ADVERTISEMENT

The Posters around here should be on a short leash.

SciCat

Mar 7, 2005
After reading the comments over the past several months, it's clear most posters around here don't have a clue about coaching or playing football. I'm not even sure they have a clue about how to be a decent, supporting and critical fan.

IMO, most posters around here should be put on a short leash.

Reactions: Club151
Well the guy who started the "coaches should be on a short leash" thread, for one.

After reading the comments over the past several months, it's clear most posters around here don't have a clue about coaching or playing football. I'm not even sure they have a clue about how to be a decent, supporting and critical fan.

Right on. The world is full of experts that have no idea about that on which they opine.

And without them, comment boards such as this one would die a quiet death.

Actually, it is the other way around, imo. Trolls killed the basketball board for a good year or so, as intelligent posters just became fed up and exited in droves. This board nearly suffered a similar fate last season (as it is, several posters hardly post here anymore, preferring the Rock instead where the trolls don't post since they would have to actually pay for the privilege) until the mods took over and cut out the nonsense.

Actually, it is the other way around, imo. Trolls killed the basketball board for a good year or so, as intelligent posters just became fed up and exited in droves. This board nearly suffered a similar fate last season (as it is, several posters hardly post here anymore, preferring the Rock instead where the trolls don't post since they would have to actually pay for the privilege) until the mods took over and cut out the nonsense.

Basketball board seems live and well. Not sure what you're talking about. The only people who left were the Carmody huggers who loved Bill Carmody more than they did Northwestern. Good riddance.

Last edited:
Basketball board seems live and well. Not sure what you're talking about. The only people who left were the Carmody huggers who loved Bill Carmody more than they did Northwestern. Good riddance.

Hey, I'm still here (there)!!!!!

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it"

The existence of a proper ignore feature has really changed everything for the better. My script was lipstick on a pig and didn't work on all devices. If someone gets to you that much, they can now be dead to you, even if their screen name claims otherwise.

The existence of a proper ignore feature has really changed everything for the better. My script was lipstick on a pig and didn't work on all devices. If someone gets to you that much, they can now be dead to you, even if their screen name claims otherwise.

Did someone say something?

JK Villox, I don't have you on ignore.

Did someone say something?

JK Villox, I don't have you on ignore.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings. I use the ignore feature sparingly. I never use it on someone whose opinion I simply disagree with, even if vehemently. I use it on people who create multiple stupid threads or pollute the board by repeatedly posting the same thing.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I'm really kind of disappointed in the personal attacks on this board. I would have thought that we could be better than some Yahoo comments section. Who cares if someone makes a statement that was wrong? We're here to discuss, vent and cheer for Northwestern, aren't we? Not to keep track of personal stupid message board vendettas.

Like was said before, just use the ignore button. You can start with me if you like, I won't take it personally.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings. I use the ignore feature sparingly. I never use it on someone whose opinion I simply disagree with, even if vehemently. I use it on people who create multiple stupid threads or pollute the board by repeatedly posting the same thing.

my barometer is excessive use of exclamation points and/or posts that ask loaded questions as click-bait

"ignore"

Who cares if someone makes a statement that was wrong?

This is one of the ideas more people should pay attention to.

There's so much garbage floating around here (in my case, the basketball board) that if you're offended by inaccuracies, you really need to find another avenue for NU discussions.

Some posters are given a pass for their stupidity, and some are ABSOLUTELY SHREDDED to bits. In general, the difference between the supposedly dumb posters and many who are given a pass is very minimal.

It's a message board. Get over it.

This is unbelievable! NU is 1-0 and posters are already at each other's throats. It's an interesting image--NU football quietly taking care of business on one field and the posters from this board on an adjacent field in a mad scrum trying to tear each other's eyes out. It has become apparent that much of the crap on this board is from people trying to fill a void in their lives, which we have now learned even a winning team cannot help them accomplish.

Reactions: EvanstonCat

It's alive only after being dead for about a year and a half after Carmody was fired. And there are several reputable posters who took a long long time to return to that board, and some who have still not returned. And no, not all of them were Carmody huggers; far from it. They were just people who grew tired of the battles between Virginia, Doc, et. al. But feel free to troll away with this false narrative, hasn't stopped you before.

It's alive only after being dead for about a year and a half after Carmody was fired. And there are several reputable posters who took a long long time to return to that board, and some who have still not returned. And no, not all of them were Carmody huggers; far from it. They were just people who grew tired of the battles between Virginia, Doc, et. al. But feel free to troll away with this false narrative, hasn't stopped you before.

Talk about false narratives. A bunch of tree hugging Carmody lovers left the board. And continue to badmouth the Rivals community (and NU) on other channels. They put him above NU, and still have refused to return to renounce their sins. The real NU hoops fans stayed and were there for the past two years - active and engaged and talking mainly hoops (in contrast there is a lot more nonsensical digression of topic on the football board). Even DocCat, who was a different kind of Carmody hugger (thought it was a mistake to fire Carmody, but appears to have embraced the Collins era because he clearly is an NU fan), never left the Board (and for that I am grateful), and I did not notice any substantive dip in activity much less board death (for board death, please see Scout), in fact the board is much more positive after said departures and continues to be today.

BTW, thanks for the completely unprovoked personal attack. Irony.

Talk about false narratives. A bunch of tree hugging Carmody lovers left the board. And continue to badmouth the Rivals community (and NU) on other channels. They put him above NU, and still have refused to return to renounce their sins. The real NU hoops fans stayed and were there for the past two years - active and engaged and talking mainly hoops (in contrast there is a lot more nonsensical digression of topic on the football board). Even DocCat, who was a different kind of Carmody hugger (thought it was a mistake to fire Carmody, but appears to have embraced the Collins era because he clearly is an NU fan), never left the Board (and for that I am grateful), and I did not notice any substantive dip in activity much less board death (for board death, please see Scout), in fact the board is much more positive after said departures and continues to be today.

You disparage people as "Carmody huggers" and criticize and then call me out for personally attacking you. That's rich. If you did not notice the dramatic drop in traffic on the basketball board after the Carmody wars, you were just not paying attention. Why do you think the mods stepped up their activity when the football board when the same thing started to happen and people here were breaking board rules left and right? Because people who just wanted to have good conservatioin did not appreciate being trolled and flamed.

You disparage people as "Carmody huggers" and criticize and then call me out for personally attacking you. That's rich. If you did not notice the dramatic drop in traffic on the basketball board after the Carmody wars, you were just not paying attention. Why do you think the mods stepped up their activity when the football board when the same thing started to happen and people here were breaking board rules left and right? Because people who just wanted to have good conservatioin did not appreciate being trolled and flamed.

conversation.

So, point out how I made a personal attack on anyone in this thread. I referred to a nameless set of people who aren't even on these boards. Not a single personal attack.

The basketball board may have settled down a bit once the Carmody trolls left, but there was plenty of conversation and discussion, very good discussion I might add, during Collins' first year. Perhaps, you were one of those who left - I really didn't notice, but your not being present on the boards for whatever reason might explain why your perspective was different from mine.

I think you're misremembering, Evanston.

There was a time, and there was still some of it last year, where every thread had potential to turn into a Carmody thread. I distinctly recall a two page thread last season in the Jan-Feb timeframe that I came in on two days late and 80 posts in, only to find that it was, despite the subject line, primarily Carmody venting. Pretty much, if there are two pages of posts on a hoops thread, and it's not a game thread, it's 50/50 carmody bashing/Carmody hugger bashing and subsequent personal attacks.

If the wrong person suggests that NU in 2016 should experiment with the 1-3-1 or states that Olah (old regime recruit) is the best guy in the roster or that Falzon's ceiling doesn't compare to Shurna's, well, watch out...

That board is still on orange alert, IMO. And lots of people didn't come back because it was misery. Nice that we could bring a taste of it here.

I think you're misremembering, Evanston.

There was a time, and there was still some of it last year, where every thread had potential to turn into a Carmody thread. I distinctly recall a two page thread last season in the Jan-Feb timeframe that I came in on two days late and 80 posts in, only to find that it was, despite the subject line, primarily Carmody venting. Pretty much, if there are two pages of posts on a hoops thread, and it's not a game thread, it's 50/50 carmody bashing/Carmody hugger bashing and subsequent personal attacks.

If the wrong person suggests that NU in 2016 should experiment with the 1-3-1 or states that Olah (old regime recruit) is the best guy in the roster or that Falzon's ceiling doesn't compare to Shurna's, well, watch out...

That board is still on orange alert, IMO. And lots of people didn't come back because it was misery. Nice that we could bring a taste of it here.

Oh, I never said anything about Carmody not being a focal point of discussion or having a tendency to be dragged into almost every topic. There was a lot of Carmody talk, and sure some people didn't like it. But, to say that the Board was dead was not true at all. There was plenty of discussion. And not all of it was on Carmody - we did actually talk about that 1st season when Collins made a run late in the season. We actually did talk about basketball last season and everyone could begin to see the light. And both seasons when we started landing recruits that we never had seen in numbers before at NU, there was a lot of discussion. Did Carmody come up in discussion? Sure. But, the board was far, far from dead.

stop your nasty personal attacks! So personal! So nasty!
DSC_1145.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT