ADVERTISEMENT

The only takeaway from OU game....

Medill90

Jan 30, 2011
....Trae Young is a joy to watch. If the young man stays at this pace it will be an incredible, historic performance. Based on his play alone KU's 13 year conference championship run is in question. His distribution is super fun....his shooting unbelievable....his hand speed on offense and defense is like a magician.

To take lessons out of this one about NU would be difficult but I have two or three.

Benson is a better player this year...he's smoothed some of those rough edges;

I can't get on board the B Mac sucks train. If everyone played with his intensity it would have been a closer game. He's missing shots. It's happened before. He'll make them. He doesn't wilt against better competition.

Law was sorely missed. It would have been tough for Trae to take those threes over a six seven law who jumps like a bunny rabbit. It wouldn't have stopped his game, but it would have taken something away. His offense was missed as well. That was at least 10 points of the margin.

Willy, this post is for you. Drive into Evanston, ask for a meeting with coaching staff and explain that shot conversions increase when players use the backboard. Show them film of Pardon, B Mac and Lindsey last night short arming little bunnies that bounced off the iron.

Looks to me like the attitude problem hasn't been completely fixed. Not a huge problem, but it hovers.

Finally, I've been in the minority of believing there is always enough opportunity in conference play to build a resume for the tournament. It would be nice to have a couple chips, but that's not the case. A healthy NU team can make a little run and beat anyone except, maybe MSU. They know what they have to do, and if they want to go back they have to do it.

Finally, finally. This roster is far less the Final Four team than what walks through the door next June. This is a nice, talented team that can compete. But it's NU and so Collins has to stair step this thing. The roster/talent gets better and better as the calendar turns.

It would be really nice to get in the tournament for recruiting's sake. But nothing has changed the overall momentum.

Last edited:
....Trae Young is a joy to watch. If the young man stays at this pace it will be an incredible, historic performance. Based on his play alone KU's 13 year conference championship run is in question. His distribution is super fun....his shooting unbelievable....his hand speed on offense and defense is like a magician.

To take lessons out of this one about NU would be difficult but I have two or three.

Benson is a better player this year...he's smoothed some of those rough edges;

I can't get on board the B Mac sucks train. If everyone played with his intensity it would have been a closer game. He's missing shots. It's happened before. He'll make them. He doesn't wilt against better competition.

Law was sorely missed. It would have been tough for Trae to take those threes over a six seven law who jumps like a bunny rabbit. It wouldn't have stopped his game, but it would have taken something away. His offense was missed as well. That was at least 20 points of the margin.

Willy, this post is for you. Drive into Evanston, ask for a meeting with coaching staff and explain that shot conversions increase when players use the backboard. Show them film of Pardon, B Mac and Lindsey last night short arming little bunnies that bounced off the iron.

Looks to me like the attitude problem hasn't been completely fixed. Not a huge problem, but it hovers.

Finally, I've been in the minority of believing there is always enough opportunity in conference play to build a resume for the tournament. It would be nice to have a couple chips, but that's not the case. A healthy NU team can make a little run and beat anyone except, maybe MSU. They know what they have to do, and if they want to go back they have to do it.

Finally, finally. This roster is far less the Final Four team than what walks through the door next June. This is a nice, talented team that can compete. But it's NU and so Collins has to stair step this thing. The roster/talent gets better and better as the calendar turns.

It would be really nice to get in the tournament for recruiting's sake. But nothing has changed the overall momentum.
Fabulous post.

One other point for Willy: despite having probably the best player in the nation on their team, who is leading the nation in both points and assists, OU drew only 9,000 people for a Friday night game. More evidence that NU does NOT need a bigger gym.

... I can't get on board the B Mac sucks train. If everyone played with his intensity it would have been a closer game. He's missing shots. It's happened before. He'll make them. He doesn't wilt against better competition.

Allow me to add a car to your train.

BMac has unfortunately sucked. But if I wanted to replace him, who am I going to replace him with? The out-of-control guard whose doesn't have much of an outside shot, gets forever stuck down low with defense that is just as bad as BMac?

This bunch needs someone to be steady, and BMac is that if nothing else. Let's hope he finds his shot. And I'll bet he will.

In the meantime, Collins needs to add Ash's defense to help BMac and Lindsey's weaknesses.

Fabulous post.

One other point for Willy: despite having probably the best player in the nation on their team, who is leading the nation in both points and assists, OU drew only 9,000 people for a Friday night game. More evidence that NU does NOT need a bigger gym.
Think there was either snowing or predicted to do so and just maybe the students were on Christmas break. Wonder what they average. Also isn't that 9,000 around 2,000 more then the capacity of the new W-R ?

Last edited:

BMac has unfortunately sucked. But if I wanted to replace him, who am I going to replace him with? The out-of-control guard whose doesn't have much of an outside shot, gets forever stuck down low with defense that is just as bad as BMac?

This bunch needs someone to be steady, and BMac is that if nothing else. Let's hope he finds his shot. And I'll bet he will.

In the meantime, Collins needs to add Ash's defense to help BMac and Lindsey's weaknesses.
Two guard offense with Ash and Mac is fine

out of curiousity, is the roster really going to be better next season, let alone significantly? I ask as someone that only follows NU as a fellow Big Ten team. I see 3 recruits in the top 60-120 ish of rankings depending on who you ask. I then see McIntosh, Lindsey, and Skelly graduating. IMHO it's kinda unlikely the 3 freshmen are better than those 3 seniors are right now, although they may eventually become so down the road. Then add in transfer Turner who should be a solid addition but probably not a star.

Am I missing somebody?

out of curiousity, is the roster really going to be better next season, let alone significantly? I ask as someone that only follows NU as a fellow Big Ten team. I see 3 recruits in the top 60-120 ish of rankings depending on who you ask. I then see McIntosh, Lindsey, and Skelly graduating. IMHO it's kinda unlikely the 3 freshmen are better than those 3 seniors are right now, although they may eventually become so down the road. Then add in transfer Turner who should be a solid addition but probably not a star.

Am I missing somebody?

Nope. Too much eggnog?

Am I missing somebody?

You are likely correct that each of the three freshman can't do as much as the current seniors. Turner was a two-year Big East starter, led his former team in minutes and summer reports from NU were that he's "good."

Kopp is expected to step right in for Lindsey, and while ratings don't matter he's considered a better prospect.

Lathon is better athletically than B Mac but comes in a year younger.

Nance is the prize and if he develops physically may be a next level player.

The big man is a development project.

Next year's roster will have better talent and athleticism than this year's roster.

Didn't Collins send BMac home last Xmas with the instruction to not play any BBall or even practice? He was taking things TOO seriously and needed to just find some joy. Wonder if there were any words of wisdom this year. For this team to accomplish anything this season, BMac needs to find a whole new level of play in B1G competition.

Kopp is expected to step right in for Lindsey, and while ratings don't matter he's considered a better prospect.

Lathon is better athletically than B Mac but comes in a year younger.

Nance is the prize and if he develops physically may be a next level player.

The big man is a development project.

Next year's roster will have better talent and athleticism than this year's roster.

While Kopp may be a better prospect than Lindsey, Lindsey scores 15 PPG fairly efficiently and with high usage rate. Kopp won't be anywhere close to that next season.

Lathon more athletic than McIntosh? Sure. He just won't be a better player next season.

And Nance might be a prize but isn't he more of a potentially elite athlete but more long term development as a player type prospect? When Michigan was recruiting him I remember thinking he might have to redshirt and would be pretty unlikely to do much as a freshman, needing to fill out physically a bit more.

While Kopp may be a better prospect than Lindsey, Lindsey scores 15 PPG fairly efficiently and with high usage rate. Kopp won't be anywhere close to that next season.

Lathon more athletic than McIntosh? Sure. He just won't be a better player next season.

And Nance might be a prize but isn't he more of a potentially elite athlete but more long term development as a player type prospect? When Michigan was recruiting him I remember thinking he might have to redshirt and would be pretty unlikely to do much as a freshman, needing to fill out physically a bit more.

I made the point twice, but I'll make it a third time for those of you in the Michigan militia.

Next year the roster is more talented and athletic than ever before.

I'm not saying that a frosh Lathon is better than a senior B Mac. Etc., etc.

Now go kill some defenseless wildlife, down a tall boy of PBR and MAGA.

I made the point twice, but I'll make it a third time for those of you in the Michigan militia.

Next year the roster is more talented and athletic than ever before.

I'm not saying that a frosh Lathon is better than a senior B Mac. Etc., etc.

Now go kill some defenseless wildlife, down a tall boy of PBR and MAGA.

If you are incapable of making a point, no need to attack some stereotype of who you think they might be (which is about as far from the truth as possible).

but please, carry on pretending that future potential = present talent level.

What did Mark Twain say about arguing with stupid people? They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

block, your posts were reasonable and didn't deserve the cheap shot which was meant as late night humor. The point was was about overall talent and athleticism. Not whether Lathon will walk through the doors a better pg than B Mac walking out.

In terms of expectations, one can make the argument that next year's team may be better. Pardon, Law, Falzon and AJ Turner are all experienced starters. Kopp and Lathon are reported to be of the quality to compete for starters minutes. Kopp especially has been singled out as someone ready to start today.

There are questions, as always about the bench. Will Rap heal up...will Benson continue to improve....ditto Ash and Brown...will Nance be a first year contributor...all valid.

Big picture, the roster is more talented and more athletic. It also has decent experience. If, unlike this year thus far, they have the attitude and mindset to gel, it could be a formidable team. Perhaps more formidable that this year's. That is dependent in small part on frosh and in large part on veteran players.

Last edited:
If you are incapable of making a point, no need to attack some stereotype of who you think they might be (which is about as far from the truth as possible).

but please, carry on pretending that future potential = present talent level.

You, sir (or ma'am) have not yet discovered the universally-accepted adage that the backup and the new recruits are ALWAYS better than the current starters, regardless (or irregardless) of the sport.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
You, sir (or ma'am) have not yet discovered the universally-accepted adage that the backup and the new recruits are ALWAYS better than the current starters, regardless (or irregardless) of the sport.
Well, NU will be losing two guys off the current roster and bringing 5 aboard. If Rap heals that will be six. Have faith in CC and his recruiting skills that could keep NU a NCAA and Conference contender in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT