ADVERTISEMENT

The Polisky fiasco highlights how NU athletics have changed

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
The hiring of Mike Polisky generated a backlash on campus and off, and his subsequent resignation has garnered a fair amount of media coverage and hand wringing.

Step back in time to 1975. The dirt track still circled the floor in McGaw hall where the last place MBB toiled under Tex Winter. The women’s team had no history of futility: it was just being formed. After reaching the #1 ranking in the early ‘60’s, the football team had experienced a steady decline to the cellar. The team’s training facilities did not match those of many high schools, and we all pissed on the wall in the restrooms of Dyche Stadium. Against that backdrop, Robert Strotz named failing football coach John Pont athletic director. The university community collectively shrugged, as athletics at NU generated very little passion.

Fast forward to 2021: The Fitz Carlton is among the best facilities in the country. The women’s BBall team plays for championships in the renovated basketball arena. Pat Fitzgerald leads his team to consistent winning seasons. In addition to BBall, women’s Softball, Lacrosse and Field Hockey teams are championship caliber. The men’s BBall team in recent history broke the NCAA drought. The university has invested in athletics, and the university community has become invested in how the Athletic Department is run. In contrast to 1975, people care about NU athletics. I am sorry the process of hiring a new director has been a fiasco, but happy that the university community cares. It is not 1975 any more.

We also have a Top 10 Wrestling program. Despite the AD ridiculousness, we’re still in a great place overall.

Don't kid yourselves. The pendulum could very easily swing back to the Strotz direction (I was a Sophomore in '75 and recall the athletics situation very well). Morty has been a huge supporter of big time athletics, there is no guarantee the next President will have the same fondness. And the student body isn't as into sports as Morty. So I could easily see NU backslide in coming years.

Last edited:
Also, there’s a lot more need for “content” these days. I doubt BTN has been covering, but hundreds (okay, dozens?) of sports and sports-adjacent websites with national and global audiences are.

The hiring of Mike Polisky generated a backlash on campus and off, and his subsequent resignation has garnered a fair amount of media coverage and hand wringing.

Step back in time to 1975. The dirt track still circled the floor in McGaw hall where the last place MBB toiled under Tex Winter. The women’s team had no history of futility: it was just being formed. After reaching the #1 ranking in the early ‘60’s, the football team had experienced a steady decline to the cellar. The team’s training facilities did not match those of many high schools, and we all pissed on the wall in the restrooms of Dyche Stadium. Against that backdrop, Robert Strotz named failing football coach John Pont athletic director. The university community collectively shrugged, as athletics at NU generated very little passion.

Fast forward to 2021: The Fitz Carlton is among the best facilities in the country. The women’s BBall team plays for championships in the renovated basketball arena. Pat Fitzgerald leads his team to consistent winning seasons. In addition to BBall, women’s Softball, Lacrosse and Field Hockey teams are championship caliber. The men’s BBall team in recent history broke the NCAA drought. The university has invested in athletics, and the university community has become invested in how the Athletic Department is run. In contrast to 1975, people care about NU athletics. I am sorry the process of hiring a new director has been a fiasco, but happy that the university community cares. It is not 1975 any more.
Hope we maintain what we have

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
It is not 1975 any more.
Thank God for that. This is what they wore back then:
95ac13a7a1a18f03974843823a36a274.jpg

Don't kid yourselves. The pendulum could very easily swing back to the Strotz direction (I was a Sophomore in '72 and recall the athletics situation very well). Morty has been a huge supporter of big time athletics, there is no guarantee the next President will have the same fondness. And the student body isn't as into sports as Morty. So I could easily see NU backslide in coming years.
This is something I’ve been thinking about. In trying to prevent this, NU/Morty hired Polisky thinking he would continue on the same path forward, but the backlash to his hiring may end up pushing NU in the opposite direction. Hopefully not.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
This is something I’ve been thinking about. In trying to prevent this, NU/Morty hired Polisky thinking he would continue on the same path forward, but the backlash to his hiring may end up pushing NU in the opposite direction. Hopefully not.
Very well might or might not, new person has a different vision. Now how long it takes to hire the next AD, that's another big question.

Reactions: zbag51
What I feared will likely happen-a politically correct hire that deemphasizes FB and BB
Not so sure that the new AD would deemphasize FB and BB. I just want a competent AD. If that's the case Fitz leaves and we might as well bail on the BT.

Speaking of one of our successful women's programs, I think the AD search team was pretty LAX about the process.

Yay two dad jokes in same thread

Reactions: ubercat
Don't kid yourselves. The pendulum could very easily swing back to the Strotz direction (I was a Sophomore in '75 and recall the athletics situation very well). Morty has been a huge supporter of big time athletics, there is no guarantee the next President will have the same fondness. And the student body isn't as into sports as Morty. So I could easily see NU backslide in coming years.
While the pendulum could swing, the area to watch isn't students, it's donors if you're looking at next 25 years.

The reason I'm not all that concerned is that the next group of big donors is likely as invested in the success of athletics as the current generation in power of Ryan's cohort is.

Those with memories of what it was like before Barnett don't want to go back to that; and I'd imagine the next major cohort of donors in their 50s/60s feels strongly about that.

The relative apathy of current students isn't quite as big a deal in the short-term although it is a concern.

I just can't be that worried when we've spent $400+ million and renovated facilities across the board except the football stadium which the big donors all want to do.

The AD (or a more nebulous concept like importance of athletics to the University) is like a battleship; there isn't going to be a sudden 180 degree turn to de-emphasis.

Obviously the next University President will have a lot of agenda-setting power, but I just don't see why ruin a situation that has brought tons of benefits to the University in terms of publicity (notwithstanding this bump in the road).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT