ADVERTISEMENT

The problem with the “due for a down year” argument

I think so.

Barring injury, which is unpredictable, we have the following returning next season:
  • QB: Trent Green (assuming medical RS), Johnson
  • RB: Bowser, McGowan, Hull, Anderson, Porter (unknown)
  • WR: Skowronek (see Green), Lees, RCB, JJ Jefferson, ARY (unknown)
  • SB: Pugh
  • OL: 4 of 5 starters including stud Slater, add new talent like Skoronski, etc.
Compare this team to the B1G West champions from last year, and it's not that huge of a drop-off in talent. Obviously we don't have a Thorson-caliber QB but I believe Green is serviceable and Johnson could be improved. I would argue that the OL could be even better than last year's team.
Your kidding right? Since Fitz apparently has written Johnson off, NU does not have a proven QB, or for that matter a stud RB. No receivers have shown true starting ability, the SB spot is non existent, while the OL is a work in progress. Luckily they have three very winnable non-conference games but then there is the Big Ten Portion. Where will those six wins come from?

Your kidding right? Since Fitz apparently has written Johnson off, NU does not have a proven QB, or for that matter a stud RB. No receivers have shown true starting ability, the SB spot is non existent, while the OL is a work in progress. Luckily they have three very winnable non-conference games but then there is the Big Ten Portion. Where will those six wins come from?

Stop the whining! *slap slap* Man, get a hold of yourself. Act like you've been an NU fan before. You of all people should realize there is nothing easy about being an NU fan.

Since when was Johnson a "proven" QB? Maybe in the minds of fans like you and me, but he hasn't proven anything on the field this year.

A healthy Bowser isn't a "stud" RB?

Lees, Skowronek, etc. have all proved their playmaking ability.

The OL is going to be pretty good next year, led by 4-year starter Rashawn Slater, and returning 4 of 5 starters, with decent depth due to playing time for backups when some starters got injured. And we have probably one of the top linemen recruits in the country, Skoronski, coming in.

I say the nucleus is solid for next year. Just need a new OC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT