching the Kardashians.

I am guessing we take two more OL in the 2016 class--two OT prospects. In your opinion, who will they be?

The suspects:
Stueber
Wiederkehr
Sichterman
Honigford
Andries (wishful thinking on my part that he might somehow flip)

It appears that the domino theory is in effect. Most of the top-ranked OT prospects remain uncommitted, and until some of the first dominos start to fall, we may not see anything on our end.

Frankly, I'd be pretty happy with any two of the aforementioned guys, but it's looking like we will have to extend more offers to fill the assumed two slots. Thoughts?

Wiederkehr most likely, the rest relatively long shots for one reason or another. Admittedly don't know much about Stueber at this point, but he seems to be quickly turning into a hot commodity.

Best possible outcome in my eyes is a commitment from Wiederkehr sooner than later, which accelerates Sichterman's timeframe to take the NU offer.

(Would rather have some fast guys on offense either way.)

Not sure if you mean "fast" tackles, but Sichterman looks like he can really move. Stueber looks pretty mobil too.

Mean that we need skill guys on offense. Remain VERY worried about the status of our 2017 class/board at WR and RB.

Mean that we need skill guys on offense. Remain VERY worried about the status of our 2017 class/board at WR and RB.
I'd feel great if
1) We can flip the RB from Kentucky - Koback
2) We can get a dynamic slot guy like Taylor

The tough part is that there are not any good in-state prospects that I can see. We are going to have to pull some kid(s) off the west coast or the southeast, it seems. Hard to do.

I'd feel great if
1) We can flip the RB from Kentucky - Koback
2) We can get a dynamic slot guy like Taylor

The tough part is that there are not any good in-state prospects that I can see. We are going to have to pull some kid(s) off the west coast or the southeast, it seems. Hard to do.

Both of those seem like very long shots at this point.

And while a lack of in-state prospects doesn't help, my bigger worry is that we don't seem to have many (any?) solid "go-to" guys at the WR and RB spot. We've seen a handful of WR offers go out lately, but most of those are to highly-recruited guys with whom we likely don't have a great shot. I would have expected to see a bit wide net cast at these positions of need with the spring evaluation period ongoing.

Wiederkehr most likely, the rest relatively long shots for one reason or another. Admittedly don't know much about Stueber at this point, but he seems to be quickly turning into a hot commodity.

Best possible outcome in my eyes is a commitment from Wiederkehr sooner than later, which accelerates Sichterman's timeframe to take the NU offer.

(Would rather have some fast guys on offense either way.)

Agree with Best possible outcome being the domino theory led by Wiederkehr. As a back up to OT, we might turn to a couple of prospects that have already visited in Dellinger and Van Lynn. Both seem genuinely interested.

Not sure what to make of WR. Another long shot to add to your list is Yeast, the KY commit. Just feels like this could change if KY has another sub par season. Pace would be a real nice get. Most of his tape is at DB and it looks to me like he is more than equipped to play there if we so desire. Singleton from NOLA is still on the board too. Last few years we jumped in a WR's that exploded in their Senior year to no avail. Maybe we can land the Grant Perry or Nate Johnson this time around.

I would have expected to see a bit wide net cast at these positions of need with the spring evaluation period ongoing.

It's an interesting question...when do you widen your recruiting field? With the QBs, we waited until it was clear that none of our top choices were going to commit to NU before reaching out to Marty - who I think will be a great addition. With the WRs, there really hasn't been a lot of movement yet, so I'd hold off on extending too many more offers. I'm sure the recruiters who are talking with these kids are in a better position to know who is genuinely interested in NU.

It's an interesting question...when do you widen your recruiting field? With the QBs, we waited until it was clear that none of our top choices were going to commit to NU before reaching out to Marty - who I think will be a great addition. With the WRs, there really hasn't been a lot of movement yet, so I'd hold off on extending too many more offers. I'm sure the recruiters who are talking with these kids are in a better position to know who is genuinely interested in NU.

QBs are a little different because you're (usually) only taking one in a class. There's a more finite line between offers and open spots. At other positions, the number in each class is typically higher and can fluctuate over the course of a class taking shape (i.e. due to injuries, transfers, retirements, etc.). It pays dividends to have a deep list of "go-to" guys at those positions.

When to go to that "go-to" list is always an interesting strategic decision. I always pushed to start making those evaluations and offers shortly after the spring evaluation period, mostly because our coaches should have had eyes on all the guys by that point and because recruits should have a better feel for their preferred schools. It was unlikely that a guy would see his offer list substantially change after May 31 absent a superb camp performance or two.

May 31 was always one natural "go-to" time for me, as well as after your camps are done. There would then be another window after recruits had put together three- or four-game highlights from their senior year (typically late September) then another in December after your team's regular season ended. That said, the September and December windows are increasingly more irrelevant as the recruiting process moves ever earlier.

Both of those seem like very long shots at this point.

And while a lack of in-state prospects doesn't help, my bigger worry is that we don't seem to have many (any?) solid "go-to" guys at the WR and RB spot. We've seen a handful of WR offers go out lately, but most of those are to highly-recruited guys with whom we likely don't have a great shot. I would have expected to see a bit wide net cast at these positions of need with the spring evaluation period ongoing.
I think that we could have more success recruiting WRs during and after the season. Our passing game has been a weak spot for at least the last two years. In '14, Trevor was playing injured and our WRs were not good. Last year, Thorson was a frosh with more WR problems and a banged up OL. Recruits have to have seen our difficulties passing and come away unimpressed. I truly expect our passing game to be much improved this year. Seeing a good QB with two years remaining, a young and talented OL, and real strength at RB may induce some fence-sitters and others to reconsider NU.

Or maybe there is a prevailing view that we have had success turning light;y recruited, byt athletic qbs into very productive slot receivers (eg: perterman, ebert, now lees). I'm sure there are probably a few others liek bates. My guess would be to roll the dice at summer camps and develop a relationship with some of these borderline qb recruits and flip them into wrs. Strong leadership and football iq. Good formula?!?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT